IF we beat Cleveland, will you feel more optimistic?

Alden Bulldog

Will you feel more optimsitc if we beat Cleveland?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Will you feel more optimsitc if we beat Cleveland?

• YES. It would be a huge turnaround
    • NO. Season's over no matter what happens
    • Other opinions

Hey. I know a lot of Bills fans gave up on the season after our loss to New England.

BUT this upcoming game vs. the Browns is huge.

The Pats & Jets will play tonight meaning one of them will drop to 6-4.

If we win we'll be tied for 2nd at 6-4.

If we beat Cleveland will you start BILLieving again?

Depends on how we win.

If we put together a solid game in all three areas -- on offense, do we show signs of being able to run the ball and protect the QB, and does Trent take better care of the football; on defense do we get to the QB and stop the run; and does the gameplan look more like games 1-4 and less like games 7-9 -- then I'll start to Billieve again.

If not?

Depends on how we win.

If we put together a solid game in all three areas -- on offense, do we show signs of being able to run the ball and protect the QB, and does Trent take better care of the football; on defense do we get to the QB and stop the run; and does the gameplan look more like games 1-4 and less like games 7-9 -- then I'll start to Billieve again.

If not?

When the Bills beat a team with a winning record and they do so in straight up fashion (neither team has a bunch of turnovers or penalties), then I'll adjust my thinking. A good hard fought game between two good teams. That kind of game.

I wont feel optomistic unless we win the next 3, and then win a division game or possibly 2

I was gonna say that there were people who would only give up their "right" to B word needlessly if...but this guy said it for me. :wallbash:

It's a one game a week season, sure, but there's no way we don't go 3-0, never mind simply beating Cleveland, over the next 3 games. I would also go so far as to say that we beat Miami at "home". So that's 4-0 and 9-4 overall. I'm sorry but if you can't feel positive about being 5-4 with 7 winnable games left on the schedule, some almost locks, then what will you feel positive about? I'd venture to guess that this beats the hell out of last year at this time, when we the same record, but barely any winnable games left.

I was gonna say that there were people who would only give up their "right" to B word needlessly if...but this guy said it for me. :wallbash:

It's a one game a week season, sure, but there's no way we don't go 3-0, never mind simply beating Cleveland, over the next 3 games. I would also go so far as to say that we beat Miami at "home". So that's 4-0 and 9-4 overall. I'm sorry but if you can't feel positive about being 5-4 with 7 winnable games left on the schedule, some almost locks, then what will you feel positive about? I'd venture to guess that this beats the hell out of last year at this time, when we the same record, but barely any winnable games left.

what about the bills the last few weeks give you this idea they'll reach 9-4?

Their stellar rushing game?

The ability of the offensive line to pick up line stunts and blitzes

The ability of the defense to get 3 and outs and not give up clock consuming quarter length drives?

the ability of the defense to get a pass rush?

To force turnovers?

Ability of other receivers to step up opposite evans?

Just curious. It's not needless bitching. It's rightful criticism. Yeah on paper there are winable games left. The Bills have shown nothing to my eyes that makes me say they're gonna do such and such. Feel free to disagre

what about the bills the last few weeks give you this idea they'll reach 9-4?

Their stellar rushing game?

The ability of the offensive line to pick up line stunts and blitzes

The ability of the defense to get 3 and outs and not give up clock consuming quarter length drives?

the ability of the defense to get a pass rush?

To force turnovers?

Ability of other receivers to step up opposite evans?

Just curious. It's not needless bitching. It's rightful criticism. Yeah on paper there are winable games left. The Bills have shown nothing to my eyes that makes me say they're gonna do such and such. Feel free to disagre

Needlessly = we all know what we saw the last 3 games. But, somehow you feel the need to remind us? What does that need come from, exactly? And, is there anything in what you write that explains why this is happening? Or can we expect you merely telling us that it's happening over, and over, and over?

To be fair, I don't want to lay all of the nonsense I have been reading tonight on you. But this is getting ridiculous.

I think our whole season hinges on the Cleveland game. If we lose, it's OVER. You might as well stick us in the oven like a Thanksgiving turkey. But if we win, it could mark the beginning of our playoff run. I still am not happy with the coaching staff by any means and believe that we need change. Change we can all believe in. And if you say we can't do it, I say emphatically, "YES WE CAN!!!" Sorry, I couldn't resist :wallbash: Either way, this game IS our season. 5-5 with our schedule the rest of the way would be disasterous. 6-4 on the other hand, with KC, San Fran, Denver, and the AFC East again leaves us with a real fighting chance. I also think that our team will roll over for the rest of the year if we lose. I believe that they organization will put Schoebel on I.R. They will play all of the rookies alot more to see if they start progressing and show some promise as to why they were drafted. We will be playing for a draft slot.

Needlessly = we all know what we saw the last 3 games. But, somehow you feel the need to remind us? What does that need come from, exactly? And, is there anything in what you write that explains why this is happening? Or can we expect you merely telling us that it's happening over, and over, and over?

To be fair, I don't want to lay all of the nonsense I have been reading tonight on you. But this is getting ridiculous.

There's multiple reasons. Why it's happening. Everyone knows the reasons. Lack of talent on the interior line. Because of injuries/poor pro personell evaluation. Could be scheme issues with coaching. A NFL line should be able to pick up a basic 3/4 man rush, and line stunts. The Bills look like they've never even practice against these things. Defensively the bills simply lack talent in their front 7. Their lb's are uber stiff in coverage, Their de's are just not all that athletic or talented. Denney has a very slow 1st step. Kelsay looks every bit the overpriced backup caliber player he is.

His containment is worse then Denney's, and has a poor 1st step and closing burst. We can plead with Perry Fewell all we want to blitz more. Except the lb's are not good at blitzing. We don't want to blitz the secondary all that often, because the depth in the secondary is poor. Defensively more then anything I believe it's a talent issue. The problem being, we'll be drafting too far up to get an athletic freak like george selvie or rey maualuga that this defense desperately lacks. It's not an issue that can be fixed this year. The only thing they can do, is play in a shell conservative defense to contain the bleeding. While hoping the offense picks up the running game. Otherwise we're in store for a lot more of these games where teams kill 8-10 minutes off the clock with a 4th quarter drive.

This is the "rally the troops after playing like crap for 2-3 weeks in a game we're favored to win against a blah team at home". It's a game even bad teams frequently win and it's a game the Bills have been winning for years (think Rams 04, Chiefs 05, Packers 06). As an added bonus it's on MNF. So no I'm not going to feel more optimistic because I've seen this movie way too many times. Wake me up for the Jets rematch when we're 9-4, which we'll have to be to do anything this yr.

When the Bills beat a team with a winning record and they do so in straight up fashion (neither team has a bunch of turnovers or penalties), then I'll adjust my thinking. A good hard fought game between two good teams. That kind of game.

Exactly. This team has too many deep-seated problems to inspire much confidence that it can beat the better teams in this league. The kind of win you've described is necessary to start creating that conference. Yet another win against a weak team (in this case, Cleveland) isn't enough.

We will win our next 4 to set up the rematch/show down with the JETS, a game that Buffalo will be healthier for. The Bills will be 9-4 for the game in the Meadolands. I feel the Bills control their destiny for a 10-6 or 11-5 record.

I wish I shared your optimism, but you are right, the Bills control their destiny. If they go 10-6, three of those games better be wins against Miami, NY, & the Pats* to make the playoffs.

It depends. Just remember that this team kicked our ass in Dec last year in the snow. You can also bet that a fair number of CLE fans will be in the house. So they already have book on TE.

The question then becomes how well can we block their DTs. Right now I am not very optimistic. Our OL is a version of the NYS Thruway - just toll free. They can't open up holes for our RBs. Their pass blocking is schizophrenic. Edwards either has enough time to grill burgers back there or he is flat on his ass at Half Mississipi.

Depending on which OL shows up, we either have a 40% chance of victory or no chance.

Hopefully Stroud and Mitchell will be factors in our D. If not, Jamal Lewis will be running rough shod over our "elite" D.

C