Great speech by McCain

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sincere and stopping his supporters from booing etc. It s a time to Unite!!! Hopefully many on the GOP and Americans will listen to what he said tonight and will truely work together

I agree. Very classy, unlike those people who booed. He is a great man who just happened to chose the wrong time to run for President.

Disagree. Horrible speech. It's time for the Republicans to give back what was given to them for the past 8 years. Rancor, disagreement, and hatred.

You mean how they gave back exactly what was given to them during the Clinton admin?

Yeah, this country needs more rancor and hate.

Long live the cycle of stupidity! :thumbdown:

I thought it was a good speech. I am sorry that John McCain had such a bad campaign. And I'm sorry for a man who, at age 72, now knows he's not going to realize his dream. I've said it once and I will say it again: I feared a McCain presidency for only two reasons: 1) his age and 2) Sarah Palin. John McCain gambled, and he lost.

I really felt McCain was sincere in his speech.

As I said before.....I could have lived with McCain as President....but his VP choice scares the living hell out of me.

Exactly how I felt. Supported McCain against Bush originally and the combination of Palin and his campaigns use of same tactics against Obama as Bush's advisers did to McCain turned me off and made the difference.

McCain and Obama used to get along quite well before campaign and I hope Obama offers a position in Cabinet to McCain. If McCain could go along with Bush's polices, many policies he disagreed with greatly, he could do same in Obama's cabinet as an inclusion / other voice secretary. Homeland security would be ideal for him.

McCain's problem was going right to get campaign support rather than center to gain more voters and unite country.

Oh and not all Republicans are as generous as some of us on this board are. One Coloradoian Republican calls Obama a Marxist and claims he will leave country if he wins. I will ask him if he is keeping his word.

Disagree. Horrible speech. It's time for the Republicans to give back what was given to them for the past 8 years. Rancor, disagreement, and hatred.

If you are in support of a group of Americans treating another group of Americans with rancor and hatred, then you sir are anti-American. McCain and Obama both said it tonight. We are not Democrats and we are not Republicans. We are Americans, and nothing can be accomplished without working together. The "We" in Obama's "Yes We Can" does not refer to the Democrat Party. It refers to all the citizens of our nation, and it seems like you are not on board with that.

I gained a TON of respect for McCain in his address, and if you are opposed to a speech where a man concedes defeat with honor and humility while expressing desire to join hands with all Americans for the betterment of our nation, then yes, you are Unamerican.

I hope Obama offers a position in Cabinet to McCain.

He should have done it tonight.

And when he wakes up tomorrow he should kick Pelosi to the curb.

And on Thursday he should mobilize his base to fight the rattling death throes of the current administration.

I really felt McCain was sincere in his speech.

As I said before.....I could have lived with McCain as President....but his VP choice scares the living hell out of me.

I have voted in the last 7 presidential elections. McCain, in 2004, was the only Republican I ever gave a moment's serious consideration as my candidate. What he did in this campaign, great concession speech aside, was horrendous. Like Hilary Clinton, I never believed he was as stupid as some of the things he was saying, in a desperate attempt to win the White House.

My respect for him diminished immensely during this campaign. He ran a cynical, inept, sh------- campaign.

I am glad as hell that Obama won, and I might have been able to stomach McCain...but the Palin selection, IMO, is where the McCain campaign officially "jumped the shark". Watching his speech tonight, I was reminded of the McCain I used to admire so much...and couldn't help but feel that he was, deep down, relieved that it was all over.

Rancor, disagreement and hatred (with a liberal dose of hypocrisy sprinkled in) are the very foundations that the current president won two elections with. It is the Rove doctorine. McCain tried it, because he had no other chance to win...to his credit, maybe, McCain just couldn't win that way.

If you are in support of a group of Americans treating another group of Americans with rancor and hatred, then you sir are anti-American. McCain and Obama both said it tonight. We are not Democrats and we are not Republicans. We are Americans, and nothing can be accomplished without working together. The "We" in Obama's "Yes We Can" does not refer to the Democrat Party. It refers to all the citizens of our nation, and it seems like you are not on board with that.

The "we" he's talking about is his army of sheeple, NOT the American populace.

I gained a TON of respect for McCain in his address, and if you are opposed to a speech where a man concedes defeat with honor and humility while expressing desire to join hands with all Americans for the betterment of our nation, then yes, you are Unamerican.

Whatever. I'm sure you felt Gore's whining about "stolen elections" or Kerry's less-than-gracious defeat speech were Un-american, then?

I have voted in the last 7 presidential elections. McCain, in 2004, was the only Republican I ever gave a moment's serious consideration as my candidate. What he did in this campaign, great concession speech aside, was horrendous. Like Hilary Clinton, I never believed he was as stupid as some of the things he was saying, in a desperate attempt to win the White House.

My respect for him diminished immensely during this campaign. He ran a cynical, inept, sh------- campaign.

I am glad as hell that Obama won, and I might have been able to stomach McCain...but the Palin selection, IMO, is where the McCain campaign officially "jumped the shark". Watching his speech tonight, I was reminded of the McCain I used to admire so much...and couldn't help but feel that he was, deep down, relieved that it was all over.

McCain erred in changing his style of openness. The Straight Talk Express shut down, and reporters' access was almost completely cut off starting just shortly after he got the nomination. He stopped explaining issues in much more than simple declarative sentences b/c that's what you have to do to attract that 25% base that puts you over the top. They don't want straight talk, they don't want explanations and if you appear too smart they won't vote for you. The fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants Palin choice went after exactly that crowd, and women, and it backfired. I still think that if JM had selected almost any other VP on the slate, it at least doesn't go this badly for him --- Ridge, Romney, Pawlenty, Rudy, Jindal, or hell, even someone like Chris Shays. McCain pandered, stepped away from what got him that far, and he lost.

I confess that I am a registered Republican. Have been since I turned 18. I voted 'None of the Above' this time, after I voted against Bush b/c there was just something I didn't like about him from the start and it played out. My party registration is up in the air, not liking what I see of what the big two have become. I'll probably continue to generally vote Republican in local and state elections. But for national elections, I don't know exactly when the Republicans turned into the Party of Stupid, but if they ever want to win again, they need to toss out the crazy Baptist ministers and start forming a cordon with a bouncer at Reagan's 'Big Tent.'