Don't Print Emails From UPS or Fedex Stating Delivery Failure.

Steely Dan

While you are protected better than your friend, you aren't well protected. McAfee is less than ideal protection and Noadware is junk. In fact, until very recently, it was considered a "rogue" application.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoAdware

Noadware was mentioned in the May 2008 issue of Smart Computing magazine. Specifically:

"An antispyware program with a free scanner, such as NoAdware, can help you find browser hijackers."

I like it and re-start my computer after running it to avoid the problem talked about in that article.

It seems more like self-flagellation actually.

:lol:

Go self-flagelate yourself. :lol:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't most people have some sort of ant-virus software on their computer by now that would catch these?

Its probably of zero interest to anyone on this board, but miss-typing "ant virus" got me thinking about whether there were in fact, ant viruses. Turns out there is a red fire ant specific virus, SINV-1, a picorna-like virus.

Looks like the USDA is looking at it as a possible way of controlling the fire ant infestation in the South (via WaPo).

Fire ants have been detected in 13 states, covering 320 million acres, and are spreading northward. The pest has been found as far north as Virginia and along parts of the California coastline.

In the laboratory, the virus, SINV-1, has proven to be self-sustaining and transmissible. Once introduced, it can eliminate a colony within three months.

That's why researchers believe the virus has potential as a viable biopesticide to control fire ants, known to scientists as Solenopsis invicta.

Pretty cool. One caveat I'm sure they are thinking about would be a possible jump to a new host, such as the honey bee, which would be devastating. Think of it like the bird flu scare coming from Southeast Asia. A virus mutates and gains the ability to infect a different host species.

In any event, yes, there are ant viruses.

Noadware was mentioned in the May 2008 issue of Smart Computing magazine. Specifically:

"An antispyware program with a free scanner, such as NoAdware, can help you find browser hijackers."

I like it and re-start my computer after running it to avoid the problem talked about in that article.

I am suggesting that you are using inferior computer security products, and you should consider installing better protection...that's all.

Yes, and no. Most of this stuff isn't a "virus", but rather malware...this one is a Trojan. Many "Anti-Virus" programs don't catch this stuff, some (like the free Avira) do a better job. There are Anti-Malware solutions, too and some programs (Sunbelt's Vipre, for example) that target all badware (malware and viruses).

Now some Security suites attempt to protect against all badware (with different components for viruses and malware), but they tend to be crappy and fail a lot.

Of course, even if you have the best AV and the best AM solution, a variant not yet known by your product could slip by. The weakest link, in any PC security chain, is almost always the user. A few good tips are:

Use a high quality product (many are free), and don't trust anything you hear about through spam, or a popup.

Update and scan regularly

Don't open attachments in emails unless you are CERTAIN they are safe. A friend's return address does NOT guarantee the safety of an attachment.

Thanks for the Avira tip. I downloaded it and I'm running it now. :lol:

Its probably of zero interest to anyone on this board, but miss-typing "ant virus" got me thinking about whether there were in fact, ant viruses. Turns out there is a red fire ant specific virus, SINV-1, a picorna-like virus.

Looks like the USDA is looking at it as a possible way of controlling the fire ant infestation in the South (via WaPo).

Pretty cool. One caveat I'm sure they are thinking about would be a possible jump to a new host, such as the honey bee, which would be devastating. Think of it like the bird flu scare coming from Southeast Asia. A virus mutates and gains the ability to infect a different host species.

:lol: HAHA

Now I am ascared.

My aunt had a virus. She's ok now though.

Don't run it with McAfee. With AV it is (typically) one product at a time. Just an FYI

Do you mean the background running or just running the scans simultaneously?

My aunt had a virus. She's ok now though.

Do you mean the background running or just running the scans simultaneously?

if you are going to use Avira (I would), uninstall McAfee and all of its components. You should never have two AVs active at the same time.

Why is that?

Dueling AV products can counter-act each other, blocking each other from doing its job. You can keep McAfee installed, but you should at least make sure you kill/disable all its processes. Since McAfee has a rather low detection rate and slows down the computer, I would advise uninstalling it completely.

Here is the latest report from AV-Comparatives (one of a few testers of AV products). As you can see from their ratings, Avira is awarded an "Advanced +", the highest rating. McAfee's rating is "Standard", its lowest acceptable rating. Note that the Avira tested is the paid version, but the detection ability (the engine) is the same as the free version of Avira:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2008_08.php

Taking "trojans" as an example, Avira detected 99% of the trojans in the test. McAfee detected only 83%

I have Avira running now and it's made one find which I had deleted. It's possible to shut off Avira but McAfee doesn't have that option anymore. So I'll probably turn off Avira while browsing and only turn it on to make scans of the system.

Bad idea (see the detection levels), but OK. You are FAR better off with Avira running, and McAfee no where near your computer. It is one of the first things I remove when fixing a slow and/or infected computer. I'd also remove that Noadware faster than you can say "noadware".

Make sure you update Avira before scanning.

Bad idea (see the detection levels), but OK. You are FAR better off with Avira running, and McAfee no where near your computer. It is one of the first things I remove when fixing a slow and/or infected computer. I'd also remove that Noadware faster than you can say "noadware".

Make sure you update Avira before scanning.

I paid for McAfee. :lol: It would bother me to remove it. So I'll keep it running and only use Avira to scan. Noadware will be removed after testing it to see if Avira finds everything that it would find.

I paid for McAfee. :lol: It would bother me to remove it. So I'll keep it running and only use Avira to scan. Noadware will be removed after testing it to see if Avira finds everything that it would find.

When I told a buddy of mine to remove Norton from his computer, and install Avira, his response was similar to yours, "But I paid for it, and there are eight months left in the subscription."

My response? "Just because you paid for a s#it sandwich, it doesn't mean you have to eat the entire thing."

As for noadware, I assume you only use it to scan (that it is not an active anti-malware program). If that is the case, simply remove it, and use this instead:

http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-...4-10804572.html

You download it, and use it, free for 30 days (or something). After that, you don't need to pay for it, and it still updates and scans (both manually) just fine...it just no longer serves as an "active scanner". That's OK, because with this wonderful tool, you will be alerted when malware tries to change any important settings, or install anything malicious:

http://www.winpatrol.com/

Again, the free version is fine.

Next year, when you don't have any security software bills to pay, you might want to upgrade to WinPatrol Plus (one time fee) or get the professional version of Malwarebytes. But, the free versions kick some serious ass.

When I told a buddy of mine to remove Norton from his computer, and install Avira, his response was similar to yours, "But I paid for it, and there are eight months left in the subscription."

My response? "Just because you paid for a s#it sandwich, it doesn't mean you have to eat the entire thing."

As for noadware, I assume you only use it to scan (that it is not an active anti-malware program). If that is the case, simply remove it, and use this instead:

http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-...4-10804572.html

You download it, and use it, free for 30 days (or something). After that, you don't need to pay for it, and it still updates and scans (both manually) just fine...it just no longer serves as an "active scanner". That's OK, because with this wonderful tool, you will be alerted when malware tries to change any important settings, or install anything malicious:

http://www.winpatrol.com/

Again, the free version is fine.

Next year, when you don't have any security software bills to pay, you might want to upgrade to WinPatrol Plus (one time fee) or get the professional version of Malwarebytes. But, the free versions kick some serious ass.

Since neither McAfee or Avira captured 100% of the threats I'm hoping using them together, Avira off until scanning and McAfee running full time that I'll catch a higher percentage of threats. I can't afford anything new so the thirty day thing is out.

I may download the free stuff and try it but I'm going to bed as soon as the Avira scan stops. It's been going for 2 1/4 hours and is 85% complete. In the future I'll run it when I'm away or when I'm asleep.

Since neither McAfee or Avira captured 100% of the threats I'm hoping using them together, Avira off until scanning and McAfee running full time that I'll catch a higher percentage of threats. I can't afford anything new so the thirty day thing is out.

I may download the free stuff and try it but I'm going to bed as soon as the Avira scan stops. It's been going for 2 1/4 hours and is 85% complete. In the future I'll run it when I'm away or when I'm asleep.

All I can tell you is, that doesn't work. The very few things that Avira doesn't catch aren't found by McAfee, either. This is what I do, Steely. Trust me on this one.

"I can't afford anything new so the thirty day thing is out." This shows me that you are tired, as you aren't doing a good job of reading the posts. You pay NOTHING before or after downloading, or after 30 days. You simply lose the active monitoring of malware after 30 days, which is fine, as you don't have that now, and Avira does a fairly good job of that, anyway.

All I can tell you is, that doesn't work. The very few things that Avira doesn't catch aren't found by McAfee, either. This is what I do, Steely. Trust me on this one.

"I can't afford anything new so the thirty day thing is out." This shows me that you are tired, as you aren't doing a good job of reading the posts. You pay NOTHING before or after downloading, or after 30 days. You simply lose the active monitoring of malware after 30 days, which is fine, as you don't have that now, and Avira does a fairly good job of that, anyway.

How is that different from running two programs like McAfee and Avira together?

How is that different from running two programs like McAfee and Avira together?

They do different things, and do not compete or get in each others' way.

We can continue this via PM, tomorrow, if you'd like, so we don't keep this boring stuff going on the Wall.

They do different things, and do not compete or get in each others' way.

We can continue this via PM, tomorrow, if you'd like, so we don't keep this boring stuff going on the Wall.

I actually think this is informative for a lot of people but I'm going to bed soon anyway. Have a good night.