What Do You Do With Junk Mail??

molson_golden2002

I get inundated with this crap and don't just like throwing it out because it has my name on it. Sometimes the credit card applications scare me because I think they have info on me in them. I usually burn the stuff out back but I have so much of it I don't know about that. What do you guys do?

I think they should either outlaw junkmail or make the companies that send out all this trash pay a higher postage fee.

I get inundated with this crap and don't just like throwing it out because it has my name on it. Sometimes the credit card applications scare me because I think they have info on me in them. I usually burn the stuff out back but I have so much of it I don't know about that. What do you guys do?

I think they should either outlaw junkmail or make the companies that send out all this trash pay a higher postage fee.

A couple of choices.

#1 I rip them in half and put one half in one garbage bag and one half in another.

#2 Take the credit card stuff and put the empty CC application in the envelop of a different company and send the prepaid envelops out.

We contacted the major credit reporting agencies (Its just a phone call) and asked them to stop making our credit information available for marketing purposes. It is your right to do this and it has basically ELIMINATED junk mail to our house.

Sure we still get catalogs and such, but we buy from those companies. We have not received a credit app in the mail in almost 3 years.

A couple of choices.

#1 I rip them in half and put one half in one garbage bag and one half in another.

#2 Take the credit card stuff and put the empty CC application in the envelop of a different company and send the prepaid envelops out.

I shred the personally-identifying stuff and recycle the rest. If it's an outfit that sends piece after piece, I also send their garbage back to them.

Thanks for the ideas. Love the sending the crap back advice! And I think I will buy a shredder

Instead of just calling and having your name removed from the marketing list?

Were you looking for a real answer or just looking to blow off steam?

We contacted the major credit reporting agencies (Its just a phone call) and asked them to stop making our credit information available for marketing purposes. It is your right to do this and it has basically ELIMINATED junk mail to our house.

Sure we still get catalogs and such, but we buy from those companies. We have not received a credit app in the mail in almost 3 years.

Ha, you learn something every day here!! Just recently got a note from the bank where our home equity line is saying because of a drop in our credit rating, they were closing our line. Now, it helps them that we had a balance of $.36, but I digress. They said Experien was the one droppping our score, so with that I get a free credit report. It was unbeliveable how many places were pinging our credit report. I had no idea that happened.Now I will do what you suggest sir and call the three agencies and have them stop giving that information out.

BTW, our credit was perfect, the bank is getting out of the home equity business, and it looks like cause we had less than a dollar left to pay, they figured better close us out! BTW, if someone thinks that they should not be able to do that, please ping me, be interested to hear your take. LOl this economy is whacked

Ha, you learn something every day here!! Just recently got a note from the bank where our home equity line is saying because of a drop in our credit rating, they were closing our line. Now, it helps them that we had a balance of $.36, but I digress. They said Experien was the one droppping our score, so with that I get a free credit report. It was unbeliveable how many places were pinging our credit report. I had no idea that happened.Now I will do what you suggest sir and call the three agencies and have them stop giving that information out.

BTW, our credit was perfect, the bank is getting out of the home equity business, and it looks like cause we had less than a dollar left to pay, they figured better close us out! BTW, if someone thinks that they should not be able to do that, please ping me, be interested to hear your take. LOl this economy is whacked

What places are "pinging" your credit score? I thought a company had to advise you when they are going to run a credit check, and provide you with a copy at your request?

What places are "pinging" your credit score? I thought a company had to advise you when they are going to run a credit check, and provide you with a copy at your request?

Unless you opt out, the credit card companies provide your credit information to anyone who wants to use it for marketing to you. They do not need to run a credit check, merely have access to your credit score.

Unless you opt out, the credit card companies provide your credit information to anyone who wants to use it for marketing to you. They do not need to run a credit check, merely have access to your credit score.

Having access shouldn't lower your score then which is what I was referring to. I thought plenzmd1 was saying this was dropping his score but I could have read it wrong.

What?

My earlier answer in this thread....

Having access shouldn't lower your score then which is what I was referring to. I thought plenzmd1 was saying this was dropping his score but I could have read it wrong.

I don;t want to speak for Plenzmd1, but I think in his post he cleared up that his credit score had not been reduced, but that his line of credit was dropped because the bank was getting out of the business.

Companies "viewing" your credit info for marketing sake will not affect your score, only credit checks made during applications for additional credit.

I don;t want to speak for Plenzmd1, but I think in his post he cleared up that his credit score had not been reduced, but that his line of credit was dropped because the bank was getting out of the business.

Companies "viewing" your credit info for marketing sake will not affect your score, only credit checks made during applications for additional credit.

This correct thesir, and sorry kegtapr that my earlier post was confusing. And yes, our scores were fine, but man someone was pinging that thing like once a month for marketing purposes. Busy today, but I am calling all three of the agencies tomorrow in an effort to reduce the amount of junk mail we recieve. I am assuming that credit card, mortgage, and other products that rely on your credit rating will just stop once they cannot ascertain whether we are credit worthy or not.

Great idea!!