I guess we can say, in retrospect....

SDS

<_<

I wished our teams sucked as bad his his teams over the past 13 years...

Well, he WAS a clown, and had to make a big change in how he dealt with his players in order to succeed in NY. He has admitted to making a conscious change in his approach.

Now, had anyone known a guy like that had it in him to make a dramatic change, then I even I might have wanted him. As he was before, no thanks. I think being a whisker away from losing his job with the Giants was his wake up call.

I never understood why we never pursued John Fox better.

Because when he was an assistant with the Raiders he had the guts to walk out on Al Davis in pre-season instead of putting up with Davis' BS. So either he was too strong a guy for Donahoe to hire, or Ralph didn't want a guy who walked out on Davis. Take your pick, but I'm sure it had something to do with him quitting the Raiders.

Because when he was an assistant with the Raiders he had the guts to walk out on Al Davis in pre-season instead of putting up with Davis' BS. So either he was too strong a guy for Donahoe to hire, or Ralph didn't want a guy who walked out on Davis. Take your pick, but I'm sure it had something to do with him quitting the Raiders.

Ummm.....John Fox worked for the Raiders?

I thought he was referring to the John Fox that was the Giants' DC in Superbowl XXXV and was subsequently hired by the Panthers.

Nevertheless, Donahoe did wait until after that Superbowl to interview both him and Marvin Lewis - the hot assistants back then. I think he was also the only GM to do so. Then he hired Greggo and watched Lewis & Fox go on to coach some playoff-caliber teams. <_<

Ummm.....John Fox worked for the Raiders?

I thought he was referring to the John Fox that was the Giants' DC in Superbowl XXXV and was subsequently hired by the Panthers.

Nevertheless, Donahoe did wait until after that Superbowl to interview both him and Marvin Lewis - the hot assistants back then. I think he was also the only GM to do so. Then he hired Greggo and watched Lewis & Fox go on to coach some playoff-caliber teams. <_<

Same guy.

IIRC, Donahoe's excuse for not going after Fox was that it obvious to him that Fox did not want to come to Buffalo.

Same guy.

IIRC, Donahoe's excuse for not going after Fox was that it obvious to him that Fox did not want to come to Buffalo.

I think you are mixing up the Fox interview up with the Lewis one. Based on the fact that TD waited until after the Super Bowl to interview these two guys, the conventional wisdom was that Lewis was almost assured of the job, based on his and TD's prior association in Pittsburgh. Lewis was also the hot commodity at the time, given the Ravens' success on the defensive side of the ball. Apparently Lewis went into the interview arrogantly and came off as feeling entitled to the job, rather than trying to win the job. TD hired Gregg instead -- after which Lewis' agent started playing the race card. Then it came out that Lewis' wife didn't want her kids growing up in Buffalo. I think that was all sour grapes.

As for Fox, I am not sure why he didn't get the job. Perhaps TD was looking for someone with a more sustained track record. Gregg's Titans were coming off being the #1 defense in the league and had just been in the Super Bowl themselves the year before. Fox's Giants were more of a come-from-nowhere variety the year they lost to the Ravens in the Super Bowl.

Same guy.

Where are you watching the game tonight? I was toying with the idea of coming east for the Jets game. I think Nikki can score some tix.

I think you are mixing up the Fox interview up with the Lewis one. Based on the fact that TD waited until after the Super Bowl to interview these two guys, the conventional wisdom was that Lewis was almost assured of the job, based on his and TD's prior association in Pittsburgh. Lewis was also the hot commodity at the time, given the Ravens' success on the defensive side of the ball. Apparently Lewis went into the interview arrogantly and came off as feeling entitled to the job, rather than trying to win the job. TD hired Gregg instead -- after which Lewis' agent started playing the race card. Then it came out that Lewis' wife didn't want her kids growing up in Buffalo. I think that was all sour grapes.

As for Fox, I am not sure why he didn't get the job. Perhaps TD was looking for someone with a more sustained track record. Gregg's Titans were coming off being the #1 defense in the league and had just been in the Super Bowl themselves the year before. Fox's Giants were more of a come-from-nowhere variety the year they lost to the Ravens in the Super Bowl.

Not mixing at all. A few years down the road, Donahoe had a CYA interview with either Pasquarelli or Mortenson explaining away why he hired Greggo. The Lewis (wife) story is well known, but he also aluded to another issue about Fox's lack of desire. He could have been covering for Wilson, who apparently held a grudge against Fox for quitting on Al Davis.

Where are you watching the game tonight? I was toying with the idea of coming east for the Jets game. I think Nikki can score some tix.

Will be watching from the comfort of home sweet home.

Definitely let me know, but I should warn you that parking tix to the swamp are in greater demand than game tickets. It's no fun going there now with all that stupid construction.