I wish we would have left Coy at OLB

Free Saftey....Strong Saftey.....It really doesn't matter, Coy Wire has and always will be a liability in pass coverage. He was unable to make the switch from LB at Stanford to NFL defensive back. I think now is the time to scratch the DB experiment and have him concentrate on being a OLB.

I know he is only 6-0 205, but just look at what Ian Gold was able to accomplish in Denver before his knee injury. Gold is listed at 6-0 223, a mere 18 pounds less then Coy. As professional football player it is very possible to put on that kind of weight with a diet tailored to do so.

Now I'm not saying Coy could ever be a full time starter at the OLB position, possible yes, likely? no. I envision him being a 3rd down linebacker, his coverage skills are a liability in the secondary but would be an asset as a linebacker. He has also shown the ability in the past to be effective at the blitz and a sure tackler.

If the guy is never going to be a solid starter in the secondary why not give him a shot at something he may be able to do very well? Either that or have him focus on becoming a special teams ace. I think Wire has some talent and I just hope we can find a place for him that can properly utilize it.

Archived