Stat Time -- Max Number of Consecutive Losses

ChasBB

Only 2 previous Super Bowl champions ever lost 3 CONSECUTIVE games during the season -- the 2000 Baltimore Ravens and the 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers. In fact, the Ravens were 5-1, lost 3 straight to go 5-4, but won out the remainder of the season. So, it can be done, but history certainly does not favor this scenario.

Since the Super Bowl started, MOST Super Bowl Champion teams had ZERO occurrences of CONSECUTIVE losses while another good chunk had no more than 2 CONSECUTIVE losses. Here's the breakdown for the 42 Super Bowl Champion teams:

24 Super Bowl Champions had NO consecutive losses

2 Super Bowl Champions had maximum of 1 1/2 consecutive losses (includes a tie & a loss together)

14 Super Bowl Champions had maximum of 2 consecutive losses

2 Super Bowl Champions had maximum of 3 consecutive losses

Here's the history (maximum CONSECUTIVE losses in parentheses):

1966 Green Bay Packers (1)

1967 Green Bay Packers (2)

1968 New York Jets (1)

1969 Kansas City Chiefs (1)

1970 Baltimore Colts (1 1/2 -- a tie followed by a loss)

1971 Dallas Cowboys (1)

1972 Miami Dolphins (0)

1973 Miami Dolphins (1)

1974 Pittsburgh Steelers (1 1/2 -- a tie followed by a loss)

1975 Pittsburgh Steelers (1)

1976 Oakland Raiders (1)

1977 Dallas Cowboys (2)

1978 Pittsburgh Steelers (1)

1979 Pittsburgh Steelers (1)

1980 Oakland Raiders (2)

1981 San Francisco 49ers (1)

1982 Washington Redskins (1)

1983 Los Angeles Raiders (1)

1984 San Francisco 49ers (1)

1985 Chicago Bears (1)

1986 New York Giants (1)

1987 Washington Redskins (1)

1988 San Francisco 49ers (2)

1989 San Francisco 49ers (1)

1990 New York Giants (2)

1991 Washington Redskins (1)

1992 Dallas Cowboys (1)

1993 Dallas Cowboys (2)

1994 San Francisco 49ers (1)

1995 Dallas Cowboys (2)

1996 Green Bay Packers (2)

1997 Denver Broncos (2)

1998 Denver Broncos (2)

1999 St. Louis Rams (2)

2000 Baltimore Ravens (3)

2001 New England Patriots (2)

2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1)

2003 New England Patriots (1)

2004 New England Patriots (1)

2005 Pittsburgh Steelers (3)

2006 Indianapolis Colts (2)

2007 New York Giants (2)

Lindy Ruff always preaches to his team to bounce back and not allow another loss to follow a loss. He KNOWS what he is talking about because teams that drop multiple consecutive games are not championship-worthy (as evidenced by the statistics above).

Here's hoping the Bills can turn this thing around immediately. They'll need to in order to have any post-season success.

Only 2 previous Super Bowl champions ever lost 3 CONSECUTIVE games during the season --

Here's hoping the Bills can turn this thing around immediately. They'll need to in order to have any post-season success.

No offense, but what the crap are talking about?

The Giants are the Superbowl Champs and they haven't lost 3 games all year, let alone 3 in a row.

No offense, but what the crap are talking about?

The Giants are the Superbowl Champs and they haven't lost 3 games all year, let alone 3 in a row.

umm, what part of my post did you not understand? I merely said that of the past 42 Super Bowl champions, only 2 of them had lost 3 consecutive games at some point during the regular season (I am drawing an analogy to the current Buffalo Bills team that has now lost 3 consecutive games).

My point was that not many teams can lose 3 consecutive games and expect to be champs.

I really don't know what you are trying to say about the Giants. I think I was clear in my post.

We are pretty F-n far from OK right now, so talking about the SB is a pipedream. Let's beat the next 5 opponent's in a row, then we can start up the SB talk.

Again, I agree. Precisely why I made this post -- to illustrate that talk of SB is foolish and that only 2 teams in the past w/3 consecutive losses have won it all. The Bills may very well miss the playoffs completely if they don't pull their heads out of their collective a$$es, let alone make the SB.

umm, what part of my post did you not understand? I merely said that of the past 42 Super Bowl champions, only 2 of them had lost 3 consecutive games at some point during the regular season (I am drawing an analogy to the current Buffalo Bills team that has now lost 3 consecutive games).

My point was that not many teams can lose 3 consecutive games and expect to be champs.

I really don't know what you are trying to say about the Giants. I think I was clear in my post.

The part I didn't understand was where you're comparing a team that hasn't made the playoffs in nearly a decade to the Superbowl Champions. That seems a little much to me.

The part I didn't understand was where you're comparing a team that hasn't made the playoffs in nearly a decade to the Superbowl Champions. That seems a little much to me.

Ok, I shouldn't call it a comparison, but rather a guage of how far away the Bills really are from being a SB-caliber team. I agree with where you are coming from. However, there certainly was SB talk just a few short weeks ago when team was 4-0 & 5-1. How quickly that changed. My point really agrees with you -- that a team losing 3 consecutive games is generally not SB material (and 3 division games, at that!)

Ok, I shouldn't call it a comparison, but rather a guage of how far away the Bills really are from being a SB-caliber team. I agree with where you are coming from. However, there certainly was SB talk just a few short weeks ago when team was 4-0 & 5-1. How quickly that changed. My point really agrees with you -- that a team losing 3 consecutive games is generally not SB material (and 3 division games, at that!)

Gotcha. I can completely agree with that. Amazing what a reality check the last few weeks have been.