Look! Up in the sky!

/dev/null

That sounds amazing! I love astronomy and have seen many great Taurid fireballs this year. One I thought was a plane crashing- it was so bright, and in a swift downward descent. Labor Day to New Years is the best time for meteor showers. On any clear night during this time there is a decent chance of catching a brilliant fireball

funny you bring this up, this morning i was driving my son to work, it was about 5.50 am so the sky was still dark, i turned my head and as i turned back to the front, thought i saw something white falling from the sky then it was gone. My son immediately says, "What was that?" so apparently it wasnt just a glare of a headlight and the turning of my head. I don't know if it was a shooting star as they normally streak across the sky, this one seemed to be falling to the earth. it was in the western sky, so not sure if it is related....i know that article is from yesterday so its not the same incident, but could be related???? pretty cool nonetheless

funny you bring this up, this morning i was driving my son to work, it was about 5.50 am so the sky was still dark, i turned my head and as i turned back to the front, thought i saw something white falling from the sky then it was gone. My son immediately says, "What was that?" so apparently it wasnt just a glare of a headlight and the turning of my head. I don't know if it was a shooting star as they normally streak across the sky, this one seemed to be falling to the earth. it was in the western sky, so not sure if it is related....i know that article is from yesterday so its not the same incident, but could be related???? pretty cool nonetheless

Pooj- that was a fireball. Consider yourself lucky to catch a glimpse- those things are amazing!

what causes that? is it a break off of a meteor? i wish i had my eyes forward the whole time, as i only caught about 1/2 to 3/4 of a second of it, not that it lasted much longer, but i would have had a clearer view

Pooj- that was a fireball. Consider yourself lucky to catch a glimpse- those things are amazing!

what causes that? is it a break off of a meteor? i wish i had my eyes forward the whole time, as i only caught about 1/2 to 3/4 of a second of it, not that it lasted much longer, but i would have had a clearer view

I am guessing that was a Taurid fireball. Taurids come from Comet Encke. They are dust and debris in the comets tail, and when they hit our atmosphere at high rates of speed they glow as they speed across the sky. Meteors are usually about the size of dust. A fireball is larger