I am not voting for McCain, but I have to respect him

Adam

The thing I respect the most about Obama is that he thumbed his nose at the black-power movement that has bogged down black politicians for years (the Jesse Jacksons of the world)--and still is getting the support of blacks.

That alone may turn the tide for black leadership away from the sham black leaders to real ones.

When was this?

He has politely marginalized them, and said some vague generalities about there being radicals on both sides who take things too far, but I don't remember him ever visibly 'thumbing his nose' at the movement ala Clinton and Sister Soulja. I mean, that's the knock on him - never confronting his his own party.

Did I miss it?

couldnt agree more. I think he will have to govern from the center if elected.

I'm hoping he ends up being Bill Clinton II on many, many issues. Leaving the snide sarcasm about Clinton aside, thats probably the best we can hope for (and it would be a good thing for the country).

I'm hoping he ends up being Bill Clinton II on many, many issues. Leaving the snide sarcasm about Clinton aside, thats probably the best we can hope for (and it would be a good thing for the country).

On domestic issues, he could certainly do worse.

On foreign policy...I'd hope he'd aspire to have a little more balls and common sense than Clinton.

On foreign policy...I'd hope he'd aspire to have a little more balls and common sense than Clinton.

Clinton set a high mark on domestic issues, so it would be easy for someone to not do as well as him. And on foreign policy he had the balls and sense to end the ethnic fighting in Kosovo by getting international support, and having a strategy that minimized the risk to our military while achieving success.

Clinton set a high mark on domestic issues, so it would be easy for someone to not do as well as him. And on foreign policy he had the balls and sense to end the ethnic fighting in Kosovo by getting international support, and having a strategy that minimized the risk to our military while achieving success.

If, by "had the balls and sense", you mean "was dragged kicking and screaming into it by NATO", then yes, you'd be correct.

And if, by "having a strategy that minimized the risk to our military while achieving success", you mean "are still there ten years later"...then yes, you'd be correct as well.

But truth be told, it was the high point of his foreign policy. That the high point of his foreign policy involved being dragged kicking and screaming into a long-term military deployment with no sensible strategy or purpose merely illustrates how execrable the rest of his foreign policy efforts actually were.

I was referring to domestic issues. Given that we are probably, in football terms, in the second quarter of our economic meltdown, I think domestic issues will of paramount importance.

When was this?

He has politely marginalized them, and said some vague generalities about there being radicals on both sides who take things too far, but I don't remember him ever visibly 'thumbing his nose' at the movement ala Clinton and Sister Soulja. I mean, that's the knock on him - never confronting his his own party.

Did I miss it?

Thumbing his nose is an analogy. It isn't to be taken literally. :thumbsup: