Historical Game of the Week

KRC

Missed extra point??

Yup. Missed extra point on the first touchdown.

Do you know what the Bills road uni's looked like then. All white with the silver helmet?

I think that was it. I know the home uni's were pretty much an exact copy of the 1940s Bills uni's: Blue jersey's with silver helmet.

Thanks Ken!

You're welcome!! Next week's Historical GOTW will be a special one for me. Talking to the players who played in the 1948 AAFC Championship game has been a real treat.

Oh my...again I say the more things change the more they stay the same.

I figured they’d be shooting their linebackers through at us. The movies of our games showed the other teams had stopped our running game by doing it. So my plan was to run a couple of rollouts, then throw a screen pass once they began laying back.

So roll outs and screens can be effective offensive weapons?

The offense also had a good outing. For the first time, the Bills topped 100 yards rushing (108 yards).

Could we have a runner top 100 yards for the first time?

Thanks Ken, always enjoy these features!

Next week's Historical GOTW will be a special one for me. Talking to the players who played in the 1948 AAFC Championship game has been a real treat.

Is that the game played in Baltimore, when fans set the bleachers on fire and the ref sneaked out of town on the Bills team bus?

Is that the game played in Baltimore, when fans set the bleachers on fire and the ref sneaked out of town on the Bills team bus?

No. You are thinking of the game the previous week. Going into the last week of the season, the Bills were 7-6 and the Colts were 6-7. The Bills had to win in order to take the division. If the Colts won, then the two teams would need to play a playoff game to decide who would face the Browns in the championship game. The Colts won the final game and they headed for the playoff. The playoff game is where things went a little askew.

An excerpt from my book (keep in mind that no editing has been done, so the writing is not at its best):

At this point, things became a little strange. With about five minutes remaining in the game and in the midst of a Buffalo offensive drive, a Ratterman pass to Chet Mutryn was dropped by the halfback at midfield. Baltimore guard Dub Garrett fell on the ball, apparently recovering a fumble for Baltimore. Head Linesman Fay Vincent, father of former Major League Baseball Commissioner Fay Vincent, ruled that the pass was incomplete because Mutryn did not have possession and control of the ball. Baltimore obviously disagreed and argued that he had control and lost possession. The ball was given back to Buffalo and they continued the drive. After about a minute of play, Ratterman tossed the ball to end Alton Baldwin for a twenty-five yard touchdown and a 21-17 lead. The ruling by the head linesman gave the momentum to Buffalo and Baltimore struggled. Baltimore was desperate. With under three minutes to play, Tittle opened up an aerial assault in an attempt to move the Colts downfield. This would end quickly as fullback Ed Hirsch intercepted a Tittle pass on the Colt eighteen-yard line, returning it for the final score of the game. The Bills won 28-17 and would now face the Cleveland Browns for the 1948 AAFC Championship.

Baltimore racked up an impressive 394 yards of total offense in the game, compared to Buffalo’s 297 yards. With Buffalo only having five offensive plays in the third quarter, it would stand to reason that Baltimore would have taken the easy victory. It comes back to the referee call to give the ball back to Buffalo after an apparent fumble. Did Mutryn fumble or was it the correct call? Regardless of what happened on the field, the Baltimore fans were irate. With a 17-14 lead and Baltimore having possession of the ball, the fans felt that their team would have been able to run out the clock or score again to put the game out of reach. In their opinion, bad officiating cost their team the game and the fans stormed the officiating crew. According to one report, “Numerous Colts fans, angered over penalties that had nullified some long gains, stormed the field and attacked the officiating crew. The officials were pummeled and sideline judge Thomas Whelan suffered a black eye before police could disperse the crowd.” Police and players from both teams held off the crowd to protect the officials.

"According to one report, “Numerous Colts fans, angered over penalties that had nullified some long gains, stormed the field and attacked the officiating crew. The officials were pummeled and sideline judge Thomas Whelan suffered a black eye before police could disperse the crowd.” Police and players from both teams held off the crowd to protect the officials."

Today, fans and Cops would have to hold off players to protect officials.. :unsure:

Tittle? As in Yalburten Abraham??

I had the honor of meeting YA Tittle several years ago. I got his autograph on his HOF Card as well on a NY Giant team picture in Sam Huff's autobiography, Tough Stuff.

Yup. Yelberton Abraham Tittle started with the Colts (3 years), before going to the 49ers (10 years) and ending with the Giants (4 years).

No. You are thinking of the game the previous week. Going into the last week of the season, the Bills were 7-6 and the Colts were 6-7. The Bills had to win in order to take the division. If the Colts won, then the two teams would need to play a playoff game to decide who would face the Browns in the championship game. The Colts won the final game and they headed for the playoff. The playoff game is where things went a little askew.

Gee, a week off is not too bad since I was not born yet! :rolleyes: