Independent Panel Faults Rummy

BRH

After reading a variety of sources, it seems to me that the JCS & Secretary Rumsfelt are a very small part of the problem.

A couple of quotes from Mr. Schlesinger:

"The report notes that military police units were undermanned, underequipped and poorly trained. The ratio of military police to inmates was roughly one for every 75 versus the roughly one-to-one ratio at Guantanamo Bay."

That goes pretty directly to my continual:  There are way too many chiefs not nearly enough braves in the armed forces - especially in combat/post-ops MOS'.  We sure do have some pretty bases out there though.  Perhaps if we spent a little more money on training and gear and a little less on "weeds and seeds" & paper pushers?

"There was direct responsibility for those activities on the part of the commanders on the scene up to the brigade level, because they did not adequately supervise what was going on at Abu Ghraib," Schlesinger continued. "There was indirect responsibility at higher levels, in that the weaknesses at Abu Ghraib were well-known and that corrective action could have been taken and should have been taken."

Again, weak leadership.  I'd venture to guess that the folks below the brigade level probably did their best to cover it up, less they end up with a not so favorable promotion evaluation.  That snowballed out of control at the brigade level and now ends up touching folks far too high up the chain - who rightly expect those below them to behave in a professional manner.

The Armed Forces have been broken for a LONG time.  The 3 big services need to take some examples from their smallest and most effective brother on duty and honor.

6411[/snapback]

I can imagine the "career" LTC talking "issues" with not only the CENTCOM COS, but the joint staff.

If anyone bothered to read what I've posted over the last year or so, the current defense philosophy is to eliminate the rice bowls and the stovepipes and go to a truly capabilities based joint force. A lot has been accomplished so far that way, and we have a long way to go. I don't have links, sorry-it's "word on the street" but a lot of Kerry's so called "military support for his programs" comes from certain senior level civilian and military folks who don't want to upset their power bases by going to a joint capabilities concept. You know I work CBRNE thingys. You couldn't imagine the food fight going on taking that away from the Army.

I can imagine the "career" LTC talking "issues" with not only the CENTCOM COS, but the joint staff.

If anyone bothered to read what I've posted over the last year or so, the current defense philosophy is to eliminate the rice bowls and the stovepipes and go to a truly capabilities based joint force. A lot has been accomplished so far that way, and we have a long way to go. I don't have links, sorry-it's "word on the street" but a lot of Kerry's so called "military support for his programs" comes from certain senior level civilian and military folks who don't want to upset their power bases by going to a joint capabilities concept. You know I work CBRNE thingys. You couldn't imagine the food fight going on taking that away from the Army.

6426[/snapback]

I can only imagine the "Empire Builders" clinging desperately to their desks and printed schedules, like a 2 year old who's just been told it's time to leave Chuck E. Cheese.

It that's what's currently in the hopper, a tip of the cap to the current administration. Mr. Rumsfeld came into this job a house of fire, and the upper brass has fought him tooth and nail every step. His initial thoughts were really good - but I thought they'd die on the vine because of the entrenched mediocrity that is so tough to move.

www.bugmenot.com

Bypass registration by using shared registrations. Download bugmenot, go to the registration page, right click, click on Bugmenot and about 80% of the time you get a username and password...and sometimes multiple usernames and passwords.

Works like a charm for the Washington Post.

6355[/snapback]

Thanks ,I was aware of that but I enjoy jerking the democrats chain its so easy. When asked about thier intelligence they wer heard to say DOH!! :)<_<

I can only imagine the "Empire Builders" clinging desperately to their desks and printed schedules, like a 2 year old who's just been told it's time to leave Chuck E. Cheese.

It that's what's currently in the hopper, a tip of the cap to the current administration.  Mr. Rumsfeld came into this job a house of fire, and the upper brass has fought him tooth and nail every step.  His initial thoughts were really good - but I thought they'd die on the vine because of the entrenched mediocrity that is so tough to move.

6434[/snapback]

Hey, he might be a mean old fart but he's getting it done. You have to remember he's not only up against the staus quo, he's up against a bunch of Clinton Admin appointees. (General Officers). We're headed the right way. I guess the best I can hope for is that if Kerry gets elected, it's no longer a campaign issue or talking point, and he has the wise sense to leave it alone. The crap and spin that makes the news is nothing more than that. From either side. It bears no semblance to reality. I'm sure glad so many here think so.

Archived