Voter intimidation?

I can hardly wait! It sounds like a great time!

Dude, I agree with most of what you say but why are you giving him a hard time for wanting to organize a peaceful protest for something he believes in? That's a right guaranteed to him in the Constitution. If he wants to organize a march on Washington, I applaud him for the effort. I might even be tempted to join him if I had any money with which to travel. I don't personally think Obama is going to call for an immediate retraction of the troops, but if he did it'd be disastrous.

finknottle claims the numbers are 20-1. So, without even a link to the article we only have his word. But if the numbers are that skewed (and if he has this info then its either in the article or someone else gave it too him...because the names are in the public domain) it wouldn't take a genius to assume that the majority of the faculty not named in the list donated to Obama.

It is in today's Washington Times (hardcopy). I'm going by memory on the 20-1 figure, but in any event I believe it referred to the amount of the donations.

It is in today's Washington Times (hardcopy). I'm going by memory on the 20-1 figure, but in any event I believe it referred to the amount of the donations.

Well, lucky for you I can use the internet and Google News, because I found the original Yale article...listing several McCain and Obama supporters on the faculty who gave donations to the campaigns.

Dude, I agree with most of what you say but why are you giving him a hard time for wanting to organize a peaceful protest for something he believes in? That's a right guaranteed to him in the Constitution. If he wants to organize a march on Washington, I applaud him for the effort. I might even be tempted to join him if I had any money with which to travel. I don't personally think Obama is going to call for an immediate retraction of the troops, but if he did it'd be disastrous.

Thank you for your post. I also agree it would be disastrous but is unlikely to actually happen. Then again, this was a cornerstone of his campaign during the primaries, and he will have the full backing of the House and Senate.

If you are interested, it looks like we will have a bus leaving from Syracuse. It will return the same night. I will let you know more as we continue the planning.

Thank you for your post. I also agree it would be disastrous but is unlikely to actually happen. Then again, this was a cornerstone of his campaign during the primaries, and he will have the full backing of the House and Senate.

If you are interested, it looks like we will have a bus leaving from Syracuse. It will return the same night. I will let you know more as we continue the planning.

Hmm, well I'm in Ithaca so Syracuse is pretty close. No guarantees, but keep me informed if you wouldn't mind.

Donating to a campaign is a transparent process. People who donate know this. The information is out there for anyone to get if they want to. It's not intimidation.

So is publishing their home address, when they list it in the yellow pages.

What is your definition of intimidation? By your logic, it seems to revolve around whether or not laws are being broken, not on double-standards regarding harrassment. Great - if we take away the secret ballot and make votes a matter of public record, then voter intimidation will be a thing of the past!

*Now* I understand the Democrats position on Unions and the card-check legislation.

Btw, when are you going to address the hypothetical of including the home addresses of the donors? It raises another example: clinics that perform abortions are largely a matter of public record. How would you feel about a paper which ran a hostile article compiling the names and addresses of all such clinics in the community, together with the names and home addresses of the doctors it could find from public records? I'd be very very troubled about their agenda.

Well, lucky for you I can use the internet and Google News, because I found the original Yale article...listing several McCain and Obama supporters on the faculty who gave donations to the campaigns.

I too can use the internet, but couldn't find the original. The Washington Times article is only on a pay-per-view site as of 5 minutes ago.

While the Yale article is not inflammatory, it is clear that the McCain donors didn't want to be named

Of the five University faculty members, whom the FEC lists as McCain donors — School of Medicine professor Stephen Edberg, Law School professor Thomas Merrill, philosophy professor Sun-Joo Shin, School of Management professor Matthew Spiegel and Spanish professor Noel Valis — two declined to comment for this article and the other three did not respond to requests for interviews.

They only name two of the 79 Obama donors, and those two were willing to talk to the paper.