Today's Mort Chat

Coach Tuesday

Hey let's all pile on. The other major gaffe is that Wilson didn't keep Smith after Butler left. Popular line is that Smith followed Butler. Yet, Smith said at the time that he would consider the GM job if he was offered it. History has shown that Smith is a better GM than Butler.

Bottom line is that there's no reason for Mort to carry Donahoe's water, as no matter how bad Ralph is, Donahoe proved to be very mediocre in his assignment as well.

Really? I am not sure about that...Smith seems to be one instance where I don't think Ralph can be blamed. Everything I have heard about the guy has been negative...I think you could attribute the Chargers underachieving ways (remember, the Chargers have been the perennial "most talented team in the leauge" for some time), in large part to AJ's inability to deal with people like a professional. His temper and negativity seem to pour out, everytime you see or read anything he says. The way he treated Schottenheimer was classless. Talent will win you some ball games, but a GM's job goes beyond just that. I think, ulitimately, AJ takes the fall for the Chargers failures, and I can't help but feel it would be justified.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly did Ralph do now?

Out of respect for Butler? You have to be kidding me. He brought his name up, made a clear accusation and then tries to take a step away from it with that BS? It is time for Mort to go.

What's that show where they talk about the line "With all due respect" as a way of canning someone "politely"

OK, I am not a stalwart supporter of Mr. Wilson, but he has passed on making a lot more money by allowing the team to leave WNY. That said, what about our team's current situation is the "fault" of our owner? Is he saying we could have better coaches and players right now if it weren't for Mr. Wilson? Is he saying Mr. Wilson is meddling with the team right now, throwing off the team and wasting all the early success?

How is it Ralph's fault we lost Monday night?

Before Bill Polian came to Buffalo Ralph Wilson had been known for running a very strict and tight business side of the game. Meaning that he didn't have his nose into everything like the late owner of the Colts Robert Irsay. But he did make his staff account for every penny spent by the organization.

Then came Bill Polian who talked some sense into Mr Wilson by stating that spending money on top quality players that will put butts in the seats and ultimately make more money for the team. Lets not forget that indeed the NFL is a business and Mr Wilson could have easily taken the $$$ and loaded up the trucks and moved the team outta Buffalo, Just ask any Cleveland Browns fan how they feel about Art Modell,who moved his team in the dark of night to Baltimore.

Just thank the lord ole Ralph isn't like another longtime current owner who has his nose in everything in his team and has currently screwed them into the ground because he wants to play GM. Anyone wanna hazard a guess here?

I applauded the hiring of Dick Jauron because his past history was that of building a power running game and stout defense,somewhat conservative and predictable,but smash mouth on both sides of the line.Man was I wrong thinking that!

If Jauron doesn't stop the always in the shotgun ...constant throwing, throwing,throwing,throwing,throwing (did I say throwing)and start running the ball. He should be fired asap!

Really? I am not sure about that...Smith seems to be one instance where I don't think Ralph can be blamed. Everything I have heard about the guy has been negative...I think you could attribute the Chargers underachieving ways (remember, the Chargers have been the perennial "most talented team in the leauge" for some time), in large part to AJ's inability to deal with people like a professional. His temper and negativity seem to pour out, everytime you see or read anything he says. The way he treated Schottenheimer was classless. Talent will win you some ball games, but a GM's job goes beyond just that. I think, ulitimately, AJ takes the fall for the Chargers failures, and I can't help but feel it would be justified.

I'm not referring to Smith's style or personality, just the hard facts that he elevated the Chargers out of the mess that Butler got them into. Butler was a nice guy, so many give him a pass for the last years of his Bills tenure, including the disaster drafts and FA acquisitions that gave Chargers top 5 draft picks during his tenure. The Chargers fortune coincidentally(?) reversed when Smith was elevated to GM. Granted he totally screwed up the coaching situation two yrs ago, but his tenure has been far more productive than what Bills have had since 2001.