Strange hockey stat

Right now, the Eastern Conference as a whole has 34 overtime/shootout losses, while the Western Conference as a whole only has 16. If the East, points-wise, looks a lot stronger than the West, this is the reason why.

I hate the shoot outs. I liked it at first but it is ridicilous. There was like one team with a losing record in eastern conference last season. :rolleyes:

Right now, the Eastern Conference as a whole has 34 overtime/shootout losses, while the Western Conference as a whole only has 16. If the East, points-wise, looks a lot stronger than the West, this is the reason why.

The west is better because they play each other more. That is why they will end the season with less points overall than the East. The East gets to play more Eastern teams, thus more wins.

The shoot out was a nice novelity... But, the stats don't count... How can you win a game with stats that don't count? Well, I think the stats do not count...??

Just play an extra 20 going 4 on 4...

Leave all games to a maximum of 2 points total that can go into the standings.

The stats do count, they're just kept separately.

The stats do count, they're just kept separately.

Really... I never knew that.

Thanks!

So Ryan Miller has a separate GAA for shoot-outs?

Does a goal scorer in a SO get to add it to their goal total?... What point would that be, if they just kept it in a game-winning capacity?

The NHL is really screwed up.

Did you see the Blackhawk who left the bench to fight... He didn't deny it.

Colin Campbell basically said: "Thank Andrew Ladd for grabbing you back in... That is why you didn't get 10 games."

Come on NHL... They are wishy washy the way they apply everything... I like wacthing the games, I just can't take them seriously. I am in total mistrust mode when I watch games.

Really... I never knew that.

Thanks!

So Ryan Miller has a separate GAA for shoot-outs?

Does a goal scorer in a SO get to add it to their goal total?... What point would that be, if they just kept it in a game-winning capacity?

I don't think there is a separate GAA for shootouts, since GAA is measured by minutes played. They do keep shots faced and goals against, so you can calculate success rates and save percentages.

Shooters' goals do not count toward their regular goals-scored totals. I think the shooter who scores the GWG gets one GWG added to that total for his stats, but does not get one for his goals scored number.

I don't think there is a separate GAA for shootouts, since GAA is measured by minutes played. They do keep shots faced and goals against, so you can calculate success rates and save percentages.

Shooters' goals do not count toward their regular goals-scored totals. I think the shooter who scores the GWG gets one GWG added to that total for his stats, but does not get one for his goals scored number.

:thumbsup: My bad.

You see how screwy and convuluted [sp] it is?

True.

But, why can't the screwy and convoluted finally work for the starving Sabre fan! :thumbsup:

"I don't mind stealing bread from the mouth's of the decadent... I am going hungry..."

I'd actually argue that the rule changes post-lockout helped the Sabres more than most teams. The Ducks too. The changes benefitted smaller, faster teams and allowed for more of a "run and gun" style.

I'd actually argue that the rule changes post-lockout helped the Sabres more than most teams. The Ducks too. The changes benefitted smaller, faster teams and allowed for more of a "run and gun" style.

I do too! I really like the "new" game!

Then they started the same grab ass play as always... Yet, continue to call the game "new" on occasion. IMO, the league has very little control over the refs.

It really is a shame and a sham!

I do too! I really like the "new" game!

Then they started the same grab ass play as always... Yet, continue to call the game "new" on occasion. IMO, the league has very little control over the refs.

It really is a shame and a sham!

If it's the same game as it always was, how come there are so many more goals?

The "New NHL" is dead. The swing to the no-touch defense, while it benefited the Sabres' group of smaller finesse players more than anyone, was a joke. There is a line between cutting down on obstruction and making the league into a no-touch pond hockey joke. This swing back to the "old NHL" should be nothing more than the correction of that overreaction, although it would not surprise me to see the NHL go all the way back to the clutch-and-grab defense.

The Ducks, OTOH, were not as big a benficiary of the New NHL as the Sabres were. Anaheim actually had players who could grind it out, play nasty and physical, and actually played defense, not pond hockey.

They don't get a GWG added for a shootout win. I don't think they even keep track of game winning shoot out goals separately. It's tough to figure out exactly who would get the winner in some situations. Say one team scores on their first two and the other team is stuffed both times. Which of those guys would you give the GWG to? By regular standards its the first guy, but that second guy's goal is the one that ended the game.