Hardy Benched?

commish95

I wonder what Trent Edwards' interception rate has been on throws directed towards James Hardy this season? I can think of at least two such interceptions in recent games, and scant few catches. This suggests to me that Hardy may be running very poor routes, and as such is a huge liability at this point.

But yeah, Hardy was very clearly benched in favor of Steve Johnson yesterday. I think the early pick in the direction of Hardy may have been the last time that I saw him on the field all game...

The early pick to Hardy was thrown three yards off target. He was open enough to make the play and catch. If the pass was a yard in front of him where it was supposed to be, that is a completion. But it was a yard behind him so it was an INT. That pick was 100% on Edwards and 0% on Hardy unless the route was designed to sprint across the middle and then come to a complete stop as soon as you get open, which it wasn't.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The early pick to Hardy was thrown three yards off target. He was open enough to make the play and catch. If the pass was a yard in front of him where it was supposed to be, that is a completion. But it was a yard behind him so it was an INT. That pick was 100% on Edwards and 0% on Hardy unless the route was designed to sprint across the middle and then come to a complete stop as soon as you get open, which it wasn't.

You're probably right, but there's also the possiblity that he ran the route too deep. Btw, if he led him, it may well have been picked off by the other Brown crossing from the opposite direction - he definitely looked like he would have had a shot at a pick. Of course, it was a poor decision and poor throw.

I wonder what Trent Edwards' interception rate has been on throws directed towards James Hardy this season? I can think of at least two such interceptions in recent games, and scant few catches. This suggests to me that Hardy may be running very poor routes, and as such is a huge liability at this point.

But yeah, Hardy was very clearly benched in favor of Steve Johnson yesterday. I think the early pick in the direction of Hardy may have been the last time that I saw him on the field all game...

Yeah. Lets blame the rookie for all 3 of Trents turnovers last night. How about the Jackson fumble. I think They should blame Hardy for that as well. He ran a poor route. Trent AGAIN under threw Hardy........and its Hardy's fault. Dam Rookies

Well, Stevie Johnson looked good last night. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more of him in the #2 spot.

I definitely think Johnson is the reason. Am I wrong or Johnson was brought out when Hardy was benched? I think Johnson is the reason he was benched and as mentioned before Johnson looks like a steal.

Johnson did have a couple of decent catches, but he also dropped a crucial 3rd down pass that would have set us up in field goal range at a time where we REALLY needed some points.

I find the whole Hardy thing befuddling. Then again, we wondered why Jauron went with an injured McGee over McKelvin in the Miami game and just assumed that is was because McKelvin wasn't getting it. All that I know is that I have seen McKelvin come in for an injured starter twice (McGee against the Rams and Greer last night), and he has proven to be up for the challenge. He also didn't play that badly against the Chargers. As far as Hardy goes, it may simply come down to a comfort factor. For whatever reason, maybe Trent just isn't comfortable throwing him the ball. Remember that he missed quite a bit of time in practice last week, so their timing may have been off as well.

You gotta wonder WTF is going on. Reed is hurt/inactive, Jenkins is inactive. Hardy is benched. We got us a real live cluster!@#$ happening right before our very eyes.

It really sounds like there are communication problems somewhere between the coaches and players. A player should know why they are benched.

The Bills started the game in a 3 WR set - Evans, Johnson, and Parrish. The Bills used a wide variety of personnel combinations and formations in this game. I was having trouble following because ESPN typically bounced around through various camera angles and only showed the whole field for a few seconds before the ball was snapped. I know for sure that I saw Fred Jackson lined up as a wideout several times in some of the multiple receiver sets. I'm also pretty sure I saw Hardy on the field in the 2nd half. I'm transferring the game to DVD now, and it's just about halftime. I'll try to confirm if he was/wasn't on the field in the 2nd half. In any case, Johnson clearly got much more playing time than Hardy.

I remember reading a few weeks ago one of the Bills coaches saying that one thing Hardy needs to learn is to adjust his route based on the coverage. He never had to do that in college, and he said that they didn't even know that until after they drafted him. I find that astonishing. There's a scout working for the Bills who should get fired on the spot. That sort of oversight is totally unacceptable.

I have liked Johnson since watching him in preseason and was asking why he wasn't put in after Reed was injured. Hardy seems to be developing slower. To me it was a surprise he wasn't on the bench sooner. I think he can be good but if you watch Johnson comes back to the ball and runs cleaner routes. When I have watched I have thought, Evans has a problem with coming back to the ball too. Reed always does this, I don't know what the mystery is for these guys. Trent needs to see you in front of the defender (which isn't the way it should be but......)

On the record I think Fine is better than Scholman and Royal and Corner is better at coverage than McKelvin (but he is improving a bit, really still I hate cover2).

Sad but true.

Absolutely. The best thing to do with a young kid struggling to adjust to the speed and talent of the NFL is to bench him and not tell him why. It's probably how all the greats were taught. /sarcasm

Hopefully someone will actually sit down with him over the next couple days and explain what the problems were, why he got benched and what he needs to work on and improve.

The interview was right in the locker room after the game, right?

Yeah, I get why you all are so upset. If I was Jauron, the first thing I would do after a big loss is run right to my rookie wide reciever with about 10 catches all year and closet myself with him for an hour or so and have a long talk. Let the reporters and the other players wait.

Give me a break.

Looks like the coaching staff and Trent likes to blame the Rookie.

Yeah. Boy, that's upsetting. By the way, could you please find one place, just one place, where anybody blames Hardy for anything?

Waiting.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Oh. I get it. You were the first one. Well, I'm much less upset now.

Yeah, I get why you all are so upset. If I was Jauron, the first thing I would do after a big loss is run right to my rookie wide reciever with about 10 catches all year and closet myself with him for an hour or so and have a long talk. Let the reporters and the other players wait.

Give me a break.

Right, because that's exactly what we're saying - Dick should have run right over to Hardy after the coaching fugged up the end of the game and spend an hour with him. That's exactly what we're pissed about. :thumbdown:

Jauron ain't the only coach on the sideline, and Hardy was benched before the half. So Jauron, Turk, Tyke Tolbert - no one could pull him aside for 30 seconds and say "this is what's going on, and this is why we're giving Steve more reps?"

Give me a break.

Give me a break.

Whats the big deal. Why you so defensive?

Lets see........If your coach has any emotion, Im sure he would let you know when it happend. (San Fran Coach). Maybe not to the extent of Mike but at least show a little fire.

Give me a break.

What do you suppose the WR coach is doing DURING the game? IMO it would be appropriate for him to sit by the highly drafted rookie for a short time...say 30-60 seconds and let him know what's going on.

Course that's just me.

Today's D&C suggests that I may not be completely off base in my interpretation:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...338/1007/SPORTS

JDG