David Brook's Latest

I'm surprised you didn't link this impressive critique of Brooks' conservative qualifications....

How can I critique what you refuse to offer? He's been described here as very conservative, occupying as he does the position of token conservative on the NYT, but nobody will provide any examples of his conservative positions other than 'I've read his columns and he's a strong conservative voice.' I see very little difference between him and the geeky guy Fox trots out to represent the left in debates.

I'm not asking for much - just a couple of examples of positions that would merit his being called very conservative. It is certainly not anything related to social issues - he is in favor of same -sex marriage, is a feminist, and in favor of some gun control. He has spoken out against the small government philosophy that one usually identifies with conservativism. He's certainly not an old-school conservative in foreign policy, he's more of a pro-Israel neocon. So what are his conservative credentials?

Neither can Biden, but look who's VP elect.

I know, Biden actually thought that being the VP was equivalent to being a second Senate Majority Leader...actually that was Sarah Palin...who doesn't know that Africa is a continent and not a country...or what newspaper she reads...whose ticket you voted for...

How can I critique what you refuse to offer? He's been described here as very conservative, occupying as he does the position of token conservative on the NYT, but nobody will provide any examples of his conservative positions other than 'I've read his columns and he's a strong conservative voice.' I see very little difference between him and the geeky guy Fox trots out to represent the left in debates.

I'm not asking for much - just a couple of examples of positions that would merit his being called very conservative. It is certainly not anything related to social issues - he is in favor of same -sex marriage, is a feminist, and in favor of some gun control. He has spoken out against the small government philosophy that one usually identifies with conservativism. He's certainly not an old-school conservative in foreign policy, he's more of a pro-Israel neocon. So what are his conservative credentials?

Why are you arguing this when you obviously and clearly know zero about him and are simply quoting from a wiki bio which basically just takes all of the contrary positions he has had over the 20 plus years in the public eye as examples.

I know, Biden actually thought that being the VP was equivalent to being a second Senate Majority Leader...actually that was Sarah Palin...who doesn't know that Africa is a continent and not a country...or what newspaper she reads...whose ticket you voted for...

God, you are so obsessed with Palin, it's almost scary. But thanks for playing the liberal card of "I know MY candidate is a !@#$ing moron and has no clue of what the role of a VP is, but YOUR candidate spends a lot on clothes!!!!"

Your party must be very proud of you taking one last punch at Palin. Keep up the swinging good work. Every time her eye starts to heal, you're there to clock her one more time.

In the end, YOUR moron is VP elect, so I hope he brushes up on his history so he knows what his role actually will be.

Why are you arguing this when you obviously and clearly know zero about him and are simply quoting from a wiki bio which basically just takes all of the contrary positions he has had over the 20 plus years in the public eye as examples.

Yeah, so I only know him from his op-eds and the talk shows. So enlighten me.

I've at least googled his positions. You've just been spouting without offering anything to support it. You don't like wiki - fine. Give me a list of his positions, if you don't like what I came up with. I'm still waiting for some justification as to why he is considered very conservative, other than he wears that label at the NYT. What are his positions that make him a leader of conservative intellectuals?