Teachers: Keep political views to yourself

scribo

Outrageous

As a father of four, I do not think I am overreacting when I say this teacher should be removed from her position immediately.

The after-interview just tells me this woman is worthless. She knows full well what she did and sits there, refusing to acknowledge it.

The school should have never allowed her to wear the campaign button.

I think you are over reacting on your punishment. The teacher should view to tape with her superior and point out that she went too far criticizing McCain in the classroom.

I have seen and had worse done to me, especially in Math and English Class at this age, but for younger children such as these you may be right. She should have asked the children what they thought were the things they didn't like about the other candidate and not injected her two cents or especially making it personal by mentioning the child's dad in the conversation, that was wrong.

As far as the campaign button... that is pretty harmless, but as a Public Servant, she should probably not wear one in class.

I don't have a problem of teachers talking about their politics in class as long as it is their opinion. We did in middle school and were taught to work on our arguments and be prepared to defend them and we did often criticizing and picking apart our teacher's politics. However, she crossed the line when she made it personal and that was wrong.

At my public University my FRENCH TEACHER... attempted to start a lengthy discussion with us on how we should go out and vote...for Obama.

She was wearing Obama flair and she clearly had a nice little lecture planned when I told her to remove her flair and get back to teaching. She looked at me like I was being a pest and was like, "excuse me", and I simply reminded her that her thoughts were not that of the university, and that if she enjoys her job, she should stop. Much to my dismay, she bought that, and begin teaching French again, snickering at me.

Don't get me started with my Post-Civil War Executive History class, where I routinely have to refrain the teacher from his put-down of only Republican Presidents, or his outrageous praise of Democrats.

Good and that is as it should be. That is what civil discourse is, but if she had a spine, she should tell you to stfd and pay attention and then when it was your turn to speak, you could voice your opinion and give you a time limit. Nice brow beating though :D

Do you go to a private University? If not, she should start up the discussion in French. I would love be there to be your loyal opposition... Prendre une coulure (SP). :w00t:

Haha. I normally wouldn't have said anything actually, but I have like a 99 in the class because I took french in Middle school and High school and purposefully bombed the placement exam so I could just get an easy A.

It's my last semester at West Virginia University, a public school. I got in to much better, but I went there for the atmosphere (call me crazy, but wasn't I supposed to go to the school with the best tour? Man I got f*cked over on that one) and now I'll be at UB "starting over" this January. Much to my dismay, this University has been filled with nothing but ignorant students, and equally unimpressive professors. If any of your kids ever spark interest in going here, please do your best to lobby otherwise. I really wish mine had.

Outrageous

As a father of four, I do not think I am overreacting when I say this teacher should be removed from her position immediately.

The after-interview just tells me this woman is worthless. She knows full well what she did and sits there, refusing to acknowledge it.

The school should have never allowed her to wear the campaign button.

I agree that she shouldn't be wearing a campaign button from a moral perspective. However, the question of free speech comes and it's a slippery slope there. I think the Principal should be able to at least write her up for that.

If I were teaching that class I'd have written Obama's name on one side and McCains on the other and then, without asking who they support, start asking students what each candidate believes in for the direction of the country. As they answered I'd write down each response under each name and then once that was done I'd go through one issue from McCain and ask them how the President could accomplish that goal. Then I'd ask the same thing about Obama.

She was wrong. Absolutely, positively wrong.

However, would you like to debate varying degrees of "wrong?"

I agree with you the other was wrong and it is relevant in that teachers shouldn't be ramming their opinions about anything down their students throats.

A black school teacher, I am surpised , as Joe Biden says she is clean and well spoken. :D

Racistsayswhat.

My daughter's 1st grade teacher would not say who she is for... Even during a mock, in-class election... All she said is:

"I want nobody to have hurt feelings."

That is truly the path to objective learning...

;):thumbsup:

Exactly and the mock election should be done by secret ballot.

She should be fired immediately. This is outrageous. The little girls father is deployed and she's trying to scare her. Unreal!

I'll be interested in what the result of this is.

That's my biggest issue. She's basically telling the kid you'll never see your father again if McCain is elected. What a sack of :w00t: she is.

That is better than what I did. My kids were mostly pro-Obama. I said that I think both candidates are both great candidates, but I am voting for Obama. I was quick to correct my students who said that McCain was a horrible human being by pointing what he has done for the country.

I still think a teacher should remain objective.

It's bad enough (but in a subtle way) that I can't help but wonder if it is a plant.

Not that I don't believe that it haoppened a lot just like that - I just wonder who was shooting the footage.

It looked like some dutch documentary people.

Haha. I normally wouldn't have said anything actually, but I have like a 99 in the class because I took french in Middle school and High school and purposefully bombed the placement exam so I could just get an easy A.

It's my last semester at West Virginia University, a public school. I got in to much better, but I went there for the atmosphere (call me crazy, but wasn't I supposed to go to the school with the best tour? Man I got f*cked over on that one) and now I'll be at UB "starting over" this January. Much to my dismay, this University has been filled with nothing but ignorant students, and equally unimpressive professors. If any of your kids ever spark interest in going here, please do your best to lobby otherwise. I really wish mine had.

I could have told you that... I know a few folks that went there and transferred out when I lived in VA. They said it was all about Football and not much else. What is your major?

I could have told you that... I know a few folks that went there and transferred out when I lived in VA. They said it was all about Football and not much else. What is your major?

I've got a friend who graduated there with a degree in aerospace engineering. He's been trying to work his way up to going on the space shuttle. I haven't spoken to him in years so I wonder how he's doing.

It really is all football. That is a truly fair assessment. I'm enrolled in the journalism department here, but at UB I'll be a political science major. I've been studying for the LSATs for about three months now (lightly), and my goal right now is to just get through UB and hop into a nice Law School program. It's funny, I went to school as the number one party school in the nation, and it made me focus more on my future career rather than fall slowly into the sad depressing world of 5 night weekends and an eventual drop-out (an all-too popular option down here).

It really is all football. That is a truly fair assessment. I'm enrolled in the journalism department here, but at UB I'll be a political science major. I've been studying for the LSATs for about three months now (lightly), and my goal right now is to just get through UB and hop into a nice Law School program. It's funny, I went to school as the number one party school in the nation, and it made me focus more on my future career rather than fall slowly into the sad depressing world of 5 night weekends and an eventual drop-out (an all-too popular option down here).

Even if you are dedicated to law school, consider going to DC, to GTOWN, GW, Catholic or American and get an internship on the Hill. You can also do a semester at American through UB and intern on the Hill. They offer some sort of program with other Universities. It will give you an intense taste of DC and politics and expose you to a very good group of lawyers on either side of the aisle.

Even if you are dedicated to law school, consider going to DC, to GTOWN, GW, Catholic or American and get an internship on the Hill. You can also do a semester at American through UB and intern on the Hill. They offer some sort of program with other Universities. It will give you an intense taste of DC and politics and expose you to a very good group of lawyers on either side of the aisle.

Thanks for your advice. I have friends at GW. My dad is making me pay for college though, and expensive private schools are out of the question. I have a friend at American, and that sounds like a cool idea to do a semester there.

Thanks for your advice. I have friends at GW. My dad is making me pay for college though, and expensive private schools are out of the question. I have a friend at American, and that sounds like a cool idea to do a semester there.

I did too, worked my way through with tuition benefits, in the mail room, business office and then managing NIH grants, taught myself accounting. I couldn't afford it otherwise. I was Poly Sci, minor Econ and two classes short of a minor in Stat. Did my science reg with Astronomy, all physics, it was easy.

I did too, worked my way through with tuition benefits, in the mail room, business office and then managing NIH grants, taught myself accounting. I couldn't afford it otherwise. I was Poly Sci, minor Econ and two classes short of a minor in Stat. Did my science reg with Astronomy, all physics, it was easy.

Touchy feely weenie

Why didn't you something hard and major in science. :w00t: