NBC calls PA for Obama

Fox is in for a painful night. All day long (it was on in our work cafeteria), they ran stories about how the polls were wrong and McCain was going to win the battleground states. Dumbasses.

Really? I was watching them around 6 and they seemed to be cushening the flock for defeat. Four years ago they were real good on election night.

ABC called it too.

PA is going to be way way blue. Philadelphia will wash out any McCain support in an utter tidal wave of votes. (Sorry Lori.)

Dems have a 1.2 million-voter edge in registration here. The only chance McCain had in PA was to choose Tom Ridge as his VP (which probably would have meant me ditching the newspaper job to work on the campaign); once that didn't happen ... And since my vote was meaningless anyway, I didn't use it on the ticket that included Palin, who scares the crap out of me. If she's the future of the Republican Party, that future might not include me.

I did think Barletta had a shot to pick up a seat in Congress; looks like a three-point loss. Close, but no cigar. For now, I'll be content with Glenn Thompson's win for John Peterson's seat. And there are some interesting things happening down in the 75th district -- never thought I'd see Dan Surra lose his job in Democrat-heavy Elk County. In fact, the only three incumbents currently losing in the state House are all Dems, and there's a lot more red on the county-by-county map than I expected. Apparently, at least in this Commonwealth, Obama's coattails didn't provide much help.

And as I look at the overall numbers, a four-point win nationwide is obviously more of a mandate than Bush got either time, but still not exactly landslide territory. Given the residual anger at the Bush administration and the bewilderment over McCain's VP choice, this election should have been a slam-dunk for whoever the Dems nominated. Honestly? I'm surprised it finished this close.

Now, for all our sakes, I sincerely hope that Barack Obama justifies the faith that 54 million voters (at last report) placed in him today.

this election should have been a slam-dunk for whoever the Dems nominated. Honestly? I'm surprised it finished this close.

A brother named Hussein just ran for the White House.

I'm also surprised it finished this close. :thumbdown:

A brother named Hussein just ran for the White House.

I'm also surprised it finished this close. :thumbdown:

Despite John Murtha's worst fears -- and considering that Kerry's 2004 numbers outperformed Obama in southwestern PA, they may not have been all that irrational -- it seems that a significant majority of our countrymen chose not to vote against a Presidential candidate based on the color of his skin. Yay us.

The real challenge now will be keeping him safe from the Aryan Nation types ... and I think (hope, anyway) that all here can join in wishing the Secret Service good luck and Godspeed in that assignment.