hey computer experts....need your input

The Poojer

my laptop harddrive crashed a few weeks ago, i replaced the harddrive and thanx to dean, the laptop is running well. the hard drive may be salvageable...or at least useable. a friend told me to get a Serial ATA hard drive enclosure and try to create an external harddrive...blah blah blah.....i got a free ATA enclosure....what is the difference between the 2, is it only transfer speed?

:huh:

my laptop harddrive crashed a few weeks ago, i replaced the harddrive and thanx to dean, the laptop is running well. the hard drive may be salvageable...or at least useable. a friend told me to get a Serial ATA hard drive enclosure and try to create an external harddrive...blah blah blah.....i got a free ATA enclosure....what is the difference between the 2, is it only transfer speed?

SATA refers to the bus arhitecture - how the data is transferred between the drive and the motherboard. You can use the SATA enclosure if you have a SATA drive and the motherboard will accept SATA (i.e. - it has a SATA port) - if it doesn't the enclosure you have won't do you any good.