Lost my job today

Richmond_Bills

An interesting day is coming to a close. I have never been fired, laid-off or dismissed for any reason from a job. I was a mid-level manager at a major Title Insurance underwriter and was one of almost 200 dismissed today. I could see it coming and have made a few contacts over the last couple of months, so hopefully this is just a bump in the road.

Not coming on here to whine - just wanted to commiserate with my Bills brothers. If any of you VA folks have any accounting/finance contacts I'd love it if you'd share. Thanks...

P.S. it did make me forget about yesterday's loss - so I guess that is one good thing that came out of this.

Sorry to hear that R-Bills. I've been there myself and it's no fun. I also had to lay off 10 people last week -- not fun on that side of the equation either.

PM me if you want to connect on LinkedIn. You never know where the right contact will come from.

I feel for you, but keep your chin up -- things will get better.

I was fired from my job last Halloween because my manager was an ass who wanted a "yes-man" who just agreed with everything he said. He was intimidated by the fact that I knew far more than he did (he even made a fool of himself in front of several directors and the CIO; he tried making me look like I didn't know what I was talking about, but before I got a chance to defend myself, the CIO ripped him apart and said he was completely wrong with what he was saying. Good times... Except I was fired about 4 hours after that... :( ).

Anyway, I felt like CRAP. But I contacted my former manager via email to let him know what happened, and his one-line email cheered me up a bit:

"I want you back!"

An hour later, I had an interview setup, met with him and discussed what he saw me doing for him this time around. A week later I had a verbal offer, and a week after that I had the official offer, and it was was roughly a 14% raise and an increase in title/responsibility!

Morale in the building started to really go down (I was well liked - and actually still have lunch every month with people from the company), and my manager was eventually "encouraged to leave." He was out the door about 9 months after me.

Like I said, these things have a way of working themselves out. You'll be fine - just keep your chin up! :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that. I know your plight though when I worked in restaurants I had many places fold up, go out of business or just cut positions to cut costs. I always looked at them as not a door closing but the opportunity to open several others. Good luck.

If things don't get better I'll probably be in the same boat by the new year. Maybe sooner. I've kind of reached a calmness about it. I'm going to take my unemployment relax for a month or two and regroup. Maybe it won't happen, but I'm preparing myself if it does.

If things don't get better I'll probably be in the same boat by the new year. Maybe sooner. I've kind of reached a calmness about it. I'm going to take my unemployment relax for a month or two and regroup. Maybe it won't happen, but I'm preparing myself if it does.

Same here...

Been waiting for the notice since I got a notice, then had it taken back, back in May.

dude, i can somewhat feel your pain. being a corporate hack at circuit city, i too am awaiting my fate....i feel safe, but who knows. rumors are that tomorrow or wednesday could be our turn now that the stores have been announced. Hang in there though, things tend to work out

An interesting day is coming to a close. I have never been fired, laid-off or dismissed for any reason from a job. I was a mid-level manager at a major Title Insurance underwriter and was one of almost 200 dismissed today. I could see it coming and have made a few contacts over the last couple of months, so hopefully this is just a bump in the road.

Not coming on here to whine - just wanted to commiserate with my Bills brothers. If any of you VA folks have any accounting/finance contacts I'd love it if you'd share. Thanks...

P.S. it did make me forget about yesterday's loss - so I guess that is one good thing that came out of this.

Hey Richmond...good luck with your situation.--One thing I can recommend--keep that good non-whiny attitude that you have and avoid THE NEWS--because they traffic in bad news. Do those things and you will get something good soon.

R-Bills - keep the positive attitude. I've gone through 2 of these and they are learning experiences. As work revolves around daily accomplishments, try to set up the same thought process now. Get the resume / contact list in order, write down all the companies in your area that have some sort of financial services. Spend some time volunteering to your favorite charity. Clean the garage. You get the idea.

If you are looking for some "beer money" check around with your neighbors and see if they have any odd jobs that they have been putting off. I made over $3500 in 2 months doing just that.

Good luck.

I went through a large plant shutdown 3 years ago after working there for 21 years, and my current company is having a slowdown and at the point of asking for voluntary layoffs, so I know what you're going through. You'll go through the range of emotions from anger to self doubt, and may have to swallow your pride and take jobs you're overqualified for (if they'll give you the chance) for alot less money that you're used to until the right job or at least a job related to your experience comes along. I'm a salaried employee and have an M.B.A., and spent a year working as a landscaper for a friend's business until I could find another I.T. job. To be honest, I preferred doing the physical landscaping work, but it wasn't steady work and had no benefits.

Dude...best of luck to you in getting back in the saddle. I work for that big insurance company that everyone loves so much these days, and I'm not sitting here all that comfortably myself (and no...Duey did not go on the spa or fox hunting outings!). :(

Hang in there...better days lie ahead. :thumbsup:

I went through this in January 2007, so I know how you feel.

I was only out of work from mid-January to April, but I am still on a freaking contract. Face it, it is a smart decision by the company because they save money. I do believe they will hire me in April 2009 (NYS law - two year contracts only). I think if the economy was better, I would not still be a temp now. :thumbsup:

I will be dropping lots of resumes all over, giving them my boss's name and phne number so SHE knows what I am doing. Time to be proactive.

LINK: March 2007

Here is an excerpt:

Well.....

I have been very busy since January 15th:

created a resume

revised it 25 times

sent it to friends to rip it apart and return with friendly advice

revised it 25 more times

created a web page

never felt sorry for myself

attended one job fair

signed up with three recruiters

tried to keep a positive attitude (sometimes wore an eminence front)

read everything I could get my hands on (looking for work has changed a bit since 1980)

networked

blogged

kept the negative vibes at bay

signed up for unemployment

practiced living on an austerity budget

got one interview with a globally recognized corporation

got called back for a second interview

asked the right questions

gave the right answers

left the interview knowing if it was right they would call

they did

received an offer today

accepted the offer verbally pending documentation

took a reasonable pay cut (I was WAY overpaid at the old job)

On April 9th, I start my career over.

It is exciting.

I am a professional again.

I am scared shitless!

(drum roll please)

Rockpile: Quality Systems Engineer

for "a diversified technology company that concentrates its efforts on high-impact growth opportunities"

All - thanks so much for letting me cry in my beer a bit. It has been another interesting day. One of the recruiting firms has already called me back and asked me if I'd be interested in coming to work for them. Again - I have a background in accounting/finance, but have always had the urge to do sales. My only hesitation was that I didn't want to go to a job that was mainly commission. Well as it turns out, this potential opportunity has a base that is only about 15k less than what I was making before - with tons of commission potential. I have a meeting with some more folks at the firm tomorrow to get some more details.

One last thing - this "business development" position is to fill contract type positions. From what I have been told and through some research that I have done, more and more employers are going this route to save on a number of costs - benefits, severance, etc. And there is also no shortage of candidates to fill these roles.

So - what does everyone think? I know this will be totally different from what I have done before, but I really think this could be interesting. Tell me what I'm missing - I know it will be hard, but it can't be harder than closing the books at year end for a company that is in the crapper...thanks

All - thanks so much for letting me cry in my beer a bit. It has been another interesting day. One of the recruiting firms has already called me back and asked me if I'd be interested in coming to work for them. Again - I have a background in accounting/finance, but have always had the urge to do sales. My only hesitation was that I didn't want to go to a job that was mainly commission. Well as it turns out, this potential opportunity has a base that is only about 15k less than what I was making before - with tons of commission potential. I have a meeting with some more folks at the firm tomorrow to get some more details.

One last thing - this "business development" position is to fill contract type positions. From what I have been told and through some research that I have done, more and more employers are going this route to save on a number of costs - benefits, severance, etc. And there is also no shortage of candidates to fill these roles.

So - what does everyone think? I know this will be totally different from what I have done before, but I really think this could be interesting. Tell me what I'm missing - I know it will be hard, but it can't be harder than closing the books at year end for a company that is in the crapper...thanks

Rough time to be in recruiting/placement, but I'd say you should strongly consider it for a few reasons:

1) Passing up any reasonable job now is probably now a good idea.

2) Eventually the economy will turn around and if you've used that time to build your skills and contacts in the recruiting process, you could be setting yourself up for significant career and financial upside.

3) You are right about contractors in the current environment, although eventually you'll probably want to move over to permanent placement (and that's probably a standard career path in search).

4) Someday you might have a great CFO job for me! :doh:

Most of the accounting/finance recruiters I know came from the industry (rather than sales), so I think it's a natural progression if that kind of work fits with your personality. Keep up posted.

Went thru two plant closings in less than 3 years. The last one came after I relocated for the job. I've been very lucky to have bettered myself with each new position. I took a job as a Manager for a food manufacture where business has doubled since I've been there.

Hang in there and I hope if your married that your wife is very supportive.

So who else has lost their job ? Can someone setup a poll ?

I lost my job on July 16th. No notice . . . just warnings . . . They put up a sign for a company wide meeting after work, a week in advance.

Not a word about the topic of the meeting . . . I think everyone knew what was going to happen. I was one of 60 employees let go. They took us to the break room and said "there's no easy way to do this . . . "

Reading all this crap makes me wish 30 years ago I got a state or federal job. All the security in the world, raises, pensions, benefits, and no one cares what kind of performance you do

My brother-in-law started with the county when he was 18 and turns 50 this year. He has done quite well, and has WORKED for everything he has received. He can retire whenever he wants, has a nice nice pension lined up, and will work for himself for as long as he wants.

He really has earned it though. :blink: