Don't Print Emails From UPS or Fedex Stating Delivery Failure.

Steely Dan

The newest virus circulating is the UPS Delivery Failure. You will receive an email from UPS Packet Service along with a packet number. NOTE: The word packet is mis-spelled on this line. It will say that they were un-able to deliver a package sent to you on such and such a date. It then asks you to print out the invoice copy attached. DON'T TRY TO PRINT THIS. IT LAUNCHES THE VIRUS! Pass this warning on to all your PC operators at work and home. This virus has caused Millions of dollars in damage in the past few days.

Snopes confirms that it is real:

Snopes Confirmation

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never open attachments on any unsolicited email from anyone, if you want to be safe. (It's not trying to print that hurts you, it is opening the attachment, in order to print.) I tend to not even open attachments from friends, unless I am expecting one.

Never open attachments on any unsolicited email from anyone, if you want to be safe. (It's not trying to print that hurts you, it is opening the attachment, in order to print.) I tend to not even open attachments from friends, unless I am expecting one.

That's you. Others are a lot more gullible. That's why I posted it. Also, anyone who works in an office would be smart to make a memo about it. If there wasn't anyone opening these things and printing them then it wouldn't be necessary.

That's you. Others are a lot more gullible. That's why I posted it. Also, anyone who works in an office would be smart to make a memo about it. If there wasn't anyone opening these things and printing them then it wouldn't be necessary.

thanks for the heads up. Ignore the elitists

Perhaps I could have worded it better.

If you want to avoid these types of infections, don't open attachments from unsolicited emails...EVER. This UPS malware infection is only "new" because its title and payload are different than the Happy Halloween email, or the Easter Surprise (made up name, for effect) email or I Love You email near Valentine's Day or (name a holiday-related email here).

So, yes, avoid the UPS email, but better still, avoid ALL of these emails, and never open an attachment you aren't sure of. That's the advice everyone should take away, IMO.

so how long did it take you to get the virus off your computer?

I aint that dumb! I learned about it from an email sent by a family member you bas-tard! I'm trying to be a good Samaritan! 0:) Jack-ASS!!

:wallbash::devil::lol:

He does seem too obsessed with it for it to be just a heads-up, doesn't he?

:flip off:

Wouldn't most people have some sort of ant-virus software on their computer by now that would catch these?

Yes, and no. Most of this stuff isn't a "virus", but rather malware...this one is a Trojan. Many "Anti-Virus" programs don't catch this stuff, some (like the free Avira) do a better job. There are Anti-Malware solutions, too and some programs (Sunbelt's Vipre, for example) that target all badware (malware and viruses).

Now some Security suites attempt to protect against all badware (with different components for viruses and malware), but they tend to be crappy and fail a lot.

Of course, even if you have the best AV and the best AM solution, a variant not yet known by your product could slip by. The weakest link, in any PC security chain, is almost always the user. A few good tips are:

Use a high quality product (many are free), and don't trust anything you hear about through spam, or a popup.

Update and scan regularly

Don't open attachments in emails unless you are CERTAIN they are safe. A friend's return address does NOT guarantee the safety of an attachment.

Wouldn't most people have some sort of ant-virus software on their computer by now that would catch these?

You'd think but a good friend of mine doesn't run any and I keep telling him his computer is stuffed with a lot of thins he doesn't want on it but he refuses to check it out. I run McAfee and Noadware and run them once a week. I just ran no adware and removed 4 cookies.

You'd think but a good friend of mine doesn't run any and I keep telling him his computer is stuffed with a lot of thins he doesn't want on it but he refuses to check it out. I run McAfee and Noadware and run them once a week. I just ran no adware and removed 4 cookies.

While you are protected better than your friend, you aren't well protected. McAfee is less than ideal protection and Noadware is junk. In fact, until very recently, it was considered a "rogue" application.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoAdware