The real problem with the offense?

Say what you want about Bledsoe, but the O-line sucks. Put JP behind it and teams MAY scheme differently, but blitz him up the middle and he breaks his leg again either getting sacked or running and getting tackled. The question is, will TD go down with the ship and prevent McNally from making the moves he WANTED to make (MW at LG, Jennings probably at RT, start Price, etc.), or do we see some changes there. Or is it just too late (or more precisely, too early for next year)?

that's just not true. watch the tape. yes, they make mistakes. but not as many mistakes as drew. drew makes more mistakes than any other player on this team, including Josh Reed.

85637[/snapback]

And he's the QB, which is a double, or triple whammy.... B)

There is no way to analyze this offense and blame it on one player, or one segment of the offense. THe OL is bad, but so are the skill players. Bledsoe makse the OL look worse than it is because of his immobility. We have no speed at RB which gives the defense the luxury of cheating up. Our TE is a 3rd stringer on most teams. Moulds is grossly overrated and has lost his big play capability. Reed is awful. Evans is a rookie and surrounded so many misfits he has no chance of blossoming into anything.

I think it's wishful thinking to think there is only one thing wrong with this offense.

There is no way to analyze this offense and blame it on one player, or one segment of the offense.  THe OL is bad, but so are the skill players.  Bledsoe makse the OL look worse than it is because of his immobility.  We have no speed at RB which gives the defense the luxury of cheating up.  Our TE is a 3rd stringer on most teams. Moulds is grossly overrated and has lost his big play capability.  Reed is awful.  Evans is a rookie and surrounded so many misfits he has no chance of blossoming into anything.

I think it's wishful thinking to think there is only one thing wrong with this offense.

85643[/snapback]

True to a certain extent. However even an average O-line would be a vast improvement. The running game is struggling because the O-line and backs can't block consistently. And since Mularkey's scheme is based around a strong running game, the whole offense struggles. Then add-on ineptitude from the "skill position" players and you see what we've been getting.

You know, to be perfectly honest, and I'm going out on a limb here, I disagree with you.

By no means do I think that our offensive line is filled with Pro Bowlers. Our offensive line is, at best, average. But I really don't think that they are as God-awful as many here are making them out to be.

I have now seen, in a few games this year, how our line has been able to start taking over games in the second half. I think it's the sign of a decent unit when the group starts wearing down a defense in the third and fourth quarters. That's what I was seeing in this Ravens game, and I saw it in the Miami game, and I saw shades of it in the Jacksonville game as well. Perhaps even the Jets game.

Some of this has to do with Willis, of course, but I think it goes both ways; Willis makes this line look better, and this line makes Willis look better too.

One important thing to keep in mind is that Baltimore, Miami, and Jacksonville all have very very good defenses. The fact that this line was wearing these defenses down in the second half, I think says a lot.

Granted, they are not opening the holes they need to when we're in the red zone. I am almost certainly making them sound better than they are, don't get me wrong. But this line is a big reason we beat Miami, and it's a big reason we should have beaten Baltimore and Jacksonville. If Drew sees Henry open for a TD on the first drive, and he manages to hit Moulds for the easy TD, then we're probably here talking about how our offense got the job done against a great defense.

In the same way that a good running back makes an offensive line look better (and vice-versa), the same holds true for the quarterback. This line is certainly much better at run blocking than pass blocking. And Drew is like a deer in the headlights back there. Neither the line nor Drew does much of anything to make the other look better.

I do believe, though, that if you stick a QB back there who has better touch passes and a better feel for the pass rush, and both will look a lot better. And nod's right, all it takes is a step or two here and there in the pocket to get it done. Like when I was watching the Jets-Pats game yesterday, the Pats DE clearly beat the Jets RT with an outside rush (shades of Mike Williams), but Pennington merely stepped up in the pocket and the rusher was out of the play. In our game, the same thing happened; Drew doesn't step up in the pocket, and the guy MW did or did not block is still able to reach him; sack, fumble, end of story.

I've had enough of that.

Say what you want about Bledsoe, but the O-line sucks.  Put JP behind it and teams MAY scheme differently, but blitz him up the middle and he breaks his leg again either getting sacked or running and getting tackled.  The question is, will TD go down with the ship and prevent McNally from making the moves he WANTED to make (MW at LG, Jennings probably at RT, start Price, etc.), or do we see some changes there.  Or is it just too late (or more precisely, too early for next year)?

85620[/snapback]

Wrong.Our O-line played fairly well against balty.Drew is horrible---and stunk it up over and over while having plenty of time to throw most of the afterrnoon.Yeah--he had tons of pressure on him when he missed a wide open Moulds for a TD.Get your eyes checked. This is an average O-line and a horrible QB.

that's just not true. watch the tape. yes, they make mistakes. but not as many mistakes as drew. drew makes more mistakes than any other player on this team, including Josh Reed.

85637[/snapback]

How can you draw accurate conclusions from "watcing the tape" when you don't know what play was called? That is presumptuous and just wrong.