Nov 19, 1863. The Gettysburg Address

stuckincincy

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

- President Abraham Lincoln, November 19, 1863.

It is truly amazing how many times I can walk into the Lincoln Memorial and get tears in my eyes reading this speech. I would say on average once a year for the last 17 years

Yeah. Cannot read those words without tearing up. Cannot visit the Memorial without sensing how small I really am.

I went to Getttysburg for the first time this past year. Incredible place, incredible speech in it's simplicity.

Well...I suppose if you've never been to a Civil War battlefield before...then yeah, Gettysburg is okay...

Seriously...Gettysburg battlefield, as it's maintained, always strikes me as a typically American triumph of style over substance. (Too many damned obelisks). Next time your out east, go to Antietam. Gettysburg isn't a historical site, it's a museum of monuments to a historical site. Antietam has barely changed since the battle was fought. The Cornfield, Burnside's Bridge, the Sunken Road...all still there. (The Sunken Road is pretty scary, standing in it looking uphill where the Union charge came from, knowing where you're standing bodies were piled three-deep. :lol:)

The Gettysburg Address...one of my favorites. Somehow, reading it in the Lincoln Memorial is deeply moving.

For the younger members of the current era, with apologies to President Lincoln.

:lol:

Nice

The Gettysburg Address is awesome for its beauty and brevity. As most of you know, it wasn't thought much of, at the time, as it was considered to be, among other things, far too short. If only modern politicians could learn from this model. Get to the point, with some style, but be brief.

Well...I suppose if you've never been to a Civil War battlefield before...then yeah, Gettysburg is okay...

Seriously...Gettysburg battlefield, as it's maintained, always strikes me as a typically American triumph of style over substance. (Too many damned obelisks). Next time your out east, go to Antietam. Gettysburg isn't a historical site, it's a museum of monuments to a historical site. Antietam has barely changed since the battle was fought. The Cornfield, Burnside's Bridge, the Sunken Road...all still there. (The Sunken Road is pretty scary, standing in it looking uphill where the Union charge came from, knowing where you're standing bodies were piled three-deep. ;))

The Gettysburg Address...one of my favorites. Somehow, reading it in the Lincoln Memorial is deeply moving.

Tom, as a follower of what went on at that site for those three days in July, I can look past all of that gaudy shiit and still feel a sense of amazement at how big it was. It was incredible to travel through there and have it all make sense. To stand on little round top and look down on Devil's den. To stand on Cemetary ridge and imagine 12,000 rebel soldiers coming towards you during Pickett's charge is almost overwhelming. But I do agree and was a bit disappointed with the number of monuments there.

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

I wish our current "leaders" shared that humility.

P.S. Cincy, how early did you have to get to that speech to have a good seat?

wtf happened?

I wish our current "leaders" shared that humility.

Great Grandpaw arranged it.

He was in the Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Regiment 9, Company B. A 16 year old apprentice carpenter settled in Cincinnati when hostilities commenced.

Buncha krauts - the initial regimental commander, Col. McCook, was killed near New Market, AL., and replaced by Lt. Col. Gustaves Kaemmerling.

Old Georg got his leg drilled during the Chickamauga and Chattanooga battles while storming Lookout Mountain. Survived as a cripple in the rear echelons to fight again at Mission Ridge TN and Buzzard's Roost, GA.

Then drifted north after the war, and married a WNY gal. Her family were Presbyterian abolitionists who were part of the Underground Railroad, so when he wooed a daughter, in their lights his ethical credentials were sterling and was allowed to marry her even though he couldn't work land due to his combat damage.

You beat me to it Crayonz... :ph34r:

Seriously, what very powerful statements. Those who don't read it and reflect on what those words truly mean have no idea how precious freedom is and how powerful a nation of people the US was or can be.

Never been to a civil war battle field site, would love to go sometime though.

Leaders in government, including Lincoln, have been power grabbing for centuries. After enough time, it all comes down.

I'm pretty mild mannered. Wouldn't hurt a flea. Very conservative by nature. However, it really does seem like the time for some sort of revolution/reset is approaching, if not here already. I know I shouldn't be posting such on the internet but the mentality seems to ingrained and pervasive. Anyone that comes around that truly makes sense is quickly pushed into obscurity or the sidelines.

I'm pretty mild mannered. Wouldn't hurt a flea. Very conservative by nature. However, it really does seem like the time for some sort of revolution/reset is approaching, if not here already. I know I shouldn't be posting such on the internet but the mentality seems to ingrained and pervasive. Anyone that comes around that truly makes sense is quickly pushed into obscurity or the sidelines.

Guess it depends on what everyone wants. The fact is, the government that was set up by our founders is long gone. A good example of this is the fact that everyone is asking if congress "should" bail someone out, instead of "can" they.

I find it hard to believe that the majority care though. And as long as we have the contrived competition of democrat vs. republican to hold the mass interest, we are a long way from reform.