Lost my job today

Richmond_Bills

Contract work is the way most jobs are going these days. Taking a pay cut (at least at first) is not unusual.

If you think you will like it, it has growth potential, and there is a good chance to become full time - give it a try. Do NOT trust your recruiter. Get everything in writing. To a recruiter, you are just one more !@#$ing toaster to sell. :blink:

Go to the libray and get Guerilla Marketing for Job Hunters it is the bible of unemployed people who have imagination and consider finding a job their job! Good luck!

Rock

All - thanks so much for letting me cry in my beer a bit. It has been another interesting day. One of the recruiting firms has already called me back and asked me if I'd be interested in coming to work for them. Again - I have a background in accounting/finance, but have always had the urge to do sales. My only hesitation was that I didn't want to go to a job that was mainly commission. Well as it turns out, this potential opportunity has a base that is only about 15k less than what I was making before - with tons of commission potential. I have a meeting with some more folks at the firm tomorrow to get some more details.

One last thing - this "business development" position is to fill contract type positions. From what I have been told and through some research that I have done, more and more employers are going this route to save on a number of costs - benefits, severance, etc. And there is also no shortage of candidates to fill these roles.

So - what does everyone think? I know this will be totally different from what I have done before, but I really think this could be interesting. Tell me what I'm missing - I know it will be hard, but it can't be harder than closing the books at year end for a company that is in the crapper...thanks

All - thanks so much for letting me cry in my beer a bit. It has been another interesting day. One of the recruiting firms has already called me back and asked me if I'd be interested in coming to work for them. Again - I have a background in accounting/finance, but have always had the urge to do sales. My only hesitation was that I didn't want to go to a job that was mainly commission. Well as it turns out, this potential opportunity has a base that is only about 15k less than what I was making before - with tons of commission potential. I have a meeting with some more folks at the firm tomorrow to get some more details.

One last thing - this "business development" position is to fill contract type positions. From what I have been told and through some research that I have done, more and more employers are going this route to save on a number of costs - benefits, severance, etc. And there is also no shortage of candidates to fill these roles.

So - what does everyone think? I know this will be totally different from what I have done before, but I really think this could be interesting. Tell me what I'm missing - I know it will be hard, but it can't be harder than closing the books at year end for a company that is in the crapper...thanks

So I take it that you're not going to go the "male prostitute" route? :blink:

And another thing....

vistaprint.com has free business cards

I ordered a box listing myself as THB Quality Consultants

I have a company motto: Quality is the Product , Not the Goal. (yeah corny but so what?)

I use my home address.

I set up an e-mail account for THBenson instead of Rockpile :unsure: and auto forward all incoming mail.

I got a TracFone just for the business calls/business card.

My cell phone rings - it does not play Californication.

I went to a few trade shows and job fairs so I could practice how NOT to interview. :blink:

Since I AM on contract (going on 16 months) I can hand out the biz card (off site) and it is still true.

More:

I left early for the dentist and dressed real fine that day making sure a few managers saw me leave.

I got a Discover Business Card with some perks.

I go in a little early every day and stay a few minutes late.

Sometimes I finish a project in the early afternoon but wait until 5:30 to distribute it.

I sign up for every training class they offer to "contracts".

I volunteer for tasks at meetings - it gets mine name in corporate minutes and project folders.

I am embedding my expertise in their proproetary systems, so i am not justy a guy who knows MS office.

I am honest and treat everyone from the division manager (I am on first name basis with him) to the maintenance folks (always clean my own mess and move the trash basket to the entrance to the cube).

Is it a game - YES! But as I said I am honest and play fair - That makes it business!

If my boss says "this stays in this room" it does! (and I know I have been tested)

Translate this thought into whatever your spititual beliefs are: God never deals me cards I cannot play - but some of the hands might still suck!

My company suspended operations on September 26th, the day before my wedding. We were a start-up energy firm with a working capital credit line through Lehman Brothers. What really sucks is that the company itself was doing really well, but we could not control the government making an example out of Lehman.

Fortunately for me I have a background in commericial banking and received three offers from other comapnies rather quickly. Right now I am doing some consulting until I figure out my next move.

Good luck with your search.