Today's Mort Chat

Coach Tuesday

This one wasn't me folks:

Eric (Long Island, NY): Chris you said for Bills fans to be patient last week but now that they are 5-5 are they done? What does this team need to do to finally make the playoffs sometime this century?

Chris Mortensen: (11:51 AM ET ) Look, it's difficult for me to really identify the issues with the Bills because many of you think it is connected only to my relationship with ex-GM Tom Donohoe. I'll give you a clue: Why do you think the late John Butler couldn't wait to escape to San Diego when we all thought he was a lifer? He told me why but out of respect for Butler, I'm going to leave it to your logic and imagination. I still say, be patient.

Yikes, wtf? How is that responsive? Guess he's saying that it's Ralph's fault.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly did Ralph do now?

Out of respect for Butler? You have to be kidding me. He brought his name up, made a clear accusation and then tries to take a step away from it with that BS? It is time for Mort to go.

What exactly did Ralph do now?

Out of respect for Butler? You have to be kidding me. He brought his name up, made a clear accusation and then tries to take a step away from it with that BS? It is time for Mort to go.

Do you think he's blaming the fans? I've read it again, perhaps that's what he means? Bizarre.

UPDATE (cleared that one up fast):

Coach Tuesday (NYC): Mort, it sure sounds like you're either blaming the Bills' fans, owner, or both. It's a passionate fanbase, all we want is a winner. Please don't hold that against us.

Chris Mortensen: (11:59 AM ET ) Well, I wasn't referring to the fans, in this case and I do know how passionate it is.

Do you think he's blaming the fans? I've read it again, perhaps that's what he means? Bizarre.

Sure is what it sounds like. He hasn't been shy about openly criticizing Ralph in the past so why wouldn't he now?

EDIT: OK so he didn't mean the fans but why not just call Ralph out like he has before?

This one wasn't me folks:

Eric (Long Island, NY): Chris you said for Bills fans to be patient last week but now that they are 5-5 are they done? What does this team need to do to finally make the playoffs sometime this century?

Chris Mortensen: (11:51 AM ET ) Look, it's difficult for me to really identify the issues with the Bills because many of you think it is connected only to my relationship with ex-GM Tom Donohoe. I'll give you a clue: Why do you think the late John Butler couldn't wait to escape to San Diego when we all thought he was a lifer? He told me why but out of respect for Butler, I'm going to leave it to your logic and imagination. I still say, be patient.

Hey - I think he's right. The owner is a problem. Granted, I appreciate him, but he's a meddler. I mean, how do you fire Polian and run Butler out of town? Isn't that obvious?

OK, I am not a stalwart supporter of Mr. Wilson, but he has passed on making a lot more money by allowing the team to leave WNY. That said, what about our team's current situation is the "fault" of our owner? Is he saying we could have better coaches and players right now if it weren't for Mr. Wilson? Is he saying Mr. Wilson is meddling with the team right now, throwing off the team and wasting all the early success?

How is it Ralph's fault we lost Monday night?

Well... it is Ralph's fault that under his watch, the Bills have been abysmal the past 10 years. When Arizona makes the this year, it will be the Bills and Lions, alone at the top, sharing the distinction of the longest playoff drought in the NFL. That's pathetic.

Talent evaluation and drafting has been a major weakness during this time, yet the front office remains largely unchanged. In fact, Guy, Modrak, Overorf and Brandon all received promotions.

Until someone comes in and cleans house, expect continued mediocrity.

OK, I am not a stalwart supporter of Mr. Wilson, but he has passed on making a lot more money by allowing the team to leave WNY. That said, what about our team's current situation is the "fault" of our owner? Is he saying we could have better coaches and players right now if it weren't for Mr. Wilson? Is he saying Mr. Wilson is meddling with the team right not, throwing off the team and wasting all the early success?

I have nothing to base this on other than a disgusted look on RW's face in the owner's box in the final game of the 04 season (the only one he attended that year), but I have a hunch that he demanded getting rid of Bledsoe. I'm not Bledsoe supporter, but he was their best option for 05. Say what you will about Donohoe, but it didn't make much sense to get rid of DB. He was actually decent (not great) for much of 04, and the signs re: JP going into 05 weren't positive from what I've read.

It has to do with Ralph Wilson. Until the team is no longer in his hands this organization wont be a winning franchise.

The obvious problem with that is that once it is no longer in his hands, it may no longer be in Buffalo. Are we willing to endure a move to another city if it means a Super Bowl win?

Well... it is Ralph's fault that under his watch, the Bills have been abysmal the past 10 years. When Arizona makes the this year, it will be the Bills and Lions, alone at the top, sharing the distinction of the longest playoff drought in the NFL. That's pathetic.

Talent evaluation and drafting has been a major weakness during this time, yet the front office remains largely unchanged. In fact, Guy, Modrak, Overorf and Brandon all received promotions.

Until someone comes in and cleans house, expect continued mediocrity.

I don't really disagree with you. That said, the story I've heard was that it was Donahoe who wanted to jettison Pat Williams, and it was Ralph who said to him, How are we going to stop the run? If that's all true, perhaps they were both incompetent. Ralph gave complete control to Donahoe, and only became a "meddler" again once it was apparent that Donahoe couldn't evaluate talent.

He comes right out and says it. Ralph gives the Bills no chance to win, and we need to be patient and wait for him to die so someone else can run the team. He comes right out and says that Butler didnt want to work here, prob cause Ralph didnt want to do what it takes to win. That is the reason he continually defends Donahue. He claims Ralph never game Donahue a chance to win... I actually believe him. Ralph must go.

The obvious problem with that is that once it is no longer in his hands, it may no longer be in Buffalo. Are we willing to endure a move to another city if it means a Super Bowl win?

Good points..........However, I do see Jim Kelly trying his best to keep the Bills in Buffalo. Although if they did move, I would no longer be a Bills fan. Even if they kept the "Bills" in the name, such as Toronto Bills I wont cheer for them. Football belongs in the USA, hockey belongs in Canada. I refuse to go there for anything. If Bills go there they can stay.......But I'd be done with the Bills and the NFL as a whole!

He comes right out and says it. Ralph gives the Bills no chance to win, and we need to be patient and wait for him to die so someone else can run the team. He comes right out and says that Butler didnt want to work here, prob cause Ralph didnt want to do what it takes to win. That is the reason he continually defends Donahue. He claims Ralph never game Donahue a chance to win... I actually believe him. Ralph must go.

But he doesn't come right out and say it..."Out of respect to Butler...I don't want to say anything...blah, blah, blah." For the past two weeks he made veiled comments that left it open ended that he was either talking about Ralph or the fans...he clarified it today but I think that most of us agree with him so why doesn't he just come out and say it. He didn't have a problem openly ripping Ralph when he fired Donahoe and didn't have a problem ripping him when he voted against the labor agreement (which Ralph was actually right on.) So why the shroud of secrecy now? He's just being a drama queen. And for the record I was never particularly thrilled with what Donahoe did here anyway, regardless of what Ralph let him.

Good points..........However, I do see Jim Kelly trying his best to keep the Bills in Buffalo. Although if they did move, I would no longer be a Bills fan. Even if they kept the "Bills" in the name, such as Toronto Bills I wont cheer for them. Football belongs in the USA, hockey belongs in Canada. I refuse to go there for anything. If Bills go there they can stay.......But I'd be done with the Bills and the NFL as a whole!

I don't care if the NFL gives a team to a Canadian city, but if the Bills leave WNY, I won't be a fan anymore, either.

I think putting too much hope in Jim Kelly is dangerous. He and his pals will have very steep competition for the team from people with way more experienced in such business dealings.

My point is that those hoping for Ralph to "go" soon should be very careful about what they might actually get.