R.I.P., Tom Borrelli

Lori

Folks,

Buffalo News sports writer Tom Borrelli could use any thoughts, prayers, and/or good karma you want to send his way. Saturday afternoon, while covering a Harvard Cup game at All High Stadium, the Tonawanda native and Buffalo State grad fell down the stairs connecting the press box with the top of the stands. At last report, he's in critical condition with head and neck injuries.

From the BN's Prep Talk blog: Best wishes to Tom Borrelli

wow....Prayers to Tom and his family.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update from this morning: Hope held out for News reporter still in critical condition after fall

Not good: "Borrelli, 51, is breathing with a respirator and is unable to move his arms and legs, said family members who are holding out hope his condition will improve once his extensive swelling goes down."

The cause?

Borrelli fell down a steep set of iron stairs leading to the press box at All High Stadium. Located behind Bennett High School, the field underwent a $9 million renovation in 2007.

Plans for a new press box and an elevator to get to it were in the initial plans but got cut because of project overruns, said a spokesman for LP Ciminelli.

Stefan Mychajliw, spokesman for the Buffalo Public Schools, was asked about how the renovations got cut. He responded with a message from Superintendent James A. Williams that he hoped for the best for Borrelli’s recovery.

Borrelli was covering a game between McKinley and Riverside high schools, which was called off at halftime because he was injured so badly.

Others who have covered sports events at All High called the press box stairs dangerous. Some reporters refused to use the press box because of them.

Kozak said he frequently hits his head on a girder at the top of the stairs, either going up or coming down.

“At least once a week, someone would say, it’s a wonder that somebody doesn’t get killed,” he said.

To get to the press box, reporters climb what a project architect said is essentially a ship’s ladder, with two handrails. They then climb through a trap door and walk along a catwalk on the stadium roof to the press box.

“The stadium was dedicated on May 29, 1929,” Kozak said. “I bet you those stairs are the same ones.”

Update from this morning: Hope held out for News reporter still in critical condition after fall

Not good: "Borrelli, 51, is breathing with a respirator and is unable to move his arms and legs, said family members who are holding out hope his condition will improve once his extensive swelling goes down."

The cause?

Wow. Where's the shaking-head smiley?

Nice "PR" job by Stefan Mychliweurwieoulksjdklw, BTW. :blink:

Wow. Where's the shaking-head smiley?

Nice "PR" job by Stefan Mychliweurwieoulksjdklw, BTW. :wallbash:

Programming note: Stefan M. previously worked for two of the three TV stations in the Buffalo market. Neither job ended well.

From Keith, a nice tribute planned for Saturday's radio broadcast:

Harvard Cup radio wishing Borrelli well Saturday

Saturday's broadcast of the Intense Milk Harvard Cup Game of the Week broadcast on WJJL-AM (1440) will include well wishes for News sports reporter Tom Borrelli from anyone who wants to offer them.

On Thursday and Friday morning, those wishing to leave an audio get well message for Tom may do so by calling WJJL at 674-9555 between 7:30 and 10:30 a.m. WJJL's Steve Mitchell will be recording messages on both days.

The messages will be played during Saturday's 2 p.m. broadcast of the semifinal between Riverside and McKinley. The game is actually being played at 10 a.m. at All High Stadium but is being broadcast via tape delay at 2. The second semifinal, between Grover Cleveland and Hutch-Tech, will be played at 2 p.m. at All High.

The McKinley-Riverside semifinal will be broadcast online at 2 p.m. via the National High School Broadcast Network -- here's a direct link to use Saturday afternoon.

"Let's keep Tom in our prayers," said Harvard Cup play-by-play man and unofficial league historian Rich Kozak. "I know if circumstances were different, we'd be shoulder-to-shoulder in the press box this weekend."

---Keith McShea

Programming note: Stefan M. previously worked for two of the three TV stations in the Buffalo market. Neither job ended well.

I remember Stefan (not personally, mind you) from his time at WGRZ, but never heard anything about his departure.

One more bump. Tom's colleague at The News, Michael Beebe, posted this on the Sports, Ink blog for anyone who may be so inclined:

For those wanting to send a card to Tom, the address is

Tom Borrelli

Trauma ICU

Erie County Medical Center

462 Grider St.

Buffalo, N.Y. 14215

Sadly, WBEN just announced that Borelli has passed away due to his injuries.

I was unaware of the extent of his injuries, but the report stated that he had been paralyzed as a result of the fall.

Sad news as he was only 51. Prayers out to his family and loved ones. . . .

Wow, I have no idea who this guy is, but under the circumstances (of all I've read about this guy and the condition of that facility where he fell) of this terrible accident I wish his family the best. RIP Tom, and I'm saying a prayer for you and your family.