Report: Obama's Healthcare plan to cost $75B

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081112/ts_nm/...bama_healthcare

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President-elect Barack Obama's plans to overhaul the U.S. healthcare system would cost the federal government $75 billion the first year but would provide health insurance for 95 percent of Americans, consulting firm PriceWaterhouseCoopers said on Wednesday.

Thoughts?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President-elect Barack Obama's plans to overhaul the U.S. healthcare system would cost the federal government $75 billion the first year but would provide health insurance for 95 percent of Americans, consulting firm PriceWaterhouseCoopers said on Wednesday.

Thoughts?

is it 75B additional dollars, or does his plan deduct expenditures already in the budget?

Thoughts?

Try $750 billion minium.

And what about in the years following?

"The plan would increase to $1 trillion cumulatively by 2018 or approximately $130 billion per year," the report said.

While the plan would extend health insurance to two-thirds of the 47 million people who currently lack it, the overhaul may worsen some problems, such as a shortage of primary care doctors, the analysis found.

"Unless costs are cut, growing health care costs will increase the costs of Obama's plan dramatically over time and reduce the effectiveness of mandates. This could make the federal costs unsustainably high," the report said.

So it will cost $2500/per year per person? For what kind of coverage?

What will the deductible be? What are the out-of-pocket costs for exams, X-rays, office visits and lab work?

What percentage of out-patient surgery will people be responsible for?

What about their percentage for inpatient surgery and maternity?

What about their percentage of emergency room care?

What's the deductible for prescriptions?

Will women be able to pick and choose their OB/GYN or will they be assigned only a few to choose from?

These are just a few questions that will determine how viable this program will be.

And before people start jumping on me for being a rightwingnut trying to bust balls, let me say my company spent almost $50,000 ensuring four people and their spouses last year. I'll be happy to pocket that dough if I can move my employees to Obama's plan. But it's just not as simple as saying "Here's your health care." And it SURE the hell is not as simple as $2500 per year per person. That number is incredibly low for even the most basic of health care.

"The plan would increase to $1 trillion cumulatively by 2018 or approximately $130 billion per year," the report said.

While the plan would extend health insurance to two-thirds of the 47 million people who currently lack it, the overhaul may worsen some problems, such as a shortage of primary care doctors, the analysis found.

"Unless costs are cut, growing health care costs will increase the costs of Obama's plan dramatically over time and reduce the effectiveness of mandates. This could make the federal costs unsustainably high," the report said.

Dev, I think your football analogy in the other thread can be made to apply here as well.

So it will cost $2500/per year per person? For what kind of coverage?

What will the deductible be? What are the out-of-pocket costs for exams, X-rays, office visits and lab work?

What percentage of out-patient surgery will people be responsible for?

What about their percentage for inpatient surgery and maternity?

What about their percentage of emergency room care?

What's the deductible for prescriptions?

Will women be able to pick and choose their OB/GYN or will they be assigned only a few to choose from?

These are just a few questions that will determine how viable this program will be.

And before people start jumping on me for being a rightwingnut trying to bust balls, let me say my company spent almost $50,000 ensuring four people and their spouses last year. I'll be happy to pocket that dough if I can move my employees to Obama's plan. But it's just not as simple as saying "Here's your health care." And it SURE the hell is not as simple as $2500 per year per person. That number is incredibly low for even the most basic of health care.

Who cares about all that crap! The real question is: Can I buy Viagara on this plan?

:lol:

Ya, health care is NOT:

...promote the general Welfare...

Welfare

welfare n. 1. health, happiness, or prosperity; well-being. [<ME wel faren, to fare well] Source: AHD

Yep... The meaning has nothing to do with that.

:wub:;)

The "General Welfare" is not the sum total of all individual welfare.

Considering how mush we are dropping on foreign wars and the bailout... This is chump change.

No?

Wars end, and bailouts are one-time fixes (supposedly). Entitlements are paid forever.

When exactly does this expenditure end? And if we decide it is a mistake or unworkable, how politically do we rescind the benifits and tax credits granted to the uninsured under the plan?

I suggest that everyone reads the entire article and not cherry pick sentences. Overall, it's seems reasonable enough to give a serious look.

No one can give it a serious look without a least answering some of the basic questions I posed above. You're giving health care to people who can not afford it, but you also have to ask the question "Can they afford what is not covered?" Because if they can't, then whatever costs you think you're associating with this program go straight to hell until you factor in how much money is going to be required to cover the costs that the consumer can't or won't pay.