Study: Unhappy people watch more TV

KD in CA

This study brought to you by the University of Maryland Department of the Bleedin' Obvious. B-)

Never underestimate the ability of people to get grants for stupid research. Recently, i've come across these 2 papers:

"Higher passage adult stem cells do not differentiate as well as lower passage cells." - To put it simply, passage # = age of cells. When you get donor cells they are p0. I've been working here for 3 years now and the first thing i was told was that cells that are passage 7 or higher aren't as reliable and do not grow well as lower passage cells) This one was published in 2008. :thumbsup:

But my favorite paper ever published (in 2006) that i have seen was this:

"Deprivation of essential nutrients and oxygen leads to cell death in culture" - This one makes me wonder if some retard just figured out in 2006 that if you starve and choke your cells in culture they die. He was probably wondering why none of his experiments were working.

Never underestimate the ability of people to get grants for stupid research. Recently, i've come across these 2 papers:

"Higher passage adult stem cells do not differentiate as well as lower passage cells." - To put it simply, passage # = age of cells. When you get donor cells they are p0. I've been working here for 3 years now and the first thing i was told was that cells that are passage 7 or higher aren't as reliable and do not grow well as lower passage cells) This one was published in 2008. B-)

But my favorite paper ever published (in 2006) that i have seen was this:

"Deprivation of essential nutrients and oxygen leads to cell death in culture" - This one makes me wonder if some retard just figured out in 2006 that if you starve and choke your cells in culture they die. He was probably wondering why none of his experiments were working.

:thumbsup:

These things are so prevalent. In recent months, I've see gems like

- Obese people found to exercise less.

- After heart attacks, patient's relatives found to improve their own personal diets.

- Black preferences for fat-laden foods may cause their higher rates of coronary/circulatory diseases.

This was a study in Britain, where they couldn't blame poverty and said so, since everybody in England has equal access to their (lousy) national health care system regardless of economic situation. I'm betting that that group won't ever get another farthing of grant money for that PC faux pas. B-)

- Women more susceptible to genital yeast infections than men.

- Children living in a home without a father more prone to poor grades, poor deportment, and violent behavior.

Grant money...I spent a couple of years working in the public sector - a university's civil engineering department.

That dept. encompassed environmental engineering. A member got your tax dollars to investigate the volatility of lead when subjected to heat. I pointed out to him, the volatility of lead across temperature in the literature - established something like 80 years ago. He cursed me!

I think a lot of these are because grad departments have to cook up thesis subjects to keep the cash crop enrolling and let it be shown that their department is vital.

:lol: That's freakin' funny. That sounds like an "Oh crap, all my cultures died while I spent two straight weeks playing World of Warcraft, and I have to publish something to justify this grant!" paper.

Still, I don't think that beats the study (funded by a federal grant) of placebos that determined "they have no effect." :lol: Gee, for a quarter-million dollars, I can look up "placebo" in the !@#$ing dictionary, too.

I never did find out, when doing a study on placebos...what's your control? Actual medication?