Bills' Defense

silvermike

The D has been pretty good for the most part yet they have the exact same problems that Bills Ds over the past 7 or so years have had - when they have to step up at the end of a game and make a stop they cannot do it. They either allow long time consuming drives or they allow just enough points to be scored to lose games.

And, I think if we were to go back and look at those situations, we will find that, in most of them, the D was asked to play passively. There were times when, I am guessing, they were also exhausted from being on the field for the entire 4th Quarter.

But, I get your point.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And, I think if we were to go back and look at those situations, we will find that, in most of them, the D was asked to play passively. There were times when, I am guessing, they were also exhausted from being on the field for the entire 4th Quarter.

Definitely. Not that giving the ball back to the offense would have made a difference.

I like to look at where the Bills have drafted on defense these past three years:

7 DB's (Whitner, McKelvin, Youboty, Simpson, Corner, Wendling, Cox)

2 LB's (Posluszny, Ellison)

2 DT's (McCargo, Williams)

2 DE's (Ellis, Ah You)

It's easy to pick apart drafts, but taking 7 DB's in three drafts has hurt. When you consider that when Levy and Jauron took over, the Bills had Clements, Greer, Milloy, and McGee, it's hard to understand all the resources allocated toward the secondary. When they did draft a DL, it was a bust with McCargo.

Priorities on defense begin at DL, then LB, then secondary. We're seeing how a lack of a real pass rush affects the entire team. Spending picks on DB's is worthless without a front seven to help them.

What I can't comprehend is that many of the things which killed the Bills in recent years are still appearing. They still allow long drives and fail to get turnovers. Those have been problems all three years DJ's been HC. Having a C2 base defense requires you get turnovers. Unfortunately, without a pass rush that won't happen anytime soon.

Good post but also add where these picks were made .... You could argue that Poz should have been a first rounder but he was not, McCargo is a bust, Therefore, the only high picks were in the secondary. No matter how you slice it, picks in rounds 4 - 7 are not as likely to be high impact players. Kyle Williams is one of the exceptions but he is not pro bowl calibur. It has been on the board many times before but if you keep letting o-line and d-line go to mid and low round picks your team will suffer.