Would 8-8 or 9-7 be an improvement

I wouldn't think so, based on having one of the softer schedules based on the opponent's last-season records for what that's worth, and getting wins off of some teams early on, one with big OL injuries and two with organizational turmoil.

There are some offensive woes - but clubs pulling off these long, time consuming drives, points to a defense problem.

Coaching schemes, talent, I dunno.

I'd still like to see a corner or safety blitz a couple of times per game...spice things up...no b*lls no glory etc.

With a bunch of hefty Clydesdales populating the OL, I'd send them straight ahead on a quick snap count, cut the cute fanciness, cut the deep hand-offs, and give 3 yards and a cloud of dust a try. Even though the rules today scream pass-pass-pass.

....and that's exactly what we're seeing.....Buffalo blitzing a "couple of times per game". NE blitzed twice on Buffalo's first 3 offensive plays, 2nd down (whacked TE & forced a bad throw) and 3rd down (sacked TE). The question is, "Why is Fewell's defense not putting any pressure on opposing QB's"?

Playoffs of any sort would be huge, but any winning record would be an improvement, IMO. Losing breeds more losing, and Jauron needs to get over that hump. If he doesn't get it done this year, that will be 7 losing seasons in 8 years as a HC and that's not counting his winless interim stint in Detroit. You'd have to be in complete denial to excuse such futility. Perception is reality, especially in the NFL, so since we're stuck with him it's important that he shakes that tag as a loser before his young team starts maturing and loses whatever faith they still might have in his leadership.

Last year, the Bills played the NFC East, which had eventual SB Champ Giants getting into the playoffs as a wildcard. (And some would contend that nearly the entire team was on IR.) The Bills played a rookie QB most of the year, etc.

This year, Tom Brady went down in the 1st quarter of the 1st game and the Bills play the weak sister NFC West, which as a division is markedly worse than last year and atrocious overall. The Jets and Dolphins (feign surprise) did not stand pat and did improve their clubs, but so did the Bills (Stroud, losing Fairchild), right?

So would an 9-7 record be a improvement? a big improvement? What about 8-8?

I'll be interested to have this conversation in three weeks, when they may well be 8-4.

Or they may well be 5-7. I don't know about you but I have no clue which team is going to show up in any given week.

....and that's exactly what we're seeing.....Buffalo blitzing a "couple of times per game". NE blitzed twice on Buffalo's first 3 offensive plays, 2nd down (whacked TE & forced a bad throw) and 3rd down (sacked TE). The question is, "Why is Fewell's defense not putting any pressure on opposing QB's"?

I think PF is gun-shy after these past few weeks. Most of those blitzes featured Mitchell and promptly were handled by opposing OL and his predictability is what I can't understand. We know Mitchell excelled while blitzing for NYG, but in Buffalo he doesn't have the supporting cast to be as effective. It's time for something different.

Going a step further, the DL can't generate pressure on it's own. Everyone knows it, and they're not that talented enough. A hallmark of the C2 is dropping those LB's into short zone coverage. I think PF's more concerned about pass coverage on the short to intermediate routes than he is rushing the passer.

I remember when people were saying that 7-9 season last year was improvement over the the 06 7-9 record because of injuries. That's fine, but I haven't heard a chorus of "we're progressing" this year despite a 5-4 record.

Making the playoffs in 2008 was the goal, and every fan with a pulse knows it. Given the schedule, and Brady's injury, an 8-8 or 9-7 without the playoffs is unsatisfactory.

There are quite a few fans (probably ones who've grown up with this mediocrity since 2000) who don't see anything wrong with what's going on. They've never known anything different. I'd believe it's time to demand some accountability for 2 seasons of rebuilding and a subsequent non-playoff season. 7-9 or 8-8 isn't cutting it.

I second this!!

Even 10-6 and not making the playoffs because we can't win a division game, or even a tough conference game is completely unacceptable given the softness of the schedule and the whole Brady thing.

Or they may well be 5-7. I don't know about you but I have no clue which team is going to show up in any given week.

At 4-0 it was hard to imagine the Bills sliding to 5-4. Now it's hard to imagine them winning at all. Certainly the'll win a few before it's over. Adjusted (lower) expectations are in order for this team. It just makes life easier for 3 hours on Sunday.

I think PF is gun-shy after these past few weeks. Most of those blitzes featured Mitchell and promptly were handled by opposing OL and his predictability is what I can't understand. We know Mitchell excelled while blitzing for NYG, but in Buffalo he doesn't have the supporting cast to be as effective. It's time for something different.

Going a step further, the DL can't generate pressure on it's own. Everyone knows it, and they're not that talented enough. A hallmark of the C2 is dropping those LB's into short zone coverage. I think PF's more concerned about pass coverage on the short to intermediate routes than he is rushing the passer.

If Fewell is concerned about pass coverage on the short to intermediate routes, he is utterly inept at doing anything to counteract it. That is *exactly* where the pass coverage is getting shredded. Between the dink and dunk passes and runs in between, teams are cranking off 8 and 9 minute offensive drives on Fewells defense. That's just pathetic.

I wholeheartedly agree about Fewell's predictability, not to mention his inexplicable inability or refusal to make any adjustments to the defensive scheme when his group is getting torched. Just baffling.

Last year, the Bills played the NFC East, which had eventual SB Champ Giants getting into the playoffs as a wildcard. (And some would contend that nearly the entire team was on IR.) The Bills played a rookie QB most of the year, etc.

This year, Tom Brady went down in the 1st quarter of the 1st game and the Bills play the weak sister NFC West, which as a division is markedly worse than last year and atrocious overall. The Jets and Dolphins (feign surprise) did not stand pat and did improve their clubs, but so did the Bills (Stroud, losing Fairchild), right?

So would an 9-7 record be a improvement? a big improvement? What about 8-8?

Literally, yes it's an improvement. But we will have blown a golden opportunity at making it into the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade.