Jerry Sullivan: Class of ’08 little help for the Bills

The big issue with this team is depth, and when injuries mount as they inevitably do, you've got to get production from the rookies. The Bills obviously don't trust their picks, and DJ will play them only when he's out of options. That's a mistake, and something I feel occurs because DJ knows this season he must make the playoffs. He's mitigating risk by not playing them, but stunting their long term growth. You could argue it's because he doesn't want them to fail and lose games, but that's life in the salary cap era.

Damn good point. There is no redshirt year in the NFL.

Let's not split hairs here. Those guys played solid football when called upon, particularly Boss and Bradshaw. It may not have been week 1, but they were ready, regardless of which round their name was called.

The big issue with this team is depth, and when injuries mount as they inevitably do, you've got to get production from the rookies. The Bills obviously don't trust their picks, and DJ will play them only when he's out of options. That's a mistake, and something I feel occurs because DJ knows this season he must make the playoffs. He's mitigating risk by not playing them, but stunting their long term growth. You could argue it's because he doesn't want them to fail and lose games, but that's life in the salary cap era.

It's not splitting hairs. The point is that they stepped up their games in the 2nd half of the season. They weren't immediate contributors. So let's wait a full season to judge our rookies. As rough as this strings of games have been, if the Bills right the ship and rookies are making solid contributions (Fine certainly looked really good), we won't remember this last 2 games.

What is baffles me is that we cant seem to get out of them what we know they do well......

McKelvin....this guy was crazy good in pre season as a kick off returner.....WTF happened? Something is beign done differently then when he was dynamic.

Hardy....nobody should be able to cover him on a jump ball situation in the back of the end zone.....yet how many times have we actually tried it this year?

You gotta feed them things they do well to get their confidence up.....

At corner, the Bills had a lot of question marks. Greer was a question mark in that he had started last season behind Webster and Butler and got on the field due to injury. Youboty gave all the signs of being an outright bust. James was just another Webster-like signing -- a journeyman that one doesn't really want to have to have play. Then, one notices Tom Brady, Randy Moss, and Wes Welker and realizes that in order to compete the Bills can't simply paper over a lack of talent with a "Tampa 2" scheme and moving Donte Whitner around.

The emergence of Youboty was not being counted upon on draft day; and, Greer, thankfully, didn't rest on his laurels and go into a huge tailspin this season either.

I know that doesn't explain why the "best CB in the entire draft" was buried on the depth chart and generally not looking like a top draft pick (I'm not really that down on him -- he's coming from Troy State so it's going to take time, which should've been part of the decision process BTW), nor does it mean the Bills are good enough that they can afford to whiff (or even just bunt their way to first) on top of the order draft picks.

Excellent post and a voice of reason. :doh:

Tee hee.....I liked this....

Yes, rookies take time to develop. Unless you’re one of the TV goofballs on draft day, you can’t judge a draft until two or three years down the line.....

followed by this.....

But this class has been a disappointment. We raved about Marv Levy’s two drafts, which produced instant starters on both sides of the ball. So it’s fair to say this group has been slow to develop.

Interpretation......

You can't judge a draft until two or three years down the line......but I'm gonna do it anyway. :doh: