The Miami game was a fluke

The Big Cat

And the referees were certainly a factor against NE-

If only you "fans" were as fortunate as me, you'd know that we spent all our bad luck over the last three weeks- and that our ultimate AFCE record will be 3-3.

Watching this game, it's clear that we didn't totally crap the bed- NE and NYJ are two quality opponents.

We had Miami right we needed them- but those last four possessions (FUM, SAFETY, INT, FUM) killed us. 27 straight offensive plays with no points killed us against NYJ.

Folks keep talking like we were dominated in the last three games. Not the case, people.

12-4, here we come!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur Mr. Lion. I watched the three games again this week. There are a ton of little mistakes. Dominated? Yes if you define that as us dominating ourselves with:

1. Dumb penalties/putting ourselves in position for an butt-raping by the refs.

2. Receivers running the wrong rout/falling down.

3. Lineman blocking the wrong guy, or missing the audible call, blocking scheme? Something, but certainly not consistently getting physically abused by the other team.

4. Edwards doing his job at about 85% overall. You can't do that and win. He has to be up around 95%. You can't drive for 50 yards and then play games with the ball, overthrow receivers when nobody is even close to you, etc.

5. Lynch has got to stop dancing and hit the holes. I grant you there aren't "mack truck" holes, but they are there, it's just that they close by the time he stops dancing. Also, I remind you of last game, we were running on them badly(3 plays = 8, 7, 5 ypc) the first drive of the 4th qtr. Why we got away from it? Who knows? But it's clear as a bell that Lynch was hitting the hole and the results are obvious.

All the bad plays are certainly fixable. These are all little things!!! But, they need to get them fixed, and quit F'ing about with the ball, the play calls, etc., and start to get an attitude out there. They need to get their confidence back. Hopefully Monday night is just what we need.

I concur Mr. Lion. I watched the three games again this week. There are a ton of little mistakes. Dominated? Yes if you define that as us dominating ourselves with:

1. Dumb penalties/putting ourselves in position for an butt-raping by the refs.

2. Receivers running the wrong rout/falling down.

3. Lineman blocking the wrong guy, or missing the audible call, blocking scheme? Something, but certainly not consistently getting physically abused by the other team.

4. Edwards doing his job at about 85% overall. You can't do that and win. He has to be up around 95%. You can't drive for 50 yards and then play games with the ball, overthrow receivers when nobody is even close to you, etc.

5. Lynch has got to stop dancing and hit the holes. I grant you there aren't "mack truck" holes, but they are there, it's just that they close by the time he stops dancing. Also, I remind you of last game, we were running on them badly(3 plays = 8, 7, 5 ypc) the first drive of the 4th qtr. Why we got away from it? Who knows? But it's clear as a bell that Lynch was hitting the hole and the results are obvious.

All the bad plays are certainly fixable. These are all little things!!! But, they need to get them fixed, and quit F'ing about with the ball, the play calls, etc., and start to get an attitude out there. They need to get their confidence back. Hopefully Monday night is just what we need.

BEERS ON ME, OC.

And the referees were certainly a factor against NE-

If only you "fans" were as fortunate as me, you'd know that we spent all our bad luck over the last three weeks- and that our ultimate AFCE record will be 3-3.

Watching this game, it's clear that we didn't totally crap the bed- NE and NYJ are two quality opponents.

We had Miami right we needed them- but those last four possessions (FUM, SAFETY, INT, FUM) killed us. 27 straight offensive plays with no points killed us against NYJ.

Folks keep talking like we were dominated in the last three games. Not the case, people.

12-4, here we come!

Reguardless its still a loss in the division. i agree we could prolly win 2 maybe all 3 of those games next time but it might be to late

Miami was no fluke. They are a good team with a better front office, & MUCH BETTER, more IMAGINATIVE coaching than Buffalo.

It was definitely a fluke. A healthy McGee does NOT get torched by TGJ, and if they would have taken care of the football in the fourth quarter, they would have won- easily.

It was definitely a fluke. A healthy McGee does NOT get torched by TGJ, and if they would have taken care of the football in the fourth quarter, they would have won- easily.

We will disagree about this. Even healthy Mcgee does not have TGJ's speed. The Bills coaching & overall play in that game SUCKED.

It had more to do with the coaches making TG play off TGJ than it did TG being unhealthy. If you're looking for a culprit, the man is Perry Fewell.

Thurman Thomas had a classic move where he would hit the hole "off tackle", often turning sideways, pumping his legs to pop through a mere slice in the DL, and get 5 yards from nothing. This play opened almost every game the Bills played. They would do it over and over until someone stopped it or TT got tired. It also drew the backfield in to put Kelly's wideouts one-on-one.

Dancing along the line (east-west) and trying to pick a hole only works when your offensive linemen are pulling effectively like a plow. It is almost ballet - like the hippos in Fantasia, LOL!

This OL cannot do that.

Big Cat, thanks for the optimism!

I agree about the Miami game. Even with McGee being less than 100% we absolutely did NOT lose because of Ginn, who never managed to get in the end zone even with all of the long receptions. The game was lost simply because the offense couldn't hold onto the ball in the 4th quarter.

I agree with your assertion that the Bills have played just about as bad as they could in these past three games -- and still were not completely blown out in any contest. Note that the Pats and Jets scored more points against each other last night than either of these teams scored against us in games in which they supposedly dominated us.

Take a single bad play away from each of the games and the outcome may have been different. Any of the 4th quarter turnovers against Miami, the pick six against the Jets and the pass intended for Evans that was picked off (and accurate throw there would have probably been six points for us). Note also that health has played a major role in these three games. Hopefully the return of Butler to RG will at least help with the running game. And if the team put stheir heart and soul into it, all of the next three opponents (Cleveland, KC and SF) can be run upon.

Let's get the positive vibe going again Monday night!

I agree that there is still hope. There is no doubt that the AFCE is tough which complicates things. These last three games we had chances to win, but as was pointed out, little mistakes led to big game changers. It sucks that these were division games, but if we take care of business and go 5-2 over the last seven, we'll at least make the playoffs.

Wins against Cleveland, KC, and San Fran plus two division games at home are within reach. But it all starts on Monday night.

- BBF

I think it's fair to call the parade of turnovers in Miami a bit of a fluke. OTOH we were pretty lucky to be up 9-7 at the half and only down 17-16 before those turnovers started...I'm sure Miami fans felt like we did at halftime of the Jets game..."how are we losing"?

How many of Buffalo's wins this year were flukes?

Oakland?

St. Louis?

Jax?

Don't you know? All wins are a testament to the great coaching of this young, rookie like, inexperienced, still learning how to win (did I say young yet?) team. As our great HC has said, it is hard to win in the NFL.

All loses are flukes. If it wasn't for the other teams showing up, the Bills would be 9-0 right now, and in command of first place!

Don't you know? All wins are a testament to the great coaching of this young, rookie like, inexperienced, still learning how to win (did I say young yet?) team. As our great HC has said, it is hard to win in the NFL.

All loses are flukes. If it wasn't for the other teams showing up, the Bills would be 9-0 right now, and in command of first place!

Games I consider flukes are ones that hinge on self-inflicted or weather-inflicted mistakes and turnovers. The Miami game qualifies as such, and nobody handed us ANYTHING in any of our wins.

The Seattle game was a win for all three phases. The Jacksonville game was a hard fought battle, and their only turnover resulted from a tipped ball at the line and a good play by McGee.

The closest one to being a "fluke" was the Oakland game, but it didn't take them coughing up the ball for us to win- in fact, one could make the argument that the only reason it WAS a game was because some of the bonehead things WE did to keep them in it. They backed off from their aggressive game plan, probably because they were too tired by the fourth quarter.

We dominated the Rams in the second half, and we were in control of the San Diego game the whole time.

Your cynicism is appreciated, but just as evil always falls to good, I will trump you with my optimism anytime, anywhere. AND I'll enjoy these Bills way more than you will. Pity.

Games I consider flukes are ones that hinge on self-inflicted or weather-inflicted mistakes and turnovers. The Miami game qualifies as such, and nobody handed us ANYTHING in any of our wins.

The Seattle game was a win for all three phases. The Jacksonville game was a hard fought battle, and their only turnover resulted from a tipped ball at the line and a good play by McGee.

The closest one to being a "fluke" was the Oakland game, but it didn't take them coughing up the ball for us to win- in fact, one could make the argument that the only reason it WAS a game was because some of the bonehead things WE did to keep them in it. They backed off from their aggressive game plan, probably because they were too tired by the fourth quarter.

We dominated the Rams in the second half, and we were in control of the San Diego game the whole time.

Your cynicism is appreciated, but just as evil always falls to good, I will trump you with my optimism anytime, anywhere. AND I'll enjoy these Bills way more than you will. Pity.

If you can take enjoyment out of losing more power to you. I still don't understand how you could call the Miami game a fluke. Anyone that has seen the Fins play this year, will have to say they have a good team, with good imaginitive coaching. Aside from the poor overall play by the Bills in that game, the offensive playcalling was terrible, & playing McGee without at least giving him help was a VERY POOR coaching decision. Where is the fluke in that?

I have not tried to stop you from enjoying the Bills wins. Enjoy them to your hearts content. Even the delusional desire a reality where "events" took place based a on a criteria of hope and "happy thoughts".