Bledsoe vs. Matthews

Dude... Matthews was never 4th string.  He wasn't brought in until Travis Brown got injured.  The Bills went into the last preseason game with Bledsoe, Matthews and Zolman.

When the dust settled, the Bills kept 3 QBs on their roster...

1) Bledsoe

2) Matthews

3) Losman

Our top 3 QBs were Bledsoe, Brown, Losman. Without even considering Zolman, Mathews was the 4th choice on the list. If you want to count Zolman, then Mathews can be considered 5th string I suppose. But the fact of the matter is, Buffalo had three quarterbacks that they liked more than Mathews. That puts Matthews at 4th string in my opinion, even if he was never officially 4th string on the depth chart due to cutting Brown.

Regardless, as others have said, putting Mathews in does *nothing* for the team, and could actually hurt the team in the future because they'd be running a more limited playbook, thus potentially stunting Losman's learning. If we gain nothing by putting Mathews in, and possibly lose something by putting him in, why bother? Wait until JPL is healthy and if the Bills are out of the hunt, then put him in.

CW

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Play Matthews.

If he sucks worse than Drew, put Drew back in.

If he plays better than Drew, keep him in until JP is ready.

It's so f'n obvious, <_<

JUST DO IT!!!

84474[/snapback]

I agree...

And maybe we can find out a little more about the Bills OL with a QB change, that is just as important.

I don't care who the QB is as long as we win. We are not winning. Mathison , Ferragamo, Dufek or that new kid from Maryland Frank Reich- I don't care. Maybe the USFL will fold and we'll get Jim Kelly. Wait, this isn't 1985. Feels like it though. At least in 1985 we drafted Bruce Smith and Andre Reed and had Kelly on the way.

Uh...you realize matthews is our #2, and has been all season, right? Brown is now on indianapolis (i think.., but he is not here).

Yes, I know -- but as I keep saying ad nauseum, Buffalo had Bledsoe, Brown and Losman who were all higher on the depth chart than Mathews. Then, because of injureis to Brown and Losman, Mathews was signed late in preseason. Therefore, Mathews is the 4th best QB the Bills have had on their roster this year.

I know that Brown isn't there now, but he was until he got hurt and Mathews was rated behind him (because he wasn't on the team).

CW

Right...let's not mess with the "team chemistry"...let's just lose with Drew until JP is ready.

PTR

84478[/snapback]

How good do you think Matthews will make this team, really? I have no problem benching Bledsoe. I just think we get more of the same with Matthews.

Point is, it dosen't matter with these two guys, both of them are stand-ins until Losman is ready. Hopefully the team will win some games until then, but probably not enough to jump back into the playoff race.

Except that the entire NFL passed on Mathews.  If you're going to complain about Buffalo's management not knowing what they're doing and that's why Matthews was 4th on the depth chart, then you have to say that every team in the NFL has crappy scouting since he was out of the league until late in training camp (and after the injuries to our 2nd and 3rd stringers).

CW

84490[/snapback]

So if I follow you, the Bills were the only sucker that bit? I guess that goes to management.<_<

Buy that coconut oil! :lol: BTW My local Bed 'n Bath sells the Whirley-Pop movie popcorn for a buck fifty-eight.

So if I follow you, the Bills were the only sucker that bit? I guess that goes to management.<_<

Buy that coconut oil! :lol:  BTW My local Bed 'n Bath sells the Whirley-Pop movie popcorn for a buck fifty-eight.

84534[/snapback]

I suppose you can look at it that way too... If you're a "glass half empty" kinda guy. :lol:

Much better popcorn deal here:

http://www.popcornpoppers.com/43624.html

I had some over the weekend and remembered your nutritional stats. Thanks a lot for ruining it for me :lol:

CW

How good do you think Matthews will make this team, really?  I have no problem benching Bledsoe.  I just think we get more of the same with Matthews.

84533[/snapback]

That's what you "THINK". That's what I think, that's what everyone thinks. But we KNOW 100% that our offense stinks with Bledsoe. In this case, the devil you don't know is better than the one you don't.

Really, I don't get why this is so difficult.

I had some over the weekend and remembered your nutritional stats.  Thanks a lot for ruining it for me :lol:

CW

84556[/snapback]

I ruined myself first! :lol:

I've been looking for authentic show popcorn for a decade, finally find it (thanks to you) - it is delicious, but with my 200 cholesterol, I shouldn't have it after my first five enjoyments But I am sure I shall cheat.

O the humanity! <_<

That's what you "THINK".  That's what I think, that's what everyone thinks.  But we KNOW 100% that our offense stinks with Bledsoe.  In this case, the devil you don't know is better than the one you don't. 

Really, I don't get why this is so difficult.

84581[/snapback]

It's not difficult, it's irrelevant. I don't care who the QB is, Matthews or Bledsoe, it doesn't matter. They're both equally inept.

I'd love to see either of these guys rip off six wins. Problem is, we know neither is capable of doing it. This isn't a Flutie/Johnson debate, it's a Johnson/Johnson debate.

Losman will end this season and start next season as QB.

Ummm...Brown was cut, Losman was hurt and the next quarterback on the list was BF in Indiana.

Putting in Matthews is wrong and will do NOTHING to improve our situation because he has had limited time under center. Attach JP to Bledsoe and Wyche, and when we're completely out of it and Losman is fully healed...put him in and get him going. He could theoretically have seven or eight games under his belt this year before he gets going next year.

84448[/snapback]

Exactly right in my book!

That's a complete falsehood. Facts refute that. If Donahoe was worried about that, he would never have Drafted McGahee. He would never have cut Shaw. He never would have let Gash go. Hell, he never would have drafted JP, for God's sake! He never would have fired Williams.

Facts refute what you think.

84407[/snapback]

How many elite coaches/GM's would have stuck a QB playing at this level over the last 32 games?

That's a complete falsehood. Facts refute that. If Donahoe was worried about that, he would never have Drafted McGahee. He would never have cut Shaw. He never would have let Gash go. Hell, he never would have drafted JP, for God's sake! He never would have fired Williams.

Facts refute what you think.

84407[/snapback]

How many elite coaches/GM's would have stuck with a QB playing at this level over the last 32 games?

How many elite coaches/GM's would have stuck with a QB playing at this level over the last 32 games?

84632[/snapback]

Umm, who was on the bench behind him to replace him? Van Pelt? Ummm, no.

Apparently, Donahoe KNEW there was a chance that drew wouldn't bounce back from last year, and therefore decided he needed a new QB. Quite shrewd if you ask me. Also quite shrewd to realize that if Bledsoe didn't do well this year, we'd be shot anyway so why not pick up a 1st rounder?

It's quite easy to generalize after a bad game. Drew has played well on occasion. So to generalize uselessly about "not playing well over the last 32 games" is an exaggeration. Some might call it a falsehood. Others might call it a lie. Anyway, you again use a falsehood to support your point. If the "facts" that you base your opinions on are wrong, there's a good chance your opinions are as well.

Guest Guest_firewall_*

I like Drew and still think he can play some but if Matthews can do a better job of taking care of the ball he should start, the Bills held the Ravens to 1 st down in the 2nd half and we lost....this is unacceptable.

Apparently, Donahoe KNEW there was a chance that drew wouldn't bounce back from last year, and therefore decided he needed a new QB. Quite shrewd if you ask me.

84989[/snapback]

Considering JP still needed some work, it was absolutely boneheaded to not have a viable back-up ready in case Drew tanked. Travis Brown :angry:

It is good to see I was not the only one that was hoping Mathews would start the second half......

I KNOW that Mathews sucks.....but I want to see if the rest of this team is really that bad or if the chunk of the problem really is Bledsoe.....

It is good to see I was not the only one that was hoping Mathews would start the second half......

I KNOW that Mathews sucks.....but I want to see if the rest of this team is really that bad or if the chunk of the problem really is Bledsoe.....

85039[/snapback]

Ok, let me play Devil's Advocate for a second. What happens if Mathews comes in and sucks. Does that mean we should keep Drew because it IS the fault of the OL/WRs/RBs/coaching/etc?

Or what if JPL comes in and we have the exact same results? Do we keep Bledsoe or call JPL a bust?

Just curious.

CW

Drew is done after this year because of cap reasons....among other things.....

What I am actually afraid of is a journeyman QB like Shane Mathews comes into the game and we put up 3 touchdowns....WHEN WAS THE LAST FRICKEN TIME THAT HAPPENED.......

I will be happy we win and poochkicking my cat because we could still be in THIS season......

Well....its my daughters cat so maybe not....but you get the drift