Strange hockey stat

They don't get a GWG added for a shootout win. I don't think they even keep track of game winning shoot out goals separately. It's tough to figure out exactly who would get the winner in some situations. Say one team scores on their first two and the other team is stuffed both times. Which of those guys would you give the GWG to? By regular standards its the first guy, but that second guy's goal is the one that ended the game.

I thought they did get a GWG for the shootout goal that ends the game, but I'll have to research that more later.

But they absolutely do track Game Deciding Goals in the shootout stats.

LINK

Right now the Rangers' Fredrik Sjostrom leads the league with two SO GDG. Last year is was Phil Kessel who led the league with 5, follwed by Hemsky, Shanahan and Sam Gagner, who had four apiece.

LINK 2 Listing of who was credited with the GDG in each SO.

I thought they did get a GWG for the shootout goal that ends the game, but I'll have to research that more later.

But they absolutely do track Game Deciding Goals in the shootout stats.

LINK

Right now the Rangers' Fredrik Sjostrom leads the league with two SO GDG. Last year is was Phil Kessel who led the league with 5, follwed by Hemsky, Shanahan and Sam Gagner, who had four apiece.

LINK 2 Listing of who was credited with the GDG in each SO.

I know I wasn't getting GWGs for my fantasy lineups over the last two seasons, so I'm pretty sure they don't count. It could end up creating the strange situation where a guy has 0 goals but 1 GWG. I'm sure they don't want any part of that.

I couldn't tell from your link. Any idea how they decide that GDG in the scenario I listed earlier? Based on the name, I'd guess that it goes to the final scorer.

I know I wasn't getting GWGs for my fantasy lineups over the last two seasons, so I'm pretty sure they don't count. It could end up creating the strange situation where a guy has 0 goals but 1 GWG. I'm sure they don't want any part of that.

I couldn't tell from your link. Any idea how they decide that GDG in the scenario I listed earlier? Based on the name, I'd guess that it goes to the final scorer.

I haven't found anything that explains it, but in your scenario I don't see any reason why they wouldn't give it to the guy who scores the first goal, which is the actual game-deciding goal. I think that best squares up with the scoring system -- after all, no matter how many goals are scored in the SO, the winning team gets one goal added to their total, which is the difference in the game.

EDIT: I looked at Buffalo's 2-1 SO win over MTL (last game listed on the second link) and that exact scenario happened. Kotalik and Stafford both scored in the SO, Miller stopped both Montreal shooters and Kotalik - who scored the first goal - was awarded the GDG.

Here's the Yahoo box score that shows the SO progression from that game (weird that Yahoo has that in their box score but NHL.com doesn't. Looks like the NHL.com box score does have the shootout, but when you're on the stats page, looking at the SO results, clicking on the link takes you to the NHL.com Game Summary and not the box score, and the Game Summary doesn't even acknowledge that there was a SO. A little inconsistent in that click-thru.)

EDIT: I looked at Buffalo's 2-1 SO win over MTL (last game listed on the second link) and that exact scenario happened. Kotalik and Stafford both scored in the SO, Miller stopped both Montreal shooters and Kotalik - who scored the first goal - was awarded the GDG.

Thanks. I couldn't remember the results of that shootout or the other one the Sabres won.