What Do You Do With Junk Mail??

molson_golden2002

Instead of just calling and having your name removed from the marketing list?

Were you looking for a real answer or just looking to blow off steam?

I requested BOA to stop sending me chit and especially those credit "checks", and when they didn't, I canceled my card. I also spoke to their CS rep and said that was the specific reason I canceled it. One down too many more to go. :wallbash:

I requested BOA to stop sending me chit and especially those credit "checks", and when they didn't, I canceled my card. I also spoke to their CS rep and said that was the specific reason I canceled it. One down too many more to go. :wallbash:

Your most direct approach is to tell the credit agencies NOT to make your info available. It beats calling each company sending you info.

By the way Rock.... Long time no see!!

This correct thesir, and sorry kegtapr that my earlier post was confusing. And yes, our scores were fine, but man someone was pinging that thing like once a month for marketing purposes. Busy today, but I am calling all three of the agencies tomorrow in an effort to reduce the amount of junk mail we recieve. I am assuming that credit card, mortgage, and other products that rely on your credit rating will just stop once they cannot ascertain whether we are credit worthy or not.

Great idea!!

Those "pings" are known as "soft pulls". They do not affect your credit score. "Hard pulls" can only occur with your permission, in the event that you are applying for new credit, and hard pulls are the kind that affect your credit score.

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/archives/2006/0..._soft_cr_1.html

It's possible that your credit score went down because score reporting agencies are supposedly changing their scoring algorithms in light of the credit crunch. Perhaps your amount of outstanding debt hadn't changed, but now the scoring algorithm perceives your amount of debt more of a risk than before (thus, the lower score).

I get inundated with this crap and don't just like throwing it out because it has my name on it. Sometimes the credit card applications scare me because I think they have info on me in them. I usually burn the stuff out back but I have so much of it I don't know about that. What do you guys do?

I think they should either outlaw junkmail or make the companies that send out all this trash pay a higher postage fee.

Yeah, right. Direct to consumer mail solicitations from businesses is now about 90% of letter-sized mail running through the USPS system. When was the last time someone sent you a personal letter - your birthday or last Christmas perhaps?

If D-T-C mail was "outlawed" or the financial equivalent - have a "higher postage fee" attached the cost of a first class letter would be about $1.50. Then you'd NEVER get a birthday or Christmas card in the mail ever again and the only mail that would end up in the mail slot of your apartment in the projects would be catalogs and requests for political contributions.

Yeah, right. Direct to consumer mail solicitations from businesses is now about 90% of letter-sized mail running through the USPS system. When was the last time someone sent you a personal letter - your birthday or last Christmas perhaps?

If D-T-C mail was "outlawed" or the financial equivalent - have a "higher postage fee" attached the cost of a first class letter would be about $1.50. Then you'd NEVER get a birthday or Christmas card in the mail ever again and the only mail that would end up in the mail slot of your apartment in the projects would be catalogs and requests for political contributions.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that most of that crap comes via bulk mail rates, which are far below standard first class. I'd be happy if they just removed the bulk rates and let these spammers pay $.42 a letter like everyone else.

While we're at it, mail delivery six times a week is completely unnecessary. Need to reduce operating costs of the USPS? Start by eliminating delivery on Saturday.