Trouble at Gate 1

I've gone to almost every game for 20 years now, and I've seen it all.

But my overriding memory of last night's game wasn't one of yet another in a long list of last minute heart breakers. No, it was of a chaotic, potentially dangerous scene at the security checks to get into the stadium at Gate 1 (and I imagine elsewhere).

Some Bills security genius had made the decision to funnel the thousands of rowdy fans crowding gate 1 into only two security points set far apart, rather than the normal line of such points, side by side, stretched across the entire turnstile area.

So, in the dark, with no instructions to the crowd-many of whom were drunk-the entry routine for the last few years was just thrown out the window.

As the huge mass of people in the center reached the area where the pat down area normally is set up, all they found was a long steel gate and nowhere to go. Idiots behind us were yelling "PUSH, PUSH" and the crush started to get real bad and scary. Some folks were handing their young children over the the gate to police, who were trying to hold the gates up and screaming at fans not to cross.

I was right up against the gate and lifted right off my feet. The barricade started to tip and the cops kept yelling "PUSH BACK!"...yeah, right. Finally the gate fell and people rushed through, some falling. Punches were being thrown at each other and at the police. Fans ran to the turnstile and were let through, but just as I handed my over my ticket to be scanned, some cops decided to barricade the turnstiles. Now I was being pressed hard into the turnstile from behind and the cop on the other side kept yelling at me "you're not going through" and "push back".

Finally, after maybe five minutes they decided to just let people through...what could they do?

Yes, these were police officers, by and large, and not stadiums security people. Their actions were dangerously infective , at best, but I believe they were put into a very bad situation by a horrendous security scheme devised by who knows who for who knows what reason.

Really, I can take the losses, but the Mickey Mouse organization is really wearing thin with me. After 20 years, I'm finally considering not renewing the season tickets next year.

I was there too. I have had season tickets for 12 years & I could honestly say for the first time ever believe it or not I was scared for my safety. What chaos. This one sherriff started hitting this guy with the club & all the guy was doing was being pushed into the gate because of the chaos. He could not help it. The sherriff pulled him aside & I thought he was going to arrest him. But nothing came of it. Embarrassing situation. Why change it up for a night game?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you ask for a return call and the name and extension of the person who is to contact you?

Because otherwise you might be just getting a brush off.

I thought of the same thing. Take it one step further. If I were you and Gordio I would take some time and go to OBD and ask to speak to someone directly.

I was in the middle of all that mess at Gate 1. I don't get it, the gates operated relatively smoothly until a few weeks ago and the power outage. Ever since then it's been a disaster. We got to the gate earlier than usual, about 30 minutes before kickoff. As usual there was a large mass of people waiting to get in, but instead of earlier this season, the mass wasn't moving. Gradually it did, but as we got closer to the front you could tell there was a metal barrier set up to funnel people to one direction or the other. It blocked you, parrallel to the gates. By now the crowd was packed kinda tight. You could see some security or cops grabbing people here and there pretty roughly. But hardly anyone actually patting down fans or checking tickets. There were plenty of yellow-jacketed security guys past that waiting to grab drunks and kick them out, but they were just standing there beyond the gates. At one point the crush was bad enough and the lack of forward progress got to people and they started getting angry. I was pinned up against a metal security barrier and hoped no one pushed any further - either the gate would give or I would. Security locked off all the gates but one, and tried to get that closed. The metal gates they set up before gave way and people had rushed forward. Some people at the back started pushing, and by then I was sideways and stuck in the mass. Security kinda stood back and just caught people then as you were pushed through. A female security guard asked me "are you okay?" as I was released from the crowd and I said yeah, but that this was not a safe situation. She said they tried a new setup for getting people in. Obviously it didn't work well. What was missing in all this? - oh yeah, at no point was I patted down or was my ticket scanned. You couldn't even really turn around and go elsewhere because you were really stuck in the mass.

What I don't understand is, the system was working okay until a few weeks ago. What changed since then? Getting people into the stadium isn't a new problem for them, so why is this suddenly so difficult? Until now it was an inconvenience, but last night it was dangerous.

I was there too. I have had season tickets for 12 years & I could honestly say for the first time ever believe it or not I was scared for my safety. What chaos. This one sherriff started hitting this guy with the club & all the guy was doing was being pushed into the gate because of the chaos. He could not help it. The sherriff pulled him aside & I thought he was going to arrest him. But nothing came of it. Embarrassing situation. Why change it up for a night game?

Just because they give someone a badge it doesn't mean that the person isn't a world class moron.

A badge can be a dangerous thing in the wrong hands.

I would have offered to be a witness for the person being hit with the club, if he wanted to pursue the matter against this sheriff.

Really, I can take the losses, but the Mickey Mouse organization is really wearing thin with me. After 20 years, I'm finally considering not renewing the season tickets next year.

I was supposed to enter at Gate 1 but I saw the massive crowd gathered there (~ 7:50). Instead, I went over to Gate 2 and got in about 5 minutes later.

I was in the middle of all that mess at Gate 1. I don't get it, the gates operated relatively smoothly until a few weeks ago and the power outage. Ever since then it's been a disaster. We got to the gate earlier than usual, about 30 minutes before kickoff. As usual there was a large mass of people waiting to get in, but instead of earlier this season, the mass wasn't moving. Gradually it did, but as we got closer to the front you could tell there was a metal barrier set up to funnel people to one direction or the other. It blocked you, parrallel to the gates. By now the crowd was packed kinda tight. You could see some security or cops grabbing people here and there pretty roughly. But hardly anyone actually patting down fans or checking tickets. There were plenty of yellow-jacketed security guys past that waiting to grab drunks and kick them out, but they were just standing there beyond the gates. At one point the crush was bad enough and the lack of forward progress got to people and they started getting angry. I was pinned up against a metal security barrier and hoped no one pushed any further - either the gate would give or I would. Security locked off all the gates but one, and tried to get that closed. The metal gates they set up before gave way and people had rushed forward. Some people at the back started pushing, and by then I was sideways and stuck in the mass. Security kinda stood back and just caught people then as you were pushed through. A female security guard asked me "are you okay?" as I was released from the crowd and I said yeah, but that this was not a safe situation. She said they tried a new setup for getting people in. Obviously it didn't work well. What was missing in all this? - oh yeah, at no point was I patted down or was my ticket scanned. You couldn't even really turn around and go elsewhere because you were really stuck in the mass.

What I don't understand is, the system was working okay until a few weeks ago. What changed since then? Getting people into the stadium isn't a new problem for them, so why is this suddenly so difficult? Until now it was an inconvenience, but last night it was dangerous.

They not only have a metal barrier, they have a mental barrier.

You may be right, but I have to believe there were many others who called or emailed today, and the combined weight of those messages were heard. Anyway I'll try to get through to Guest Services tomorrow and see what they say.

It's just so easy for someone answering the phones to say that he/she will pass the information along and then it just dies. I hope someone over there takes you seriously.

You gotta wonder at the incompetence...

"Hey George?"

"Yeah George?"

"I think we need a new plan for getting folks into Bills games."

"But George, why should we do that, things seem to be working OK even though some folks hate the delays."

"Yeah, but we gotta show the Bills Brass that we're thinkin, working to improve things. Know what I mean?"

"Yeah, OK George"

"Say George?"

"Yeah George?"

"When do you think we should test this new process?"

"Well, we got us a Monday Nighter coming up. What better time could there be? There will be throngs of drunken people, it will be dark and it may even be cold."

"Yeah George, brilliant."

But my overriding memory of last night's game wasn't one of yet another in a long list of last minute heart breakers. No, it was of a chaotic, potentially dangerous scene at the security checks to get into the stadium at Gate 1 (and I imagine elsewhere).

Some Bills security genius had made the decision to funnel the thousands of rowdy fans crowding gate 1 into only two security points set far apart, rather than the normal line of such points, side by side, stretched across the entire turnstile area.

So, in the dark, with no instructions to the crowd-many of whom were drunk-the entry routine for the last few years was just thrown out the window.

As the huge mass of people in the center reached the area where the pat down area normally is set up, all they found was a long steel gate and nowhere to go. Idiots behind us were yelling "PUSH, PUSH" and the crush started to get real bad and scary. Some folks were handing their young children over the the gate to police, who were trying to hold the gates up and screaming at fans not to cross.

I was right up against the gate and lifted right off my feet. The barricade started to tip and the cops kept yelling "PUSH BACK!"...yeah, right. Finally the gate fell and people rushed through, some falling. Punches were being thrown at each other and at the police. Fans ran to the turnstile and were let through, but just as I handed my over my ticket to be scanned, some cops decided to barricade the turnstiles. Now I was being pressed hard into the turnstile from behind and the cop on the other side kept yelling at me "you're not going through" and "push back".

Finally, after maybe five minutes they decided to just let people through...what could they do?

Yes, these were police officers, by and large, and not stadiums security people. Their actions were dangerously infective , at best, but I believe they were put into a very bad situation by a horrendous security scheme devised by who knows who for who knows what reason.

WOW...sheeeesssssshhhh....thank God you and others are OK.coulda been an english soccer stadium type disaster...the kind of crap that happens in India all the time.

Hopefully there will be enough complaints and publicity about this so that they rectify the situation.

As is the case with most of the other problems with the Bills organization, the underlying issue is that they're just too cheap to do it right.

The basic problem with their security system for entering the stadium is they don't have enough "friskers". Think about it for a second, what takes longer, patting somebody down, or scanning a ticket at a turnstyle? But they have like what, two people at each gate patting people down, and ticket takers and other security people just standing around doing nothing. How much would it cost to double the number of "friskers"? Maybe $1000/game? They take in hundreds of times that each game in concession revenue alone, but they're too cheap to hire a few more people so the fans aren't inconvenienced or even put in a potentially dangerous situation.

Brings me back memories of when I was a youngster me, my buddy, and these two girls we wanted to have sexual relations with decided to all go to a scorpions concert.

We were up front and the crowd got out of hand behind us.....I was shielding off the two girls so they would not get smashed by bracing myself against the metal railing and giving the girls enough space to breath until eventually security said enough was enough and lifted the girls out of the crowd and behind the barrier. During that time I was punched in the back and head several times and I even think somone thought about stabbing me in teh back with a small knife but decided against it.

Anyways......in the end the girls were very grateful.........very grateful

Brings me back memories of when I was a youngster me, my buddy, and these two girls we wanted to have sexual relations with decided to all go to a scorpions concert.

Anyways......in the end the girls were very grateful.........very grateful

Because they got to go backstage while you were stuck in the crowd?