Trent needs to see a "head" Dr.-fast!

atl-fan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suffered a concussion in junior year High-school at the time I thought I was ok - I played tennis the same day and barely beat a guy who I had killed the year before- I puked about 4 times- I had no Idea that nausea was caused by concussion- I thought I was fine, but when I looked at that time later I realized I was messed up for at least a couple months- for example I took the S.A.T about a month after the concussion and then in my Senior year and picked up almost 400 points which I don't think was attributable to the 4 or 5 hour I spent with one of those study aids. Of course that was over 30 years ago and I would think the Bills medical staff would be more advanced than "hey you feeling ok buddy".

...Edwards shows up and practices. Don't you think that the coaches, the 53 players, all with varying experiences having seen team mates with residual effects of a bell rung, would speak up?...

That's what I'm questioning. Is he PRACTICING like he played on Monday night? I'd love to know the answer to that. My gut tells me, no. And that he's not showing anything in practice to indicate to the staff that he's not game ready. And I include the huge amount of weekly classroom time as well. If his cognitive abilities have been diminished they would show up there as noticeably, if not more so, than anywhere else. If he HAS shown decreased cognition then either a) the staff is too stupid to recognize it or b) they are ignoring it. If either a or b apply, the Bills have far bigger problems than we thought.

Based upon my own observations, it appears Trent has the NFL QB equivalent of the yips. He has lost his self-confidence. It's only a matter of time before he loses the confidence of his teammates and coaches as well. Some golfers, great ones even, were never able to overcome the yips. I'm hoping Van Pelt and Schonert can provide him some insight on the matter from the perspective of having been there themselves.

GO BILLS!!!

That's what I'm questioning. Is he PRACTICING like he played on Monday night? I'd love to know the answer to that. My gut tells me, no. And that he's not showing anything in practice to indicate to the staff that he's not game ready. And I include the huge amount of weekly classroom time as well. If his cognitive abilities have been diminished they would show up there as noticeably, if not more so, than anywhere else. If he HAS shown decreased cognition then either a) the staff is too stupid to recognize it or b) they are ignoring it. If either a or b apply, the Bills have far bigger problems than we thought.

Based upon my own observations, it appears Trent has the NFL QB equivalent of the yips. He has lost his self-confidence. It's only a matter of time before he loses the confidence of his teammates and coaches as well. Some golfers, great ones even, were never able to overcome the yips. I'm hoping Van Pelt and Schonert can provide him some insight on the matter from the perspective of having been there themselves.

GO BILLS!!!

See my subsequent post.

GO BILLS!!!

RJ was John Elway-like in practice. I don't see any similarity betw game time and practice.

Dont NFL teams have some of the best doctors? I dont see why they would send him back onto the field to play if he was still hurt.

I remember Bruce Smith and many of the Bills not wanting anything to do with some of the great Bills team doctors at the time.

Listen up:

I said there are plenty of experienced eyes on Edwards. I don't think those eyes are malevolent.

I'm aware about this post-concussion syndrome that folks have raised.

And I cautioned against unfounded inference. About speculating about a person's mental state, about how intimation can balloon into character assassination. Somebody reads this site, this thread. Somebody else starts spreading words that Edwards is a mental case, and that crap grows, grows, gets picked up here and there until it shows up in the chuntering national press as assumed truth.

There is no inference here about TE being a mental case. I'm not sure where you get that. Many of us are highly suspicious that he is suffering from post-concussion syndrome.Thats all. -Should those of us with suspicion just shut up???

Those with 'eyes' on TE within the organization need to improve their vision. --They should at the very least err on the side of caution--which they are not doing.

Kornheiser mentioned it on national TV last nite---his suspicions---which Dr. Jaws tried to dispell. I think the cat is out of the bag. Our expressions of concern won't change public perception much.

RJ was John Elway-like in practice. I don't see any similarity betw game time and practice.

His point is that if TEs regression is in some way due to the concussion then this theoretically should show in practice. If however he is fine in practice.....this would imply that it is not physically related to the concussion but is instead a mental issue that he is dealing with at the moment.

His point is that if TEs regression is in some way due to the concussion then this theoretically should show in practice. If however he is fine in practice.....this would imply that it is not physically related to the concussion but is instead a mental issue that he is dealing with at the moment.

I know what he was saying. And it doesn't hold water. Practice is slower and much less intense and non-contact.

I tend to buy this explanation. I detailed my post concussion problems in a thread right after Trents KO. I also believe that the effect of concussions brought down the level of play of Rob Johnson, who got knocked out by a helmet to the chin by Rodney Harrison in his first game as a Bill, then only 2 weeks later was KO'd AGAIN on a sneak against the Rams. Most of you didn't see Johnson prior to those concussions, but there is no question in my mind he wasn't the same player afterwards.

Should they bench Edwards for his own good? I think the horse is already out of the barn. It's not like only one bad concussion can't do permanent damage. He should be tested to the utmost, but if he's cleared and he says he's OK...... it's football so you can't treat him like a fine piece of china and still run the rest of the wounded out to slaughter every week. Doing so would also assume that what has been done can be undone and that's not a certainty either. Not everyone is Jim Kelly and can take a dozen gongs and still play the QB position in the NFL at a high level. Life goes on with or without Trent Edwards.

I'd say the Bills should be scouting QB's heavily, but they should be doing that anyway because it is far and away the most important position to be stocked at. Get one on day 2 every year. Get the best QB coaching you can get. It's also the position you protect first, and until the Bills learn that they aren't going to get back to sustained success. They aren't coached well enough or good enough at evaluating, selecting and keeping personnel to win like some other organizations. I'll repeat my words of last offseason, GET A TIGHT END. Keep building that O-Line. Protect and nurture that QB position. Whether Trent gets better or not, that should be the approach of this organization. I don't care if the D can't rush the passer, or if they need another nickel corner or high impact safety or linebacker or kick returner......those are all afterthoughts next to protecting and nurturing the quarterback position.

In talking with a clinical pshycologist who watched last night's debacle, he observed in Trent:

-lack of decision making ability

-inability to coordinate physical reactions with mental commands ( horrendous decisions on throws when he could decide)

- complete lack of confidence

-inability to process information quickly, if at all.

All of this in retrospect of his performance before the hit, and just the fact of the hit and the portions of the brain that were bruised .

He thinks that TE is playing through obvious post concussive trauma syndrome. He's not only jeopardizing this team's performance and his image, but he's one good hit away from a permanaent trip to la-la land, and I don't mean when the Bills get sold and sent to LA.

TE needs to be benched for the season. He has had a serious injury that despite the San Diego game, these things don't happen in a linear fashion, he has NOT recovered from and his mental condition is getting progressively worse.

That much is painfully obvious over the last 4 weeks.

He is putting his permanent mental health at risk.

Bench him now for God's sake!

In talking with a clinical pshycologist who watched last night's debacle, he observed in Trent:

-inability to coordinate physical reactions with mental commands ( horrendous decisions on throws when he could decide)

All of this in retrospect of his performance before the hit, and just the fact of the hit and the portions of the brain that were bruised .

He thinks that TE is playing through obvious post concussive trauma syndrome. He's not only jeopardizing this team's performance and his image, but he's one good hit away from a permanaent trip to la-la land, and I don't mean when the Bills get sold and sent to LA.

TE needs to be benched for the season. He has had a serious injury that despite the San Diego game, these things don't happen in a linear fashion, he has NOT recovered from and his mental condition is getting progressively worse.

I found it hilarious to read Allen Wilson's assessment that NOTHING IS WRONG with TE based on the Chargers game!

:lol:

He conveniently left out his bad completion % in the 3 division losses. Look at the wins and TE has an insane 80% completion percentage (and remember this is pre-concussion).

That implies nothing of the sort. Most people in the organization are just doing their own jobs. None of them wants to speak up and try to pretend to be a medical professional. The decisions in the organization re: this situation are made by a very very small group of people. Have you actually seen what has been going on out there on the field?? -Post consussion doesn't mean staggering drunk motions. It means slow reactions and slight cognitive problems

which show up especially in a position like QB where cognition is the whole game.

No way did Edwards just fall apart like this out of nowhere.

My point exactly and I really doubt TE is playing his way out of the league on purpose!

Jesus Christ this franchise can't catch a break. I'm sure you're right about this and they have brought him back too soon in order to try to preserve the season.

This was a huge mistake IMHO. When we were winning our obvious deficiencies were on the line and still are and the coaching staff doesn't see that as a negative in any way whatsoever.

Dont NFL teams have some of the best doctors? I dont see why they would send him back onto the field to play if he was still hurt.

Ya and McGee was torched by a future HOF WR that Sunday afternoon. It's funny but Ginn hasn't duplicated that performance and the odds are he won't again this year.

Care to follow up on this?

And when he next plays like crap he will have unmagically relapsed into his concussed phase.

Agreed. This past game will have just been an aberration, and magically overlooked, just like the SD game was.

(sarcasm still on)