Rep. Chris Shays, R-Conn

From Salon's War Room:

Shays, last GOP congressman in New England, loses

Rep. Chris Shays, R-Conn., has lost his reelection battle; he was defeated by Democratic challenger Jim Himes.

In the scheme of things, a single House seat out of a total of 435 isn't that big of a deal. But Shays' loss is symbolic of something much larger. He was New England's last Republican member of the House of Representatives; with his loss, the GOP's map has just shrunk a bit more, pushing it further and further into its last remaining stronghold in the South.

That's my district and it's a terrible result. I am far more upset about this than any other result tonight.

Shays has been an excellent Representative; fiscally conservative, social liberal and strong supporter of the environment, one of the few remaining true moderates in the House who has always maintained an independent voting record. He has held the seat since the late, great Stew McKinney passed away in 1987 -- another moderate who was the first major US politician to die from AIDS.

He also ran a totally positive campaign, another near-extinct practice in our current system. His opponent did little other than run a million TV commercials taking a Shays quote about the economy out of context. In fact, I saw him just yesterday afternoon on the train platform at Grand Central, still talking to voters.

And who is the guy that beat him? A Greenwich millionaire who got rich.....ON WALL STREET. :doh: So much for the voters taking out their anger on the guys being blamed for creating this financial disaster, huh? Sad irony tonight in Fairfield County and sad for our Congress to lose one of the few remaining Reps who was something more than a party lackey. :D

That's my district and it's a terrible result. I am far more upset about this than any other result tonight.

Shays has been an excellent Representative; fiscally conservative, social liberal and strong supporter of the environment, one of the few remaining true moderates in the House who has always maintained an independent voting record. He has held the seat since the late, great Stew McKinney passed away in 1987 -- another moderate who was the first major US politician to die from AIDS.

He also ran a totally positive campaign, another near-extinct practice in our current system. His opponent did little other than run a million TV commercials taking a Shays quote about the economy out of context. In fact, I saw him just yesterday afternoon on the train platform at Grand Central, still talking to voters.

And who is the guy that beat him? A Greenwich millionaire who got rich.....ON WALL STREET. :thumbdown: So much for the voters taking out their anger on the guys being blamed for creating this financial disaster, huh? Sad irony tonight in Fairfield County and sad for our Congress to lose one of the few remaining Reps who was something more than a party lackey. :censored:

I voted for Shays when I lived there (14 years ago). I'm a strong D but thought Shays was a very good Congressman. Suffered for the sins of his party.

And who is the guy that beat him? A Greenwich millionaire who got rich.....ON WALL STREET. :thumbdown: So much for the voters taking out their anger on the guys being blamed for creating this financial disaster, huh? Sad irony tonight in Fairfield County and sad for our Congress to lose one of the few remaining Reps who was something more than a party lackey. :censored:

I know it ain't your fault, but you live in a fvcked up state brother.

The Republican Party from here on out is the Southeastern Non-College Educated White Evangelical Christian Party.

You are SO overreaching in your analysis. You actually think the the entire country changed that much in 4 years? With SO much going for Obama - he wins by 5% or so - and now the Republicans are just some marginal party? That's sharp analysis right there. :thumbdown:

My Rep, Steve Chabot -R, OH was defeated after 7 terms. A very fiscally responsible person. He started out in local politics many years ago...went door-to-door.

He would stay in DC during Congressional breaks, continuing to work. During previous races, the opposition would complain that he wouldn't vote for pork for his district. He voted against the bail-out boondoggle.

Every 3 weeks or so, he'd be on one of the morning radio shows, answering questions, expressing his positions, and taking calls from citizens.

This year, there was a negative tv ad onslaught. Some PAC out west - they continually mispronounced his name.

I'm saddened that he was defeated. A very decent, honest man.

Which, in itself is bizarre, as in the hours of Congressional hearings that I've watched about the financial crisis, Shayes was the ONLY guy who appeared to have a clue about the questions he was asking. The ONLY guy! Not only that, but he was interested in hearing an answer and not use up his allotted time for a political soliloquy.

The Republican Party from here on out is the Southeastern Non-College Educated White Evangelical Christian Party.

Is that right? How many of these first-time voters, who carried Obama to victory, are college educated?

The Republicans have some major work to do to avoid becoming just a regional party. Thats how severe the damage Bush and the crooked Congress did to the brand.

Whenever any party is in power too long, they get crushed by the oposition. Why? They both do a bad job. Reagan/Bush begat Clinton. Clinton begat Bush. Bush begat Obama. And on it goes.

You are SO overreaching in your analysis. You actually think the the entire country changed that much in 4 years? With SO much going for Obama - he wins by 5% or so - and now the Republicans are just some marginal party? That's sharp analysis right there. :blink:

We are not talking about Obama, but representation in Congress and the GOP now has none from New England in the House. It sure looks like a trend to me, not just this election but the 2006 one as well. The point is, the GOP must either moderate its message to be more inclusive or slink back to its southern stronghold and live there and only there. Sure, it will start to swing back somewhat, but with the changing demographics in the country it might only half-swing back.

This thread is a great example of what is wrong with Congress. Congress has a 9% approval rating, but it is the fault of everybody elses congressman, not mine. Mine is good, which is why we keep re-electing him.....for the record, mine is good, and I voted to re-elect him! :blink:

And who is the guy that beat him? A Greenwich millionaire who got rich.....ON WALL STREET. :unsure: So much for the voters taking out their anger on the guys being blamed for creating this financial disaster, huh? Sad irony tonight in Fairfield County and sad for our Congress to lose one of the few remaining Reps who was something more than a party lackey. :devil:

I agree... Shays is truly one of the nice guys on the Hill. My mom went to high school with Chris and his brother. I met him on the hill and he could not have been more gracious. He is my kind of Republican and you described him well. :blink:

And who is the guy that beat him? A Greenwich millionaire who got rich.....ON WALL STREET. :blink: So much for the voters taking out their anger on the guys being blamed for creating this financial disaster, huh? Sad irony tonight in Fairfield County and sad for our Congress to lose one of the few remaining Reps who was something more than a party lackey. :unsure:

I always liked Shays, too. I wasn't following the race at all, but he always seemed like a smart and reasonable guy.