Supermarkets offering "take-out"

stuckincincy

The grocery marts in this area - SW Ohio - have noticed the times, and have greatly expanded their prepared, take-it-home offerings. Kroger - this is their headquarters - have modified several stores to this end. Their competitors here are following suit.

The idea being - if you don't cook at home, buy here, Don't pay the high restaurant prices.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the 90's...Wegmans, Ukrops, Kroger, Hannafords have all been doing it for years

The grocery marts in this area - SW Ohio - have noticed the times, and have greatly expanded their prepared, take-it-home offerings. Kroger - this is their headquarters - have modified several stores to this end. Their competitors here are following suit.

The idea being - if you don't cook at home, buy here, Don't pay the high restaurant prices.

Welcome to the 90's...Wegmans, Ukrops, Kroger, Hannafords have all been doing it for years

Thanks for your snotty "Welcome", Pooj. <_< Who isn't aware of the dried-out chicken or the suspect deli potato salad that's been there for decades?

I was noting the recent increase...

Thanks for your snotty "Welcome", Pooj. <_< Who isn't aware of the dried-out chicken or the suspect deli potato salad that's been there for decades?

Actually, the thing I've noticed that is telling of the times is the return of "lay-away." It'd be great if more people would subscribe to this way of buying items instead of tossing them on credit cards. If you're going to make payments, make them interest-free. The only difference -- and naturally, the problem with this -- is you can't take the items home with you when you first pick them out.

no seriously, if you have never seen a wegmans and thier take out counters(everything from paninis to chinese to fried to just about anything) you have been missing out, and in this area I know Ukrops and Kroger have been doing it for years...the 90's remark was a bit of a stretch, but its been a while over 5 years i am certain....

I have a sister that's a manager at Publix. I think it was about 2 years ago now she told me that Publix was thinking about making some big changes in that direction. I compared it to the pre-made stuff you see at most places, but she said it was a new thing that was going to, in a way, change the focus of what a grocery store is.

She said, as Cinci stated, Publix was seeing huge declines in shoppers and decided they needed to start trying to bring in the take-out crowd if they were going to continue on.

I don't live in the area, so I have no idea if any of that is happening.

no seriously, if you have never seen a wegmans and thier take out counters(everything from paninis to chinese to fried to just about anything) you have been missing out, and in this area I know Ukrops and Kroger have been doing it for years...the 90's remark was a bit of a stretch, but its been a while over 5 years i am certain....

Exactly... I started working at Dubel's (Como/Appletree) in the mid-1980's when I was a teenager... Actually, I was a bit under age to work the slicers... Nobody said anything... I worked in the deli... There was all kinds of take out... From the chicken that Cincy so affectionately remembers to all kinds of stuff... People would call and we would make it up... From pizza and wings to fish on Friday.

And yes... I consider this all take out... Like I said, I don't remeber the menu except we made what ever the customer wanted.

What planet are you from Cincy? :):lol:

I have a sister that's a manager at Publix. I think it was about 2 years ago now she told me that Publix was thinking about making some big changes in that direction. I compared it to the pre-made stuff you see at most places, but she said it was a new thing that was going to, in a way, change the focus of what a grocery store is.

She said, as Cinci stated, Publix was seeing huge declines in shoppers and decided they needed to start trying to bring in the take-out crowd if they were going to continue on.

I don't live in the area, so I have no idea if any of that is happening.

Wow... Like I said... This has been going on well over 20 years in the BFLO area. Like I said... Whatever the customer wanted we would do... Those were the days when you would even slice the person's roast they cooked at home... I still rememeber Ed Dubel running around after getting a crazy take out order asking: "We can do this? Sure, we can do this!" Sometimes we would cook whole Thanksgiving Day dinners! There was a kitchen back there... :lol::)

Wow... We must have been ahead of our time... Look at even Twin Fair back in the day... Way ahead of the Super Wal-Marts, Super Targets, and Super K-Marts...

BFLO seems to be a head on this crap and then they jump off the wagon and then watch the rest of the nation jump back on. Remeber the trend at national beers that put a kabosh to local BFLO brewers... Only for the micro-brewers to spring back up in the 1980's... :doh::wallbash:

to his credit, he did indicate an increase which i didnt read properly, in that respect he is correct

Exactly... I started working at Dubel's (Como/Appletree) in the mid-1980's when I was a teenager... Actually, I was a bit under age to work the slicers... Nobody said anything... I worked in the deli... There was all kinds of take out... From the chicken that Cincy so affectionately remembers to all kinds of stuff... People would call and we would make it up... From pizza and wings to fish on Friday.

And yes... I consider this all take out... Like I said, I don't remeber the menu except we made what ever the customer wanted.

What planet are you from Cincy? :):lol:

Wow... Like I said... This has been going on well over 20 years in the BFLO area.

It's on a larger scales now. It's not meant to be a way for some customers to get a pre-cooked meal. It's meant to let everyone do so, and in high traffic markets.

Again, as I understand it.

to his credit, he did indicate an increase which i didnt read properly, in that respect he is correct

Increase true. Yes, he is technically correct... But, come on!

What respecting grocer that had a full service deli and kitchen wouldn't take ANY order? Back in the day, that is how it was done.

I would be shot dead by modern owners if I did what I did back then... I'd have the old Polish ladies all in line waiting for me to slice their coldcuts :lol::) ... I'd print the tab from the scale and make it CLEARLY known that an extra slice went on... They'd come back for more and not worry how much you went over later! :doh:

It is called good business... Unfortunately, the biggger Tops and Wegman's got... The smallers couldn't compete or they generation of future family grocers dried up.

no one indicated that no one knows how to cook...unfortunately we, i shouldnt speak for others, so I give myslf too many excuses these days not to do so all the time, its simply a convenience and we pay extra for it

Does anyone know how to cook these days?

Does anyone know how to cook these days?

Why should they... They got people like you to do it for them!

:doh::wallbash:

My mother-in-law was in the grocery store (Wegman's) a while back and some young couple came up to her when she was picking out iceberg lettuce... They asked: "What's that?" My mother-in-law almost fell to the floor dead... She said: "A head of lettuce." The woman replied: "Oh ya, my mother used to use that."

:):lol:

no one indicated that no one knows how to cook...unfortunately we, i shouldnt speak for others, so I give myslf too many excuses these days not to do so all the time, its simply a convenience and we pay extra for it

Hense the negative savings rate in this country.