Historical Game of the Week

KRC

Time for the 1966 AFL Championship game.

Linky Thingy

As for next week against the 49ers, I am taking requests. I can do something from the AAFC or something more recent. The only stipulation is that the game must have occurred at least 15 years ago. Unlike the NFL Network, who feel that "classic" games are anything that happened earlier than last week, I have some standards. :thumbdown:

I remember this game well. As a homer, I thought the game was much closer than the final score. Yes, the Chiefs were better this day, but the Bills played tough and were knocking on the door when Kemp tossed a pick that Johnny Robinson -I think- took about 90 yards back for a score, burgeoning the lead and killing our hopes. The Bills were done as an AFL power that day and the Chiefs would become the class of the league, representing the AFL in 2 of the 4 SB's the 2 leagues would play. Pretty sure they were in the AFL championship games the other 2 seasons, losing to Oakland and the Jets.

As for next week, 2 games come to my mind: the no-punt affair early in '92 where Metzelars caught 2 TD's and Norwood won it late, and the season finale in '80 that cliched our first AFC East title vs. the young Montana.

Thanks Ken!

Linky Thingy

As for next week against the 49ers, I am taking requests. I can do something from the AAFC or something more recent. The only stipulation is that the game must have occurred at least 15 years ago. Unlike the NFL Network, who feel that "classic" games are anything that happened earlier than last week, I have some standards. :thumbdown:

How about the "No punts" game in San Francisco? I believe it was September, 1992.

Linky Thingy

I have dim memories of a 49ers contest involving John Brodie...maybe during the OJ era? a September game? I don't think the game ended well, but like I said, dim memories...

I remember this game well. As a homer, I thought the game was much closer than the final score. Yes, the Chiefs were better this day, but the Bills played tough and were knocking on the door when Kemp tossed a pick that Johnny Robinson -I think- took about 90 yards back for a score, burgeoning the lead and killing our hopes. The Bills were done as an AFL power that day and the Chiefs would become the class of the league, representing the AFL in 2 of the 4 SB's the 2 leagues would play. Pretty sure they were in the AFL championship games the other 2 seasons, losing to Oakland and the Jets.

As for next week, 2 games come to my mind: the no-punt affair early in '92 where Metzelars caught 2 TD's and Norwood won it late, and the season finale in '80 that cliched our first AFC East title vs. the young Montana.

Thanks Ken!

What a talented team that KC squad was...Coach Stram, Robinson, Bell, Buchanon, Taylor, Garrett, Thomas, Tyrer, Mays, Dawson, Arbanas etc.

Nov. 3, 1957 vs Detroit?

Y.A. Tittle and the Alley Oop play?

That would be a good game to discuss, but since it does not involve a WNY team, I am guessing that you and I would be the only ones having the discussion. I remember seeing a quote from Tittle saying that it was one of his receivers that came up with the idea in the huddle for the Alley Oop pass and that they worked out the details right there.

It looks like we will be going with the No Punt game. Just for you, Rock, I am going to do a Rochester Jefferson's game the following week when we play in Toronto.

That would be a good game to discuss, but since it does not involve a WNY team, I am guessing that you and I would be the only ones having the discussion. I remember seeing a quote from Tittle saying that it was one of his receivers that came up with the idea in the huddle for the Alley Oop pass and that they worked out the details right there.

It looks like we will be going with the No Punt game. Just for you, Rock, I am going to do a Rochester Jefferson's game the following week when we play in Toronto.

Hope you can find one that they WON! ;)

Bills had the AFL rookie of the year too Bobby Burnett. I can bet that nobody knows on this board know this guy.

I remember him! Blew his knee out terribly in his secind season, tried to come back but wasn't the same. A little foggy on his Buffalo departure though. I seem to recall he played a year or two for another team before calling it quits.

He had a fantastic rookie season.

I was thirteen years old, sitting in a south Buffalo corner family pub (yes, there were family pubs back then), watching the game on a horrible static filled black & white television. All home games were blackouts then, so the broadcast signal was from channel 81 (?) in Erie, Pa. We listened to the game on the radio.

That is when I started saying (and am still saying) "wait 'til next year!"

:thumbsup:

I was thirteen years old, sitting in a south Buffalo corner family pub (yes, there were family pubs back then), watching the game on a horrible static filled black & white television. All home games were blackouts then, so the broadcast signal was from channel 81 (?) in Erie, Pa. We listened to the game on the radio.

That is when I started saying (and am still saying) "wait 'til next year!"

:rolleyes:

I think we used to get the TV signal from the rochester market in those days.