Observations re first half of the season

jahnyc

1. It is easy to forget that Trent is only a second year player who has played in less than 20 games so far in his career. By that standard, he has played very well at times. He seems to have the head for the game, although I hope he will start challenging defenses downfiled a bit more than he has.

2. For a seven million per year guy, Dockery has been a disappointment. I understand that the center situation is unsettled at best, but the offense should be able to sustain a drive in short yardage situations by going left behind Peters and Dockery.

3. The Bills rush defense is much improved, and I suspect that Stroud and Poz are a big part of that improvement. That said, it seems that Jenkins and Rogers have been more dominating to this point. Poz has played well, and he is also only a second year player who missed most of his first season, but I keep waiting for him to make some game changing plays.

4. I think Josh Reed and Greer are free agents after this year. Not sure if I am comfortable with Hardy and McKelvin as replacements at this point. We may be looking for a number two wide receiver again after this season.

5. We need a lot of help at LB this offseason (certainly one new starter). Ellison is having a very quiet season and seems to disappear during games.

6. I have not kept track of where the Bills' injuries are taking place, but is it possible that there are problems with our stadium and practice turf? I recall the Bills installed a type of turf that did not catch on and the company subsequently went into bankruptcy (field turf?). Do we still have that turf? Maybe it is the turf and not the conditioning program.

7. The last two losses have been very disappointing, but at least I can watch our offense this year and not be completely frustrated for the entire game. The play calling is better, Trent has improved, and overall, in terms of statistics, they are making progress.

1. It is easy to forget that Trent is only a second year player who has played in less than 20 games so far in his career. By that standard, he has played very well at times. He seems to have the head for the game, although I hope he will start challenging defenses downfiled a bit more than he has.

2. For a seven million per year guy, Dockery has been a disappointment. I understand that the center situation is unsettled at best, but the offense should be able to sustain a drive in short yardage situations by going left behind Peters and Dockery.

3. The Bills rush defense is much improved, and I suspect that Stroud and Poz are a big part of that improvement. That said, it seems that Jenkins and Rogers have been more dominating to this point. Poz has played well, and he is also only a second year player who missed most of his first season, but I keep waiting for him to make some game changing plays.

4. I think Josh Reed and Greer are free agents after this year. Not sure if I am comfortable with Hardy and McKelvin as replacements at this point. We may be looking for a number two wide receiver again after this season.

5. We need a lot of help at LB this offseason (certainly one new starter). Ellison is having a very quiet season and seems to disappear during games.

6. I have not kept track of where the Bills' injuries are taking place, but is it possible that there are problems with our stadium and practice turf? I recall the Bills installed a type of turf that did not catch on and the company subsequently went into bankruptcy (field turf?). Do we still have that turf? Maybe it is the turf and not the conditioning program.

7. The last two losses have been very disappointing, but at least I can watch our offense this year and not be completely frustrated for the entire game. The play calling is better, Trent has improved, and overall, in terms of statistics, they are making progress.

1. It is hard to remember, but part of this is due to the Bills having not made the playoffs in so long. Much of the animosity naturally goes toward the QB and HC when things aren't going well. But I like Trent's long term future and he is the future signal caller for the Bills.

2. Dockery's play leaves much to be desired. I'm not sure if it's a lack of mobility or just that the Bills employ a certain scheme, maybe even the predictability of running left behind he and Peters. But he's not playing anywhere near his pay.

3. Until the defense can play an all-around game against the pass and rush, it won't matter. Two years ago everyone talked about how great the pass defense was. Of course it was, primarily because teams didn't have to throw. Opponents averaged 140 rypg. The opposite is true this season.

4. Greer is a UFA after this season, with Reed being up after 2009. They should both be retained given their level of play.

5. Ellison is not, never was, and never will be a starting LB in the NFL. The front office made that known when they pursued Mitchell. His disappearances during games is the only thing noteworthy about him. I expect to see a legit SLB in the lineup next season, and we know it won't be Crowell.

A loss today will make it extremely hard to make the playoffs. If that's the case, several coaches, particularly defensive, need to go. No legit playoff contender goes 1-4 in the middle of the season.

i'm pretty sure josh reed was signed to an extension either last year or this year, which got our FO promptly ridiculed by pretty much everyone on here

I ridiculed the FO, but i have since asked for forgiveness. I like him a lot.

I hope we keep greer