Obama Might Open a "Torture Commission"

We can just call this "change"

http://www.newsweek.com/id/170368

Despite the hopes of many human-rights advocates, the new Obama Justice Department is not likely to launch major new criminal probes of harsh interrogations and other alleged abuses by the Bush administration. But one idea that has currency among some top Obama advisers is setting up a 9/11-style commission that would investigate counterterrorism policies and make public as many details as possible. "At a minimum, the American people have to be able to see and judge what happened," said one senior adviser, who asked not to be identified talking about policy matters. The commission would be empowered to order the U.S. intelligence agencies to open their files for review and question senior officials who approved "waterboarding" and other controversial practices.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can just call this "change"

http://www.newsweek.com/id/170368

That will do WONDERS for our security and effectiveness of the agencies that carry out these operations. Next, in the spirit of cooperation, the DoD can release to China the blueprints to the JSF and F-22 weapons systems!

Even if youre against the Bush's policies vis a vis interrogation, anybody with even a PEA for a brain has to admit that "making as much of our conterterrorism operations public" has to be one of the DUMBEST ideas on the planet.

That will do WONDERS for our security and effectiveness of the agencies that carry out these operations. Next, in the spirit of cooperation, the DoD can release to China the blueprints to the JSF and F-22 weapons systems!

Even if youre against the Bush's policies vis a vis interrogation, anybody with even a PEA for a brain has to admit that "making as much of our conterterrorism operations public" has to be one of the DUMBEST ideas on the planet.

LOL, ya, the world might learn we question suspected terrorists! Big secret there

So that's how you earn a living RK! Makes sense now

No, dummy. It was a request for something I want YOU to do.

If that one takes too much work for you, then just camp out in the truck lanes of the Interstate. If you can rub the two brain cells you have together long enough to find it.

Well, we do have an open policy of not torturing people. So.. if we're not going to have that poilicy, then I'd be fine with torturing folks. But since we do have that policy, we sure as sh-- better stick to it.

Well, we do have an open policy of not torturing people. So.. if we're not going to have that poilicy, then I'd be fine with torturing folks. But since we do have that policy, we sure as sh-- better stick to it.

Right, because the bad guys will sure as hell abide by our policies. <_<

Yeah, so let's sink to their level!

I know this is reaaaalllly tough for liberals to get their heads around, but sometimes in war and dealing with bad people....you have to do bad things.

Are you willing to "not stoop to their level" if you knew by doing so youd prevent a mass attack on our soil? To your family, itself?

So they made the mastermind of 9/11 think he was drowing for a grand total of 30 seconds.

IMO, making him believe he was drowing FOR THIRTY !@#$ING YEARS wouldnt be enough.

If America has a "no torture" policy, then how come my wife's forcing me to watch "Dancing With The Stars" tonight?

If America has a "no torture" policy, then how come my wife's forcing me to watch "Dancing With The Stars" tonight?

Y'know, I make the argument that 99% of homosexuals don't consciously decide to become gay, but you may want to talk to the 1% who do. You may have something in common. <_<

I know this is reaaaalllly tough for liberals to get their heads around, but sometimes in war and dealing with bad people....you have to do bad things.

Are you willing to "not stoop to their level" if you knew by doing so youd prevent a mass attack on our soil? To your family, itself?

So they made the mastermind of 9/11 think he was drowing for a grand total of 30 seconds.

IMO, making him believe he was drowing FOR THIRTY !@#$ING YEARS wouldnt be enough.

Yes, no matter how despicable the actions of our enemies might be, we should follow the 'eye for an eye' policy and give it right back to them (only worse)! What better way to promote our democratic values? The end ALWAYS justifies the means.

For that matter, what better way to promote our Christian values?

!@#$in libtards.

I think the pro-torture crowd has been watching too much 24.

"Pro-torture crowd"? I've never heard anyone actually be pro-torture. Just express varying degrees of apathy.

Of course, when idiots of your ilk describe such things as "exposing prisoners to women in miniskirts" or "overfeeding prisoners and increasing their BMI to unhealthy levels" as torture, the apathy becomes understandable.

That's fine, whatever. If we're going to do that we better rescind all claims of and back out of the Geneva Convention treaties. Right now we just just look like a bunch of "do as I say, not as I do" scumbags who claim not to toture people but then do it anyways.

Perhaps you conservatives need to learn to get your heads around the concepts of honor and dignity?

That's fine, whatever. If we're going to do that we better rescind all claims of and back out of the Geneva Convention treaties. Right now we just just look like a bunch of "do as I say, not as I do" scumbags who claim not to toture people but then do it anyways.

Perhaps you conservatives need to learn to get your heads around the concepts of honor and dignity?

Do you consider abortion torture?

"Pro-torture crowd"? I've never heard anyone actually be pro-torture. Just express varying degrees of apathy.

I think that's mostly true. In some ways "Pro torture" is like "Pro abortion". I have met few people who actually believe that more of either is a good thing.

But, I think there are a few people in either/both of those groups that REALLY LIKE them. Gotta account for the sickos, ya know.