Could Be Worse. You Could Live In NYC.

While it said they will cut 1,000 cops, isn't that just a remainder of excess law enforcement left from the Giuliani 9/11 days?

"excess law enforcement"?

Are you kidding?

Yeah...lets take cops OFF the street...damn crime rate is TOO LOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How DARE people feel safe walking in NYC at night and going to Central Park!!!!!

"excess law enforcement"?

Are you kidding?

Yeah...lets take cops OFF the street...damn crime rate is TOO LOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How DARE people feel safe walking in NYC at night and going to Central Park!!!!!

Woah, pal. I never said I like crime or fckuing your mother or anything, why did you just jump off the ledge? I was questioning whether or not the stat of removing the 1k cops was skewed because of the amount we needed to preserve NYC after 911. I think it's a ridiculous cut, there just has to be more to it than, he cut 1,000 cops for the hell of it.

He doesn't have too much of a choice. NYC has already made 3 rounds of spending cuts and will make a few more.

NYC is disproportionaly geared towards finance. They say that every job in finance in the city, creates 4 additional jobs in the service sectors.

Given this article its going to be a bloodbath around here in 2009.

"There will be 1,000 fewer cops, but the city will hire 200 more traffic agents to give out $60 million a year in new block-the-box tickets."

Good, and add double/triple parkers to this as well, nothing infuriates me more.

Ditto. As far as I'm concerned, they can hire all the traffic agents they want. If I wasn't careful I would have been hit by a car at least 10 times in the past year in Manhattan (yes, in the crosswalks). Apparently drivers in the city don't understand the concept of stop signs.

Oh yeah, they can ticket all the a-holes on bicycles too. 99% of them don't seem to realize that the traffic laws also apply to them.

More oppression in the People's Republic of NY!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/07/nyregion/07bags.html?hp

Didn't we fight a Revolution to stop things like this? Or something like that, lol

In its struggle to make New York more green, the Bloomberg administration has tried discouraging people from using plastic bags. It has taken out ads beseeching residents to use cloth bags and set up recycling bins for plastic bags at supermarkets.

But now the carrots have been put away, and the stick is out: Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg has called for charging shoppers 6 cents for every plastic bag needed at the register.

If the proposal passes, New York City would follow the lead of many European countries and become one of the first places in the United States to assess a so-called plastic bag tax.

Didn't we fight a Revolution to stop things like this? Or something like that, lol

In this case it is probably not a bad thing... P.S. put some dollars into a company that makes cloth bags. Problem is they are probably made in China.

Local shopping place is selling 4 for $5. It works and after about 4 trips they pay for themselves at .6 a plastic bag!

Well, that's what you get when you give activist liberals unchecked power. :thumbsup:

Actually, considering the environmental impact and the sheer uselessness of those little plastic bags, I'd be fine with an outright ban on them. You're never going to get more than 2% of the people using reusable bags if you continue to provide the convenience of disposables.

Well, that's what you get when you give activist liberals unchecked power. :thumbsup:

Actually, considering the environmental impact and the sheer uselessness of those little plastic bags, I'd be fine with an outright ban on them. You're never going to get more than 2% of the people using reusable bags if you continue to provide the convenience of disposables.

I've started using cloth bags and they're great! I fit 4 half gallons of milk in one. Plus you get .05 off your bill for every one that you use at some stores.

EDIT: although the plastic bags are better for meat and stuff that tends to leak...

Just say no to the outright ban.

But businesses should do what Ikea does - charge $0.05 for each bag. Shoprite is nicer, they give $0.02 credit for each of your own bags.

Well, that's what you get when you give activist liberals unchecked power. ;)

I have a 3 dollar under-sink plastic trash can that has ears on it that allow for use of these bags for my wet garbage. I also use them to capture my metal can recyclables that I dump into my recycle bin (I pay 35 bucks per year for that recycling service).

I also use the bags to load up with shoveled-out soiled cat litter.

I keep them in my car to clean up trash and dump my ashtray into.

And if you are a youngster, partying at night, on the weekends, they are excellent vomit receptacles. :w00t:

Hey - it happens! :D

Well, that's what you get when you give activist liberals unchecked power. :w00t:

I use them to clean up after my dogs.