Bruins Play By Play Guy

Dante

Alright, just a quick word. Watching the Leaf/Bruin game and the play by play guy on NESN may be the worst in the league right now and maybe one of the $h1ttiest ever. Tries to be so cute with his hockey "jargon" makes me want to puke.

Alright, just a quick word. Watching the Leaf/Bruin game and the play by play guy on NESN may be the worst in the league right now and maybe one of the $h1ttiest ever. Tries to be so cute with his hockey "jargon" makes me want to puke.

Is it Jack Edwards, formerly of ESPN2? He's frigging awful, and when he and his sidekick (Andy Brickley) get going it's like listening to a couple whiny schoolgirls complaining about how mean the other teams are to the Bruins.

Is it Jack Edwards, formerly of ESPN2? He's frigging awful, and when he and his sidekick (Andy Brickley) get going it's like listening to a couple whiny schoolgirls complaining about how mean the other teams are to the Bruins.

Rick Jennerate is surely a homer as well but he is the real deal. An original and entertaining as hell. This guy is just a fake. I remember the Bruins used to have solid announcers back in the 70s-80s. Bob Wilson was the guy who used to do the play by play on WBZ back then but he was really good and unique. He was a home town type announcer as well but respected the other teams and acknowledged them. I think either Fred Stanfield or Ed Westfall did the color.

Rick Jennerate is surely a homer as well but he is the real deal. An original and entertaining as hell. This guy is just a fake. I remember the Bruins used to have solid announcers back in the 70s-80s. Bob Wilson was the guy who used to do the play by play on WBZ back then but he was really good and unique. He was a home town type announcer as well but respected the other teams and acknowledged them. I think either Fred Stanfield or Ed Westfall did the color.

Hahaha, understatement of the century? I love RJ though, he is one of the most talented play by play guys I've ever listened to in any sport and he adds a whole other level of excitement to the game. I feel bad for the guy who has to replace him some day down the road.

Brickley is fine. He just gets dragged down by having to work with Edwards. He has to constantly cover Edwards' tracks thanks to all his idiotic comments. When he does color commentary on Vs games or college games, he's actually pretty good.

Brickley is fine. He just gets dragged down by having to work with Edwards. He has to constantly cover Edwards' tracks thanks to all his idiotic comments. When he does color commentary on Vs games or college games, he's actually pretty good.

Brickley is fine when he's on Vs and tones down his act to appear as the unbiased national color announcer/analyst. But when he's on NESN he acts like a complete jackass, and there's no way you can convince me that his crying and whining on NESN is simply the result of working with Edwards. I've heard too much of it to know better.

Brickley is fine when he's on Vs and tones down his act to appear as the unbiased national color announcer/analyst. But when he's on NESN he acts like a complete jackass, and there's no way you can convince me that his crying and whining on NESN is simply the result of working with Edwards. I've heard too much of it to know better.

But didn't you just say as much? He's solid without Edwards and horrible with him. You do the math.

But didn't you just say as much? He's solid without Edwards and horrible with him. You do the math.

No, that's not what I said. Maybe you missed this part:

there's no way you can convince me that his crying and whining on NESN is simply the result of working with Edwards.

To reiterate - he's solid on VS and crap on NESN. You're incorrectly assuming that I think he's only a jackass when he's paired with Edwards. While he is with Edwards most of the time, I have seen rare games he's called with another NESN PbP guy, and he acted like a jackass there.

And yet when he has done college games on NESN (without Edwards), he's fine. It's when you introduce the bias into the games that things are different. I don't know which games you've watched, but there are many times each season where Brickley has to correct one of Edwards' idiotic statements/complaints and you can hear that "Jack, you're a complete f'n idiot" tone in his voice. That right there is enough for me to give him a pass on working with that fool.

And yet when he has done college games on NESN (without Edwards), he's fine. It's when you introduce the bias into the games that things are different. I don't know which games you've watched, but there are many times each season where Brickley has to correct one of Edwards' idiotic statements/complaints and you can hear that "Jack, you're a complete f'n idiot" tone in his voice. That right there is enough for me to give him a pass on working with that fool.

Isn't that exactly what I said? He's a jackass when he covers his hometown team - letting his homerism and bias show - and not when he's on Versus.

I can't comment on his college analysis, because I don't see any of those games. But I find it tough to draw a parallel between college games and games involving the team he grew up watching and played for in the NHL.

Either way, thanks to the wonders of Center Ice I've seen plenty of Brickley-called NHL games on NESN. I've never had one nice thing to say about him after a NESN game. I particularly remember Brickley constantly whining about the Sabres and Briere in particular with regards to the "new NHL" and his "diving" - and this went on for the better part of two seasons.

I'm sure working with a jackass like Edwards might influence him, but I think Brickley is a jackass at heart, and on NESN he gets to let his true bias and douchbaggery shine through.

I can't comment on his college analysis, because I don't see any of those games. But I find it tough to draw a parallel between college games and games involving the team he grew up watching and played for in the NHL.

Except for the fact that Brickley played for UNH and occasionally has done color for their games and for games involving their big rivals in BC, BU, and Maine.

Except for the fact that Brickley played for UNH and occasionally has done color for their games and for games involving their big rivals in BC, BU, and Maine.

So he has bias sometimes and sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes when it's an NHL game and sometims when it's a college game. Except when he doesn't. Got it.

Again, haven't seen his NESN college games (and based on his Bruins work, have no desire to see any) but I stand by my earlier comment. Calling Bruins games on NESN = Brickley acts like a spoiled, whiny douche who thinks every time a Bruin is touched it should be a penalty, and is generally a chore to listen to, regardless of who his PbP guy is. Brickley on Vs. = more tolerable and objective, also independent of who his PbP guy is.