Reminder: UB @ Akron Thursday at 7pm on ESPNU

PromoTheRobot

This is also the final Akron Zips game at the Rubber Bowl.

Some memorable Rubber Bowl moments.

The new stadium, which is on-campus (the Rubber Bowl is several miles away), is named Infocision Stadium, and the Indiana Hoosiers will come to Akron to open it on September 19.

I'm known as an Ohio State fan on this board, but some of you may know that I also root for the Zips. The University of Akron was the first to accept me into law school, so it holds a special place in my heart.

CNNSI's resident college football expert did his 2008 bowl projections, and I was VERY happy to see that he has UB playing Hawaii in the Hawaii Bowl on Christmas Eve (he has UB as a replacement for a conference without enough bowl eligible teams...in this case the PAC10 No. 6). Of course, we need our Bulls to keep up the solid play and I think win at least two out of the last three (winning out would pretty much assure them of a bowl game). How great a reward would it be for the Bulls to play in Hawaii?! :wallbash:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...ex.html?eref=T1

CNNSI's resident college football expert did his 2008 bowl projections, and I was VERY happy to see that he has UB playing Hawaii in the Hawaii Bowl on Christmas Eve (he has UB as a replacement for a conference without enough bowl eligible teams...in this case the PAC10 No. 6). Of course, we need our Bulls to keep up the solid play and I think win at least two out of the last three (winning out would pretty much assure them of a bowl game). How great a reward would it be for the Bulls to play in Hawaii?! :devil:

Mark Schlabach on ESPN.com has the same thing.

Linky.

That would be great for the UB program...sunshine, palm trees and hula girls leading up to a date with the Hawaii Warriors on Christmas Eve. :w00t:

Mark Schlabach on ESPN.com has the same thing.

Linky.

That would be great for the UB program...sunshine, palm trees and hula girls leading up to a date with the Hawaii Warriors on Christmas Eve. :devil:

The Rubber Bowl was host to an An Army War Show on July 22, 1942.

An Army war show?

:w00t:

Not exactly sitting down with picnic in basket to witness the Battle of Bull Run... Hmmm... The "good ole days."

The Rubber Bowl was host to an An Army War Show on July 22, 1942.

An Army war show?

Not exactly sitting down with picnic in basket to witness the Battle of Bull Run... Hmmm... The "good ole days."

:devil:

Those were actually pretty popular on the homefront during WWII. I remember reading that one was held at Cleveland Municipal Stadium around the same time and drew over 70,000 people.

They even had an air raid drill during the show. The lights of the stadium were turned off. No one made a sound, lit a match, or pulled out a flashlight.

Those were actually pretty popular on the homefront during WWII. I remember reading that one was held at Cleveland Municipal Stadium around the same time and drew over 70,000 people.

They even had an air raid drill during the show. The lights of the stadium were turned off. No one made a sound, lit a match, or pulled out a flashlight.

True...

Trying doing that today in the Oppostional Disorder Society we have! :devil::w00t:

Some stories about the Rubber Bowl from today's Akron Beacon Journal.

I've only driven by the Rubber Bowl; I've never actually been in the stadium. You can tell on TV, though, that the place is a dump. It hasn't aged well. The Rubber Bowl is also not the easiest place in the world to get to.

The Akron Zips deserve their new stadium.

Frye, a backup quarterback with the Seattle Seahawks and third-round pick of the Browns in 2005, remembers the Rubber Bowl locker room as too close for comfort.

''It was like inhuman,'' he said by phone earlier this week. ''The bath

rooms were in the locker room, the urinal trough was right beside the lockers. You had to have plenty of candles lit and Lysol when the offensive linemen got those nervous stomachs.''

That is really funny!! B-):lol:

This is also the final Akron Zips game at the Rubber Bowl.

Some memorable Rubber Bowl moments.

The new stadium, which is on-campus (the Rubber Bowl is several miles away), is named Infocision Stadium, and the Indiana Hoosiers will come to Akron to open it on September 19.

I'm known as an Ohio State fan on this board, but some of you may know that I also root for the Zips. The University of Akron was the first to accept me into law school, so it holds a special place in my heart.

Wow. I remember playing a little league game in the Rubber Bowl many moons ago. We may have even won.

Go UB! It may have to be a shootout for UB to win.

PS Akron's new stadium looks nice. I know UB's stadium was build for the World University Games, but I hate the fact that the track keeps the seats so far from the field(especially the ones in the endzone). I doubt this can ever be corrected short of bulldozing it and starting from scratch.

UB plays Akron for sole possession of 1st place in the MAC East. Some of you may enjoy seeing a Buffalo football team that actually plays well. BTW, if you ever want to read some UB Bulls football (and basketball) chat, here is the link: UBfan.com

PTR

Although, I certainly wish the Bulls well tonight(in fact I may even bet them @ +3.5) your snide comments about the other football team in Buffalo are not necassary when promoting UB. In fact they have played so well they have the same dam record as the Bills do. I have taken my little guy to 3 home games this year, Temple, Army & Miami(ohio), I could honestly say they have only played well in one of those games(Miami). The other two games they probably should of lost. I bet alot of college football & one thing I can tell you is that Army & Temple are two of the worst teams in college football. Definately in the bottom 10. So keep up the good work in promoting UB, just stop with the snide comments about the Bills. They are going to get this thing turned around Monday night.

CNNSI's resident college football expert did his 2008 bowl projections, and I was VERY happy to see that he has UB playing Hawaii in the Hawaii Bowl on Christmas Eve (he has UB as a replacement for a conference without enough bowl eligible teams...in this case the PAC10 No. 6). Of course, we need our Bulls to keep up the solid play and I think win at least two out of the last three (winning out would pretty much assure them of a bowl game). How great a reward would it be for the Bulls to play in Hawaii?! B-)

Awesome :lol:

Un-freakin-believable game! 4th overtime. UB forces the fumble then kicks the winning FG! 43-40 over Akron. UB alone in 1st at 6-4, 4-2 in the conference. If they beat Bowling Green next Friday at 6pm they clinch the East and earn a spot in the MAC final. FYI: that game will be available PPV ($7.95) online stream. I'll post the link if anyone is interested.

Message to Gordio: Aren't we being a tad sensitive? All I said was UB was a happy football story, based on the fact they were on a 3 (now 4) game winning streak, as opposed to the Bills that lost 3.

PTR