What was that penalty on the kickoff? It should've been on the Je

a player who is partially out of bounds becomes part of the field as "out of bounds". if you have one foot out and catch the ball, you are out of bounds, and the ball is out of bounds. therefore, on a kick off, thats a penalty

tasker was a genius when he thought to do it.

Welker's done it before, too. I know it's already been asked and answered, but here's the official out-of-bounds rule:

Section 20 Out of Bounds and Inbounds Spot

Article 1 A player or an Official is Out of Bounds when he touches:

(a) A boundary line; or

(b) Anything other than a player, an official, or a pylon on or outside a boundary line.

Article 2 The Ball is Out of Bounds when:

(a) the runner is out of bounds;

(b) while in player possession, it touches a boundary line or anything other than a player

or an official on or outside such line; or

© a loose ball touches a boundary line or anything on or outside such line.

Article 3 The Inbounds Spot is a spot 70 feet 9 inches in from the sideline on the yard line

passing through the spot where the ball or a runner is out of bounds between the goal lines.

Under certain conditions, the ball is dead in a side zone or has been placed there as the

result of a penalty. See 7-3-7 and 7-5-1 to 6.

Note: Ordinarily the out-of-bounds spot is the spot where the ball crossed a sideline. However,

if a ball, while still within a boundary line, is declared out of bounds because of

touching anything that is out of bounds, the out-of-bounds spot is on the yard line

through the spot of the ball at the instant of such touching.

A.R. 3.9 Runner A1, with his feet inbounds, touches an official who is touching a sideline.

Ruling: Inbounds.

A.R. 3.10 Runner A1, with his feet inbounds, touches any player who is touching a sideline.

Ruling: Inbounds.

A.R. 3.11 Runner A1 fumbles backwards, and the loose ball touches a defensive player B1 who

is standing on sideline, and then ball rebounds into the field of play where B1 falls on it.

Ruling: Dead ball and out of bounds as soon as the loose ball touches the player on

sideline. Offensive team’s ball at inbounds spot. Start game clock on snap.

A.R. 3.12 Runner A1 touches the defensive team’s pylon with any part of his body.

Ruling: Not out of bounds. The runner is not out of bounds until he touches anything

other than a player or a pylon on or outside the boundary. Position of the ball is determined

by its position when the runner touches out of bounds.

And because there is no specific exception for a free kick -- perhaps there should be? -- the call was correct. (I was initially pissed by it, but only because from my vantage point at the far end of the field, I thought he'd touched it before he stepped out.)

Welker's done it before, too. I know it's already been asked and answered, but here's the official out-of-bounds rule:

And because there is no specific exception for a free kick -- perhaps there should be? -- the call was correct. (I was initially pissed by it, but only because from my vantage point at the far end of the field, I thought he'd touched it before he stepped out.)

smart play by Washington. Hate the rule.

though on a punt (or pass play) a person who has been OOB cannot be the first person to touch the ball ... i believe even on a fumble I've seen it ruled illegal touching for an OOB player to be the one to recover ... these rules seem to be inconsistent with one another.

though on a punt (or pass play) a person who has been OOB cannot be the first person to touch the ball ... i believe even on a fumble I've seen it ruled illegal touching for an OOB player to be the one to recover ... these rules seem to be inconsistent with one another.

That's if the player goes out of bounds and is the first player to touch the ball after coming back in. Washington was still out.

The replay clearly shows the guy putting his foot out of bounds and then straining to catch the ball. He looked like a first baseman stretching for a throw. He surely knew the rule and was congratulated on the sidelines. Good for him to use the rule to his team's advantage but still a terrible rule........

I agree. The most amazing part about this whole play was that the Jets player actually knew the rule and executed it to his team's favor. As dumb as the rule is.....and in this day of stupid football players.......that was one of the most heads up plays I've seen in a long time.

Stupid Rule = :wallbash:

Great Play

I agree. The most amazing part about this whole play was that the Jets player actually knew the rule and executed it to his team's favor. As dumb as the rule is.....and in this day of stupid football players.......that was one of the most heads up plays I've seen in a long time.

Stupid Rule = :wallbash:

Great Play

Exactly.

The ball was on the field, and the guy was out of bounds and grabbed the ball, which never went out of bounds. So why should that penalty be on the kicking team? Doesn't the ball actually have to GO out of bounds to be a penalty? That put them at the 40 to start the drive, instead of at the 12 where he committed the infraction, apparently on our behalf.

Can anybody explain that one?

The way it is stipulated in the rules is that because the returner "had to" step out of bounds in order to field the kick, it is considered to have been kicked out of bounds, hence the penalty and ball placement at the 40. The Jets returner's foot was out of bounds when he touched the ball.

I was just as baffled and outraged at it as you are. Someone explained it to me today actually, because I asked him. He also said that this rule gets brought up at every offseason meeting regarding changes to rules, but they never get enough votes to change it.

Insane.