My First Half Review of the Bills

Virgil

I'm gonna break it down by pieces of the team. Once again, just my meaningless opinion which I like to get other's opinions on.

Quarterback - Trent has definitely established himself the better QB between himself and JP. Through the first quarter of the season, his name was mentioned as a possible league MVP, and rightfully so. However, I have to wonder if the lack of shots downfield is gameplanning, Trent's arm strength, or a combination of both. It's hard to dismiss JP's long bomb to Evans in the one game he played. While the longball isn't the end-all be-all of a qb, it is something that can change how opposing defenses play you. Overall, Trent has proved he can both win and lose games. While the players have spoken loudly on his behalf, it is concerning his inability to get them to play in the biggest two games of the season so far.

Grade: B-. This is based off an A+ for the first quarter and a D for the second.

Running Backs - Of all our positions on the team, I believe this to be our most solid. Marshawn is a true player with great power and desire. Jackson has both great vision and great hands. I think both guys would be consistent 100 yards halfbacks on any team with a good line. Unfortunately, I don't think we've seen either of their true potential. Neither are Barry Sanders, who could make something out of nothing, but clearly have enough talent to not make us question them.

Grade B+. I truly believe their performance is due to poor blocking and playcalling.

O-Line - This group is in a battle with the D-Line for the most overpaid. Passblocking is definitely their strong suit, even in blitzes. The only blitzes that seem effective against us are the corner blitzes, but that's more on the halfback than the O-Line. Peters seems to be the main suspect in most sacks, but overall, not bad. Run blocking is the biggest weakness of the team. The goal of any team is to be able to say they are going to run the ball, have the opposing defense be ready for it, but be absolutely powerless to stop it. The opposing D's have been stopping our running game with only 3 or 4 in the box. It would be hard for any team to be forced to pass the ball as much as the Bills have to in order to compensate for this porous running game.

Grade C-. These guys are paid way too much to look this bad.

Wide Receivers - Lee Evans has finally become an elite receiver. He was good before, but primarily at the deep game. This year he has done it all and really the anchor we need him to be. Josh Reed finally cured his dropping problem and proved to be a huge asset to the offense. This may be four years later, but better late than never. After these two, we have role guys at best. No one has stepped up the way we would like and Hardy, while a rookie, should be showing more by now. Unfortunately, the TE's are grouped in here and will hurt the overall unit. Royal has worn out his welcome and seems to do just enough to keep his job in the past, but that time is probably over. Derek Fine may not be the answer, but deserves the chance to prove it.

Grade C+. Lee Evans isn't enough to offset the play of everyone else.

D-Line - This unit has done nothing but prove it can't get any pressure by themselves. While great against the run, the opposing QB has way too much time to throw the ball if not being blitzed against. While I'm not a huge stat guy, there are alarmingly different stats from when Shobel plays and when he doesn't and everyone who plays against him fears the crap out of him. Personally, I don't see it but I will give the benefit of the doubt. Like the O-Line, they play one part of their job great, but the other side is so bad that it doesn't equal out.

Grade C+ Doesn't seem to lose any games, but doesn't win them either. Paid too much for this kind of performance

Linebackers - This unit is the runner-up behind the runningbacks. This unit has dealt with injuries and hasn't dropped off much. Plays very solid, but that's about it. Besides the Chargers game, have never really made any big plays. These guys are only going to get better, but need to take up a notch if we are going to ever be a top tier D

Grade B. Good, not Great

Defensive Backs - If injuries and lack of pass rush weren't plaguing this team, these guys would be elite. This is the year where we finally have been able appreciate how good McGee and Greer can be. Youboty finally showed up and when healthy, can hold up against the best in the league. McKelvin is the only weak spot so far and really needs to show more for where he was drafted and how far into the season he is. Whitners versatility and leadership have proven he was not a reach-pick in the draft. Scott's play at safety has really created a great rotation between himself and Simpson.

Grade - B+ Need to re-sign Greer

Special Team - It's all been downhill for this unit. Haven't seen the explosiveness we saw in Week 1 again. We keep getting pinned inside the 10 on punts, which is more again the D than Parrish, and McKelvin needs to stop returning kicks. Lindell has been great and our coverage has done a good job as well. Overall, we are good, not great.

Grade - B

Coaching - The players love them, they have a plan that can work, and they have changed the mentality of the team. However, the plan is unchangeable and meant for a different team. It seems as though the coaching staff is unable to adjust to turnovers nor the weakness our personel create. This was apparent in our first game against Denver last year. We play to win by a close margin, but that requires a level of discipline and perfect playing that isn't always going to be there. The inability to get this team ready to beat two division games where the Bills were favored is in-excuseable and creates many questions.

Grade - B-

Overall Team Grade- B- Halfway into the season we are mathmatically headed towards 10-6 which would pry make the playoffs. However, this is more due to the fact that the AFC is not as strong as it was last year. Also, we are 1-3 in our last 4 games and that is the only streak you can rely on right now to judge this team. The Patriots game, in New England, is a must-win game if the Bills are to prove themselves a playoff team. As of right now, if they were to make the playoffs, I don't have much confident in them making it out of the first round. On the brightside, the only team to have beaten us this year has been the Cardinals which means that if we clean up the mistakes, we are a pretty solid team. We cannot continue to play for the fourth quarter. The coaches need to play to our players strengths and run more screens, reverses, and blitzing Whitner.

Season Prediction: 9-7 and a wildcard birth.

I'm gonna break it down by pieces of the team. Once again, just my meaningless opinion which I like to get other's opinions on.

Quarterback - Trent has definitely established himself the better QB between himself and JP. Through the first quarter of the season, his name was mentioned as a possible league MVP, and rightfully so. However, I have to wonder if the lack of shots downfield is gameplanning, Trent's arm strength, or a combination of both. It's hard to dismiss JP's long bomb to Evans in the one game he played. While the longball isn't the end-all be-all of a qb, it is something that can change how opposing defenses play you. Overall, Trent has proved he can both win and lose games. While the players have spoken loudly on his behalf, it is concerning his inability to get them to play in the biggest two games of the season so far.

Grade: B-. This is based off an A+ for the first quarter and a D for the second.

Running Backs - Of all our positions on the team, I believe this to be our most solid. Marshawn is a true player with great power and desire. Jackson has both great vision and great hands. I think both guys would be consistent 100 yards halfbacks on any team with a good line. Unfortunately, I don't think we've seen either of their true potential. Neither are Barry Sanders, who could make something out of nothing, but clearly have enough talent to not make us question them.

Grade B+. I truly believe their performance is due to poor blocking and playcalling.

O-Line - This group is in a battle with the D-Line for the most overpaid. Passblocking is definitely their strong suit, even in blitzes. The only blitzes that seem effective against us are the corner blitzes, but that's more on the halfback than the O-Line. Peters seems to be the main suspect in most sacks, but overall, not bad. Run blocking is the biggest weakness of the team. The goal of any team is to be able to say they are going to run the ball, have the opposing defense be ready for it, but be absolutely powerless to stop it. The opposing D's have been stopping our running game with only 3 or 4 in the box. It would be hard for any team to be forced to pass the ball as much as the Bills have to in order to compensate for this porous running game.

Grade C-. These guys are paid way too much to look this bad.

Wide Receivers - Lee Evans has finally become an elite receiver. He was good before, but primarily at the deep game. This year he has done it all and really the anchor we need him to be. Josh Reed finally cured his dropping problem and proved to be a huge asset to the offense. This may be four years later, but better late than never. After these two, we have role guys at best. No one has stepped up the way we would like and Hardy, while a rookie, should be showing more by now. Unfortunately, the TE's are grouped in here and will hurt the overall unit. Royal has worn out his welcome and seems to do just enough to keep his job in the past, but that time is probably over. Derek Fine may not be the answer, but deserves the chance to prove it.

Grade C+. Lee Evans isn't enough to offset the play of everyone else.

D-Line - This unit has done nothing but prove it can't get any pressure by themselves. While great against the run, the opposing QB has way too much time to throw the ball if not being blitzed against. While I'm not a huge stat guy, there are alarmingly different stats from when Shobel plays and when he doesn't and everyone who plays against him fears the crap out of him. Personally, I don't see it but I will give the benefit of the doubt. Like the O-Line, they play one part of their job great, but the other side is so bad that it doesn't equal out.

Grade C+ Doesn't seem to lose any games, but doesn't win them either. Paid too much for this kind of performance

Linebackers - This unit is the runner-up behind the runningbacks. This unit has dealt with injuries and hasn't dropped off much. Plays very solid, but that's about it. Besides the Chargers game, have never really made any big plays. These guys are only going to get better, but need to take up a notch if we are going to ever be a top tier D

Grade B. Good, not Great

Defensive Backs - If injuries and lack of pass rush weren't plaguing this team, these guys would be elite. This is the year where we finally have been able appreciate how good McGee and Greer can be. Youboty finally showed up and when healthy, can hold up against the best in the league. McKelvin is the only weak spot so far and really needs to show more for where he was drafted and how far into the season he is. Whitners versatility and leadership have proven he was not a reach-pick in the draft. Scott's play at safety has really created a great rotation between himself and Simpson.

Grade - B+ Need to re-sign Greer

Special Team - It's all been downhill for this unit. Haven't seen the explosiveness we saw in Week 1 again. We keep getting pinned inside the 10 on punts, which is more again the D than Parrish, and McKelvin needs to stop returning kicks. Lindell has been great and our coverage has done a good job as well. Overall, we are good, not great.

Grade - B

Coaching - The players love them, they have a plan that can work, and they have changed the mentality of the team. However, the plan is unchangeable and meant for a different team. It seems as though the coaching staff is unable to adjust to turnovers nor the weakness our personel create. This was apparent in our first game against Denver last year. We play to win by a close margin, but that requires a level of discipline and perfect playing that isn't always going to be there. The inability to get this team ready to beat two division games where the Bills were favored is in-excuseable and creates many questions.

Grade - B-

Overall Team Grade- B- Halfway into the season we are mathmatically headed towards 10-6 which would pry make the playoffs. However, this is more due to the fact that the AFC is not as strong as it was last year. Also, we are 1-3 in our last 4 games and that is the only streak you can rely on right now to judge this team. The Patriots game, in New England, is a must-win game if the Bills are to prove themselves a playoff team. As of right now, if they were to make the playoffs, I don't have much confident in them making it out of the first round. On the brightside, the only team to have beaten us this year has been the Cardinals which means that if we clean up the mistakes, we are a pretty solid team. We cannot continue to play for the fourth quarter. The coaches need to play to our players strengths and run more screens, reverses, and blitzing Whitner.

Season Prediction: 9-7 and a wildcard birth.

Way too generous on the coaching mark; I give them a 'C' at best. They march the Bills to an 8 - 8 season or less, they'll get a 'D'.

Way too generous on the coaching mark; I give them a 'C' at best. They march the Bills to an 8 - 8 season or less, they'll get a 'D'.

I would agree based on the direction the team looks like it's going in. But as a whole body of work, 5-3 is still a playoff team right now and tied for first in the east. There is a reason they won the games they did, so I have to give credit where credit is due. Look at where they were through 8 games last year. C+ at the least

This is much better than you're Trent lost the game thread but you graded too easy.

3 of the first 5 games needed comebacks in the 4th quarter and I would think there were problems in those games that are being exploited now.

B- does make sense for a 5/3 record but I really haven't liked what I have seen since the Chargers game and the week we played b4 that was, well just plain bad. C to C+ overall, we are lucky to be tied for 1st at this point. I hope they can get it together again.