Schobel may miss rest of season

scribo

AP Reports...

Aaron Schobel, the Buffalo Bills’ top pass rusher, will miss at least another two weeks and could potentially be out for the rest of the season with a left foot injury.

If he goes on IR, I don't think the Bills can make the playoffs.

We need to Ellis to step up and earn some game time now!

The Bills will stand pat and NEXT YEAR that pass rush will be "awesome" with Stroud next to a healthy Schobel. Kelsay with another year of experience. Denney older. McCargo trying more than 10% of the time, blah, blah, blah....

How is it that the Giants lose Strahan to retirement and Umenyiora to injury in the preseason and they are still dominate(2nd in the league in sacks)? Either our DL talent is SEVERELY overrated and/or our defensive coaches are sub-par.

How is it that the Giants lose Strahan to retirement and Umenyiora to injury in the preseason and they are still dominate(2nd in the league in sacks)? Either our DL talent is SEVERELY overrated and/or our defensive coaches are sub-par.

Justin Tuck. And a GREAT defensive scheme almost every Sunday. Simple as that. The Giants defense makes offenses react to them, not vice versa like our soft zone with a 4-man rush 80% of the time.

The Bills will stand pat and NEXT YEAR that pass rush will be "awesome" with Stroud next to a healthy Schobel. Kelsay with another year of experience. Denney older. McCargo trying more than 10% of the time, blah, blah, blah....

The Giants do it with quality depth on the D line. We have no talent at the DE position. Schobel and Kelsay would be back-ups at best on the Giants.

easy the giants built around strahan as he aged. Strahan also managed to stay in tremendous shape, and even the speed he did lose over the years. Was negated by how physicaly dominate he was at times during his career. Schobel couldn't hold strahans jock. Strahan is the closest dend to bruce-reggie, but not quite at that level. They built around him him, and prepared for his eventual retirement, with osi, tuck, kiwanuka. Adding much needed versatility, and depth. Justin Tuck is going to be a great player in this league for many years. The guy is a nightmare matchup for ot's. His size/speed ratio is amazing. The guy simply goes all out, and is a money player. Fred Robbins is the guy in that dline rotation who gets no credit. He's been amazing since they brought him in in 04. 16.5 sacks the last 3 years. Throw in Jay alford as well. It's little coincidence. they can afford losing strahan and osi, when they're just loaded with talent.

There are certain people here who have thrown up numbers for bills dends in the past. Mostly I believe out of nothing then noble attempts to support players on the team, comparing them to the giants. It doesn't fly. Schobel is the only legit starting de we have. Stroud is the only legit dt we have. We have no depth at either dt or defensive end. No one who causes any kind of matchup situation. No one to throw out a 4 dend pass rush line. Running exotic blitz schemes, and line stunts. Quite simply we don't, and haven't had dline talent since 1998-1999. It's not a coaching issue. It's a personell issue.

There are certain people here who have thrown up numbers for bills dends in the past. Mostly I believe out of nothing then noble attempts to support players on the team, comparing them to the giants. It doesn't fly. Schobel is the only legit starting de we have. Stroud is the only legit dt we have. We have no depth at either dt or defensive end. No one who causes any kind of matchup situation. No one to throw out a 4 dend pass rush line. Running exotic blitz schemes, and line stunts. Quite simply we don't, and haven't had dline talent since 1998-1999. It's not a coaching issue. It's a personell issue.

Yeah, so you thinking CB in the draft?

easy the giants built around strahan as he aged. Strahan also managed to stay in tremendous shape, and even the speed he did lose over the years. Was negated by how physicaly dominate he was at times during his career. Schobel couldn't hold strahans jock. Strahan is the closest dend to bruce-reggie, but not quite at that level. They built around him him, and prepared for his eventual retirement, with osi, tuck, kiwanuka.

So while they were adding Tuck, Osi & Kiwanuka, we added McCargo, Kyle Williams, Kelsay & Ellis. Pretty clear where the problem lies, huh? :oops:

So while they were adding Tuck, Osi & Kiwanuka, we added McCargo, Kyle Williams, Kelsay & Ellis. Pretty clear where the problem lies, huh? :oops:

To an extent yeah, it falls on the scouting department. I thought McCargo would turn out better then he has. I was willing to overlook poor work ethic for the sake, of talent in flashes. Kyle Williams has been a better then advertised player, who's stuck in the wrong defensive system. He'd be great in more of a rotational role. A great #3 type dt. I'm holding out hope for ellis, as just a case of a guy slow to catch on. It happens to a lot of dends. sh-- even As much as I like Justin Tuck he didn't do anything till his 3rd year. So I won't harp on the guy as others have. Although I was hoping by now he'd at least, be on the field. I mean really. It doesn't speak well. When Copeland Bryan sees significant playing time. I know there's some money tied up in some of these players. I'd go after higher end prospects in the coming years. Keep doing it until you get it right. Is a more acceptable strategy of front 7 players. especially if we want those secondary players to look like they're worth a damn.

I think it is partially scouting and partially coaching. The Giants DC learned his tricks from Jimmy Johnson of the Eagles and is putting it to good use.

I think it is partially scouting and partially coaching. The Giants DC learned his tricks from Jimmy Johnson of the Eagles and is putting it to good use.

Spagnuolo took an underachieving defense from the first two weeks of last season (which allowed 80 points) and by the end of the season transformed it into the best defense in the NFL.

He adapted to what other teams did, which is in stark contrast to Jauron and Fewell's strategy of out-executing opponents. It didn't hurt that Ernie Accorsi and Jerry Reese set the HC, OC, and DC up for success by drafting a stellar class, combined with good drafts in previous years. This is a franchise that's drafted Umenyiora, Tuck, Kiwanuka, and Jay Alford on the DL the past few seasons, despite having Strahan.

I'd like someone to explain how the Giants defense is successful without burning top picks on DB's every season. They had the flexibility to take Kenny Phillips this year because their OL and DL are solid. Buffalo just throws money at the lines and still takes WRs and DB's. No wonder why teams like the Giants are solid and we flounder, although it helps to have good coaching.