If you can't beat 'em

I wasnt "defending" boomer as much as I was pointing out the idiocy of both sides of this half-assed debate and my abhoration of how race is used in politics and often social issues. And that doesnt make one a racist, either.

But nice try.

Nice try? Because you just said your defending him but not as much as your other point. You admit you were defending him but not as much as something else. Where was I wrong?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice try? Because you just said your defending him but not as much as your other point. You admit you were defending him but not as much as something else. Where was I wrong?

Youre wrong by casting judgement and throwing around a dangerous label not because you know whats in someone's heart, but because they threw out a quick anectode on an off topic forum on a football message board.

They're machines that were made in the 1950's and are still going strong. You walk in and pull a lever that closes the curtain. There are rows of candidates divided on lines by party. Each person has a little red lever under their name. By pulling the lever down you register your vote for that person. You can always change it if you make a mistake and when you pull the lever to open the curtain your vote has been registered.

I don't know this for sure but at the end of voting the seal on the back of the machine is broken and the back is opened up. Then county representatives write down the numbers for each candidate and close and seal the back of the machine again. They are not reset until the election results are certified.

I remember those things from when my folks used to vote in Buffalo, they would let kids into the voting booth with their parents back then. I thought the argument against those things is that they allowed you to just click one switch and vote for an entire slate of Candidates.??? I agree, they appeared bullet proof. I think the ballot stuffing came afterwards and you could not track a vote with a registration for confirmation purposes.

Interesting idea though.

They're machines that were made in the 1950's and are still going strong. You walk in and pull a lever that closes the curtain. There are rows of candidates divided on lines by party. Each person has a little red lever under their name. By pulling the lever down you register your vote for that person. You can always change it if you make a mistake and when you pull the lever to open the curtain your vote has been registered.

This is the only type of machine I have ever used for voting; it always worked fine and was simple enough that even a Florida Democrat could understand it.

However, I understand that we'll have some new optic scan system in place tomorrow.

This is the only type of machine I have ever used for voting; it always worked fine and was simple enough that even a Florida Democrat could understand it.

However, I understand that we'll have some new optic scan system in place tomorrow.

In NY that was the only way i voted. Down here in florida, it changes depending on where you vote. In Tallahassee, you wait in line, then get a bubble form and take it to a little booth type thingy. You fill it out, then go wait in line to turn it in to the desk where they run it through their scanner/reader, and you get your little voting receipt.

I remember those things from when my folks used to vote in Buffalo, they would let kids into the voting booth with their parents back then. I thought the argument against those things is that they allowed you to just click one switch and vote for an entire slate of Candidates.??? I agree, they appeared bullet proof. I think the ballot stuffing came afterwards and you could not track a vote with a registration for confirmation purposes.

Interesting idea though.

I don't think one switch allows a slew of candidates, if it's available then I haven't seen it.

As far as tracking goes they make you sign a book that has a copy of your signature on it and there is a quick glance to see if they match.

I hear all about these long lines and terrible experiences in other parts of the Country...but I live in one of the most populated townships in the Nation, using those old 50's style curtain and lever machines and far as I can tell, there is NEVER an issue. 30 minute wait, AT WORST. In and out....see ya!

WTF is going on where there is up to eight hours of waiting and all kinds of issues???!!!???

I hear all about these long lines and terrible experiences in other parts of the Country...but I live in one of the most populated townships in the Nation, using those old 50's style curtain and lever machines and far as I can tell, there is NEVER an issue. 30 minute wait, AT WORST. In and out....see ya!

WTF is going on where there is up to eight hours of waiting and all kinds of issues???!!!???

The electronic touch machines "break down." Then "experts" come to "re-calibrate" them.

People wait for available machines. That's why the ACLU sued in Pennsylvania to make paper ballots available if half of the touch machines broke down. Prior to that EVERY machine had to break down to warrant the use of paper. Under that scenario, hundreds of people would wait to use just one machine.

I voted early in Chicago and still had to wait an hour. 500,000 people voted early here in Cook County. Tuesday is going to be a total klusterphuk.

The electronic touch machines "break down." Then "experts" come to "re-calibrate" them.

People wait for available machines. That's why the ACLU sued in Pennsylvania to make paper ballots available if half of the touch machines broke down. Prior to that EVERY machine had to break down to warrant the use of paper. Under that scenario, hundreds of people would wait to use just one machine.

I voted early and voted often in Chicago and still had to wait an hour. 500,000 people voted early here in Cook County. Tuesday is going to be a total klusterphuk.

Dude???? :huh:

Hell, I defended molson once. Doesn't make me a retard.

On the surface, it would. But he might have accidentally said something remotely tolerable, which you felt you had to defend. So any reasonable thinking person might just assume you were indeed a retard for defending molson once. I mean, what else could one think? But if they looked deeper into the actual instance, they may ultimately conclude that it was an outlier, and you were, indeed, not a retard.

Hmmm... When did disabled folks lose the right to vote?

They didn't. Neither did homeless people. And yet, when Pat Robertson bussed the homeless to the polls in groups for the primaries, it was considered shady. Really...aiding a group in exercising their right to vote is fine with me, right up to the point where it becomes "We'll help you vote if your vote is for us."

(Note, though, that I neither know nor care if RkFast is right or not. But I don't doubt it's done at the local level, I don't doubt it's not a matter of national party policy, and I don't doubt that both parties do it.)