Passed by a house last night on the way home...

I've actually left mine up for the past couple of years on the red/white trim tool shed. They're pretty small and clear, not the colored ones. Reasoning: It's pretty precarious to be putting them up and down (~20 foot cliff to the back, which you want to get lights on b/c it is visible from a different part of the house). I don't plug them in very often outside of the holidays (these are the only exterior Xmas lights I really go in for)... sometimes on summer nights, it's nice.

There is a difference b/w just having them up for practical purposes and lighting them up et al way out of season.

I've actually left mine up for the past couple of years on the red/white trim tool shed. They're pretty small and clear, not the colored ones. Reasoning: It's pretty precarious to be putting them up and down (~20 foot cliff to the back, which you want to get lights on b/c it is visible from a different part of the house). I don't plug them in very often outside of the holidays (these are the only exterior Xmas lights I really go in for)... sometimes on summer nights, it's nice.

There is a difference b/w just having them up for practical purposes and lighting them up et al way out of season.

White lights are ok for any season IMO. It's the multi colored lights that are strictly Christmas lights.